Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Interpretation

midletonman2001

This is my first posting and I would like to ask, if I may, for some help with my Grand Father's MRC.

I have been unable to read all the information on this card and wonder if the knowledgeable members of this forum with their greater experience might be able to give me some guidance.

I would be most grateful for any help.

I have attached an image of the card.

I am sure this is the right card because I have his Honorary Discharge Certificate and my cousin (His eldest Grandchild) has the medals. What puzzles me is that he does not have the SWB. He was discharged to pension.

Many thanks

post-31-1109295593.jpg

It appears he is:

10125 Pte Michael Connors

2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers

Entered the war 14/08/1914

Awarded the 1914 Star & Clasp, British War Medal & Victory Medal

Awarded the Silver War Badge

Also appears be may have become a Prisoner of War.

The writing on the card is unclear but the website advises number 10125.

You can read about the Connaught Rangers here. The 2nd Battalion was in the 2nd Division at the start of the war.

http://www.1914-1918.net/connaught.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Many thanks Tim

My Grandfather was indeed a prisoner of War and I know he was in Geissen because of stamp on the back of a postcard sent to my Great Grandfather in 1915,

From what my Mam and my Aunt recalled of him I thought he would have had the British medal and the Silver War Medal. I just could not work out what the stuff in the centre meant.

My cousin has just sent a message saying that there are only two medals in his possession - it is a mystery what has happened to the other two - SWB and the British.

My Aunt has just recalled which hospital he went to on his return – Shanakeil in Cork – so I have another possible source of information on him if I can find out that happened to those records.

Once again may thanks for your help.

It's not unusual for the SWB to be split from the medal group, rarely will you find them all together.

The BWM, may have possibly gone the way of so many over the years, down the "Pawn Shop" and into the melting pot, because of the Silver content. It's not unusual also to find Star and VM pairings because of this.

Maybe the SWB went the same way...!!!

Sorry to be pessimistic, maybe your cousin can have another dig around, they may turn up.

Mark

You could well be right Mark

Or its just carelessness,

The few pictures I have of my Grandfather have been crayoned!!! :angry::angry:

Either way it's sad.

I will ask him to have another look as you suggest - he keeps them in his garage (shudder) apparently - mind you, Mam had something to say about that so hoping for improvement there.

Think I might try and get myself some replicas - I gather that is possible - and display them with the pic of him in uniform before the war.

Thanks for your interest

Paul

Replicas are easy to obtain, ebay is a good bet.

Good luck, I hope you find the originals.

Welcome to the forum btw, we're all a friendly bunch here.

Mark