Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wearing medals

links2lincs

My father would like to wear his father's and grandfather's medals. They are mounted on their respective medal mounting bars, but he doesn't want to make holes in his suit. Can anyone suggest a way he can wear them.

Thanks

How are his medals mounted now, are  you able to show a photo(s)of his medal group?

Hi

My Cousin has a vest made of strong material which she wears over her blouse and she has had loops attached so she can wear her fathers WW1 MM, 15 trio, 1939-45 Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, WW2 War Medal and Aust Service Medal on her right hand side with her mothers WW2 War Medal and Aust Service Medal below.

That way no holes in blouse or jacket.

make a piece of strong card and a couple of holes in the front for the bar clips, then fold the back down to slide in his top pocket

There is a plastic insert in which the medals can be attached to that goes in the jacket pocket,but that would only be for wearing on left side of the wearer.

Thank you for all the responses. Both medal groups are mounted in the same way (see photo of reverse). The other group consists of two medals. My father would have to wear them on his right and unfortunately there's no pocket on that side.

IMG_0138.JPG

I may have the solution to your problem links. I will take a couple photos of one of my uniforms when its daylight here in eastern Canada & post.

Best...Bryan

1474192087_uniform1003.JPG.32270499510723ba340bbe07b2dbbf27.JPGLinks, these little loops are called 'beckets' & sewn onto an RN uniform to accommodate the exact 1WW trio of medals you have.

Very cloudy day where I am in Canada today & photos dont come out all that great, but these are fairly clear & will give you the idea.

If you can manage a needle & thread (or perhaps you know someone who is handy sewing) its not that difficult to do.

Best wishes...Bryan

You wont have holes punched into your jacket with these beckets.beckets001.JPG.1a14478e8ddb3b1b79164c6aa8e5052b.JPG

uniform1 003.JPG

beckets001.JPG

close up....

uniform1 002.JPG

Edited by RNCVR