Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension query - Widow and Childrens allowances exceed limit?

clive_hughes

A Pensions Ledger query,  please - 

Soldier killed Oct. 1918, leaving a widow and three dependant children.  Pensions card shows an initial grant paid of £8 in Nov., then a pension of 29s. 6d. from May 1919.  However in Sept. 1920 the Ledger seems to state "Ineligible" on the grounds that "WP & CA at present exceed amount of CA payable" (I take this to be Widows Pension and Child Allowance). 

Can this ineligibility be explained a bit more?  If seeing the original images would be helpful, this was 27591 William Williams. 

Clive

13 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

However in Sept. 1920 the Ledger seems to state "Ineligible" on the grounds that "WP & CA at present exceed amount of CA payable" (I take this to be Widows Pension and Child Allowance). 

Can this ineligibility be explained a bit more?  If seeing the original images would be helpful, this was 27591 William Williams. 

27591 William Williams, Welsh Regiment.

I think the explanation is that this annotation probably relates to a 1920 decision on an application for an Alternative Pension Widow's - as seen in the ledger reference 5/APW/1075 [top right of ledger card]

The standard Widow's pension seems to have gone through earlier in 1919 under 5/W/2861 [see PC & another PL]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

They claimed an Alternative Pension, which was rejected as the current pension was a higher amount and so would remain in payment instead of swapping to the Alternative Pension.

image.png

Craig

Ah, that seems clear.  Thank you gentlemen for your assistance.

Clive