Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewehr 88 Identification Help

abrowntn

Just received my Gewehr 88 in the mail from an online auction. It has no markings, mismatched numbers, and is missing a bolt head. Can anyone tell me any info about this? A normal 8x57js round does not chamber in it. Is this one of the civilian over production rifles? What is the possible value, for curiousity more than anything? Also, if anyone knows where to find an extra bolt head and extractor or has one they can part with, message me please! Thank you!

20201014_163405.jpg

20201014_163417.jpg

20201014_163451.jpg

20201014_163427.jpg

It does not appear to have been modified for the later S-Patrone spitzer (pointed) bullet (which requires a small notch cut in the receiver to accommodate the fractionally longer bullet. So if it is unmodified it should chamber the M/88 round (with a round nosed bullet).

Is it Marked Gew 88 as usual on the side? your pics don't show.

Gew 88s are generally fairly well marked (with inspection stamps etc) -- can't say I have seen an unmarked one before.

It looks like there is a german fraktur stamp on the stock disc shown on your last pic

If you examine the receiver ring closely is it possible it was lightly marked or has been scrubbed quite large numbers were used by Turkey and often refinished most of those I have seen still have markings visible.

There were Chinese made versions of G-88 sometimes called "Hanyang Rifles" but those had a different rear sight and stock set up so I don't think it is one of those.

Interesting rifle.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the response. It is not marked Gew 88 on the side. There are very few markings on this rifle as is. Here are a few extra pictures of the rifle.

20201015_135256.jpg

20201015_135350.jpg

20201015_135405.jpg

20201015_135455.jpg

Should be dissasembled and looks for info under wood,as mentioned unreworked Gew88 for 8x57J cartridge,anyway on reciever it looks like removed barell with jacket sometimes.

Greetings from a cave on the outskirts of Nottingham.

This is just a suggestion as to who may have used this weapon.  I am wondering if I could have been used in South Africa

by Boer forces.  I have seen similar sock decoration on other  weapons used by them.  

Old Robin Hood

Interesting idea. After days of research, I am still not too certain on the origins of this rifle, and I appreciate all the help so far. If anyone is curious or needs more pictures, I will be glad to take them! Also, if anyone knows of a source for a bolt head and extractor so I can restore a beautiful rifle, I would appreciate that too.

Have you removed the action from the stock and looked for additional marks as Andybsk suggests?

If you look around the gun sites there was someone manufacturing small runs of Gew 88 bolt heads a couple of years ago - all the standard suppliers seem to be out.

Might be worth searching eBay - complete bolts show up every so often (I just checked there are two complete bolts listed currently with widely varying prices!)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

• 1 year later...

Hi! I'm so so sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this is the first and only time I've seen markings similar to the Gew. 88 I've just picked up.

The rifle is from the Spandau arsenal, made in 1889. It has both S and Z markings, but doesn't have any of the '05 modifications. No Turkish stampings either. The initials are J.E.H., and the same flower design crops up. On the other side are the initials MP, (military police?) and AA. From all I've heard it might be South African, but I don't know if it represents a regiment, division, armory, or army in general. If any new information has come to light about it, by all means please share

831747893_IMG_20220205_2057494641.jpg.f3f4d30def7ac5de1155b1c414ea6ca9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take a guess and these are simple ownership markings of a non-military origin - my brother-in-laws shotgun was marked by his dad the same way, ruining what was a highly collectable piece!