Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Foreign volunteers for Austria-Hungary?

Norwester

Did the Austro-Hungarian military attract any foreign volunteers during WW1? If so, I'd be curious to know anything about them.

By "foreign" here I mean people who were not subjects of Austria-Hungary (so expats returning from abroad doesn't count for me).

Józef Piłsudksi is the only example I'm aware of, since as far as I know he was born a Russian subject and never became an Austro-Hungarian national (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by Norwester

Where to start-  the question of "nationality" in A-H is a seriously large one. With the break-up of the Empire in 1918, then many Czechs,Poles, Slovaks, Ruthenes,etc found themselves citizens of new states

That's irrelevant to my question though. I'm asking about people who, during 1914-1918, were not subjects of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

They may well be something in this recent book:

Die Habsburgermonarchie 1848-1918. Band XI, Die Habsburgermonarchie und der Erste Weltkrieg. 2. Teilband, Weltkriegsstatistik Österreich-Ungarn 1914-1918 : Bevölkerungsbewegung, Kriegstote, Kriegswirtschaft

Helmut Rumpler; Anatol Schmied-Kowarzik; Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften. Institut für Neuzeit- und Zeitgeschichtsforschung.,
Wien : Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften 2014