Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-1915 star entitlement

Guest KiwiKeith

Can somebody please help with this

My Grandfather was deployed in France on active service in May 1915 according to regimental records. I have downloaded his MIC and he was not awarded the 1914 -1915 star.

Would there be a reason for this ? I understand that anyone that served in the theatre of war before 31st Dec 1915 was entitled to this.

Thanks

Keith

post-31-1109311779.jpg

I understand that anyone that served in the theatre of war before 31st Dec 1915 was entitled to this.

Keith,

This is correct. What regimental records do you have to show that your Grandfather was in France by May 1915?

Regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I am going from a letter from the area secretary of the Royal regiment of fusiliers.

This letter was written as a brief record of Ernies war service to be read at his funeral. I presume that Brigadier Chater consulted with records held at the museum in Warwick.

to quote " After training at the depot of the 7th battalion, he was sent to join the regiment on active service in May 1915. The battalion had been in the field since March of that year and he served with it until wounded in January 1917"

I can see that I will have to follow this up and obtain originals.

Can I make a claim on my grandfathers behalf ?

Cheers

Keith

I'm not sure if it is still possible to claim WWI medals. I suspect that if it is, the Medal Office will need irrefutable evidence that he had served in a theatre of war in 1915. It is possible that there is a second Medal Card for your Grandfather. I have come across a few examples where 1914 Stars appear on seperate cards to the British War and Victory Medals, so it's worth checking. Alternatively, I suppose it's possible the Brigadier mis-read 1916 for 1915.

Does the Medal Card mention a SWB (Silver War Badge)? If so, the roll will at least give you a date of enlistment.

Good luck!

Regards

Gavin

Just wondering - Gould states that the 7th Bn.,Royal Fusiliers didn't reach France until 24 July,1916, which would explain the lack of a 1914-15 star.

It is probable that he went from the depot to the battalion which was still in England, and the statement indicating that he was on active service meant that. Someone might be able to clarify. Was a soldier serving with a battalion still in England on active service, or did he have to be in France?

I think the confusion has arisen because the old Royal Warwickshire Regiment Musem is now the Museum of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. The RWR became the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers in the early 1960's. In this case he would have belonged to 7th RWR which had it HQ in Coventry. 1/7 RWR went to France with 48th (South Midland) Division in March 1915, although it would appear your man did not go with them. There are two possibilities. He was with 2/7 th RWR which went to France in 1916 or was transferred to the MGC and entered a theatre of war with them in 1916 or later. Looking at his MIC I would say the latter is the case and that would explain his lack of a star.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry,

According again to the letter from the Area Secretary, Ernie joined up for service in 1914 at the outbeak of the war. However he was only 16 at the time, so joined the 1/7 in the field 2 months after the battalion was deployed.

His serial number 2231, being quite low would indicate that this is probably correct.

I only hope that this information is correcct, otherwise I am wasting a whole lot of energy chasing the wrong battalion.

regards

Keith

Keith

There seems to be some problems with the source of the information. It appears this was taken from funeral euology. Who wrote it I wonder? If it was written from memory by a family member the facts may be incorrect. On the other hand, the war diary of 1/7th Royal Warwicks for 1915 , does mention that they had to send underage soldiers home from the front. I am not sure of the rules for underage soldiers regarding medal entitlement, but assuming the information is correct, he may have been serving abroad (the battalion was in Belgium at Plugstreet Wood during this period) but refused a star because he shouldn't have been there, officially, in the first place because of his age. Somebody else may be able throw more light on this particular aspect.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry,

The letter was written by Brigadier J.K Chater, the area secretary for the warwickshire regiment of royal fusiliers. It was sent to the warden of Whittle court, the rest home where my Grandfather died, for the vicar to use when reading the eulogy. I only recieved a copy this week after my parents looked through Ernies personal effects.

Perhaps I am wrongly assuming that the information is correct. But given who wrote the letter would have access to this information it should be accurate.

I can see that I will have to get in touch with the Fusiliers again.

Keith

Keith

I would be very interested to see what documentary evidence the museum has for indvidual soldiers. I have used the museum quite often over the years, and have not found any personal records. This does not mean to say that I have complete knowledge of their holdings of course, it will be interesting to see the source of the information.

If I can help further, please let me know.

Terry Reeves

Keith,

If it turns out that he was due a 1914-15 Star the bad news is that the Medal Office state that they have no replacements available and they do not intend to get any.Sorry mate.

Fred W

Terry & Phil,

Sorry for the slip up. I completely overlooked the obvious Warwicks name on the MIC and assumed Fusiliers from the letter. Consider it advancing years!

Cheers,

The other Terry

Hi Keith,

Just another thought. My Father-in-Law was in the Border Regiment during WW1 and his medals are shown on two MIC's The 1914-15 Star on one under his original number,2214, the Victory and War Medal on another under his final number,240558. I wonder if your garandfather had an original number when he first joined the Warwicks. Although 2231 looks as though this might have been the first one he was given.

Fred W