Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps of Delville Wood Area - September 1916 - 32nd Royal Fusiliers

RichardsProductions99

Greetings all!

I wondered if anyone on here have any copies of maps showing the above area around the time of the 15th September 1916?

I am particularly looking for examples that show the trenches/position occupied by the 32nd Royal Fusiliers before they advanced towards Flers.

I am also intrigued to know the position of Battalion HQ for the Fusiliers, and also of 'FLARE Lane', which features prominently in the signalling plans for the advance?

Thank you, to anyone who can assist. 

All the best,

Chris

Chris, National Library of Scotland have a 3 SEP 1916 map.  Chasseaud puts Flare Alley in this map square (ie where the blue marker is).

Cheers @WhiteStarLine!

I think Flare Alley, and Flare Lane are two different locations though, as the blue marker you pointed out seems quite far back behind Flers, which was in German hands at that point.

In the Battalion War Diary for the 15th-17th September 1916, it says that a visual signals station will be established at: "S 6 D 9.3. Runners will be freely used and relay posts have been arranged at intervals of 300 yards in FLARE LANE".

All the best,

Chris

That makes much more sense location wise; indeed there is a visible lane around that spot, almost parallel to what is now the D197.

Most grateful for your help!

Just to clarify - Google Street View takes images from the nearest modern road.  The pin is from 57c.S.6.d.9.3 while the image is from the road looking towards the signals station.