Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required medical records

Skipman

Pte McKinnon I now know was wounded in October 1918 serving with the 1/6th West Yorks. GSW right hand. Not sure what the entry on the other page means or even if it refers to McKinnon. Is there more to this than I'm seeing. Was he just wounded in the right hand about 14/10/1918 and have 6 day's treatment, did he go to UK? What does number 35682 refer to?  Some of the pages have been cropped so cannot see what some of the entries refer to. Any help appreciated.

Image 1 

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Mike

McKinnon 1a.JPG

McKinnon 1b.JPG

McKinnon 2a.JPG

McKinnon 2b.JPG

McKinnon 3.JPG

Edited by Skipman

Looking at some of the other entries it looks like the extra number is some sort of reference number added later. perhaps when they were compiling the statistics.

The 'operations' book shows that his operation took place at 18 US General Hospital in Camiers so it seems he was operated on there and then sent home.

Craig

Thanks as always Craig. That's very useful. These records are also very useful. One of the records mentions his length of service in the filed so I now know roughly when he went to France. There seem to be more of these added quite often so I keep an eye on them. Thanks again.

Mike

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

You seem to have landed well with Mckinnon for being able to track his progress.

Craig

Yes I think so. I'm learning as I go with help from your good self, and others. It also means I have a few more months war diaries to look at. I'm getting to the soldiers that are a bit more difficult to track now. So will be popping up on the forum a bit more often, you'll be glad to know. :rolleyes:

Mike

I'm sure the Medical Research Committee added to or annotated entries in these books. Does the 35682 appear on two different entries? Could it be an operation number? No FMP access so can't see originals.

I did read it at first as WD Eye FB removed. Not sure what WD Exe means.

TEW

here's an example page courtesy findmypast, suggesting that 35682 is unique to McKinnon and may be a pationt number. There seem to be two series running ?

818254806_GwfMcKinnonASkipmanQ.JPG.d05fa45e0f70997ed52b6eba398dae6c.JPG

I now see in another register that it is simlpy the Admissions register number for him, in this case 18 BGH, 13/10/18

Edited by charlie962

7 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Robertson seems to either be the surgeon or the Dr reviewing the case.

Craig

So do you think the "WounD Excised FB removed. Sutured" refers to McKinnon and is a secondary ailment, or that of another?

Mike

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The register page heading is name of operator and date of operation

Thanks charlie962 It's a pity they've cropped that part of some of the other entries.

Mike

4 minutes ago, Skipman said:

refers to McKinnon and is a secondary ailment, or that of another?

Yes it is McKinnon and surely all part of same ongoing treatment GSW Hand ?

The top of the page is headed

image.png

In most cases they've written across columns so the Name of the Dr and the date is the date of operation and the surgeon.

The procedure undertaken looks like it was to tidy up the wound and stitch it.
image.png

Craig

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I read it he was wounded 11/10, then admitted 18 GH 13/10 and evacuated to UK 18/10

Thanks charlie962. Where are you seeing 'wounded 11/10' ? I see 14th, but not 11th?

Mike

The bit above the 18 is short for Hospital, written sort of like HP but blended together.

TEW

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

The bit above the 18 is short for Hospital, written sort of like HP but blended together.

TEW

Ah I see that now. So wounded 14th discharged 18th yes?

Mike

Thanks you all very much for the usual excellent help. Feel free to add any other thoughts, particularly if you think I'm wrong with the date of wounding. It is all very much appreciated.

Mike

5 hours ago, Skipman said:

Where are you seeing 'wounded 11/10' ?

On the hospital admissions page that has his original admission to 18 GH and gives his age, service etc you will see in the far right column a date that is a day or two earlier than 18GH admission date for each man. I have guessed (intelligently ?) this is the original wounding date. I am guessing also the 1 alongside is perhaps eligible for wound stripe but for that I may be way off. Easy to check both out by seeing if anyone else has a 1 for toothache and the first supposition could be tested by looking through the other men for one with a service record that gives actual wounding date. What do others think ?

Charlie

25 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

On the hospital admissions page that has his original admission to 18 GH and gives his age, service etc you will see in the far right column a date that is a day or two earlier than 18GH admission date for each man. I have guessed (intelligently ?) this is the original wounding date. I am guessing also the 1 alongside is perhaps eligible for wound stripe but for that I may be way off. Easy to check both out by seeing if anyone else has a 1 for toothache and the first supposition could be tested by looking through the other men for one with a service record that gives actual wounding date. What do others think ?

Charlie

You have have guessed very intelligently. Got you now 6 days ward K Presbyterian 11/10 Not sure about the "1" though but could be. Thanks again

Mike

temp McKinnon 2.JPG