Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Not eligible' on card, several Awards/Appeals entries on Ledger

BridgetM

Card headed 'Dependant's Pension' , Man: William Fred Culverhouse, 1/7 Middlesex Regtl No 202966
killed in Action 4.5.17
Dependant: Mr Frank Culverhouse, Scotland, North Bradley, Trowbridge - Father
Pension 3/6 a week from 16.2.18
Date awarded 2.7.18 Not eligible under  Art 21.1.c

Ledger entry [matching info. for man and dependant] has a list under 'Particulars of Awards' which appear to be sums of money and dates plus some abbreviations, the adjoining 'Appeals' column has a shorter list of abbreviations. [Link: https://www.fold3.com/image/645634162?xid=1022&_ga=2.4901690.880905778.1603018347-1129092693.1584011195 ]

Wm Fred was an only son, helping his father run a small farm and milk/egg round; his mother died in 1920. the father and sister may have struggled to cope without him. Was there any system for people like this to ask for financial help, is that is what was happening here? I have only recently started to look at the Pension records in detail, so would welcome some guidance on interpretation.

Was there any system for people like this to ask for financial help, is that is what was happening here? I

The person on the claim had applied for assistance under Article 21 of the Royal Warrant as a parent who had been wholly or partially financially dependant on the son - it was appears that a pension was being paid in to 1923.

Craig

Thanks for the response Craig. May I ask a follow up question, please? Other cards I have looked at just show a weekly sum awarded and when, I have not seen 'Not eligible under  Art 21.1.c' in the 'If refused, reason' section of a card before. Does this mean he was not eligible for a weekly sum under one section of Article 21, but he then applied for assistance under another section, getting annual sums to be invested in a pension? Sorry if I am slow on the uptake here!

29 minutes ago, BridgetM said:

Thanks for the response Craig. May I ask a follow up question, please? Other cards I have looked at just show a weekly sum awarded and when, I have not seen 'Not eligible under  Art 21.1.c' in the 'If refused, reason' section of a card before. Does this mean he was not eligible for a weekly sum under one section of Article 21, but he then applied for assistance under another section, getting annual sums to be invested in a pension? Sorry if I am slow on the uptake here!

The notes added to cards and ledgers are often scribbled on at various times, unless any particular reference is shown with a date you cannot be certain when it was added. They were also not updated with every change nor in general past around 1924 ish.

It means that we can see they had a pension for a period from Feb 1918 and a period in 1920/23 but outside of that the card/ledger does not tell us.

Craig