Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers In Lancashire

Dr Maxine Watson

If his year of birth was 1902 He would have been too young to enlist until 1920?

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Might have missed it but what evidence do you have that he was a Connaught Ranger ?

Craig

The details are in Maxine’s second post, on 14th October. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'd like to find out why he was in Lancashire.  The ages don't match up with 18 but many lied about their age at that time.  I know my Mum and Dad both enlisted at 17 and my husbands Dad at 16 - but that was for WW2 service.  

7 minutes ago, johnboy said:

If his year of birth was 1902 He would have been too young to enlist until 1920?

Yes, and even if he joined underage it’s less likely that someone of that age would have transferred to the MGC and fathered a child within a relatively short span of time.  Is the age of the mother at the time of birth known?

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, Dr Maxine Watson said:

I'd like to find out why he was in Lancashire.  The ages don't match up with 18 but many lied about their age at that time.  I know my Mum and Dad both enlisted at 17 and my husbands Dad at 16 - but that was for WW2 service.  

Do you have something that says for certain that he was in the Connaughts ?

Craig

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

The details are in Maxine’s second post, on 14th October. 

Quite possiblly I could be on a wild goose chase here but every avenue I go down I learn more about the life and times.   My great grand's Mum was only 14 when she had him..... 

1 minute ago, Dr Maxine Watson said:

Quite possiblly I could be on a wild goose chase here but every avenue I go down I learn more about the life and times.   My great grand's Mum was only 14 when she had him..... 

So, it's only an assumption that it might be him ? There's nothing else in the family which suggests that he served with the connaughts ?

Craig

3 minutes ago, Dr Maxine Watson said:

I suspect that you need to think this through a bit more logically Maxine and focus in on the actual concrete evidence that you have no matter how small, otherwise it’s easy to stray into too much speculation and verge on fantasy.

Edited by FROGSMILE

31 minutes ago, Dr Maxine Watson said:

Agreed.  We'll close this thread down and I'll undertake some more research.  Thanks for all your help.

Please don’t be disheartened, and do come back as and when you’re able to flesh things out to a reasonable start point.  There are lots of people here who genuinely want to help.  Good luck!

Edited by FROGSMILE

orgive me if I have this wrong but you mention in an earlier post DNA. Did this show a direct hit with the man in question or another family member?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for response, I'm regrouping forces  at the moment....researching throws up more questions than it answers.... But the Conaught rangers are an interesting lot...was amazed to find they were such a musical lot too, great band...as you say some of the places in Lanc's and Cheshire were not a picnic to be stationed at... Wet, cold and windy.  My Mum-in -law was nearly swept into the sea at Morecambe Bay...square bashing on the prom she called it.   

• 3 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 18:34, Chris_Baker said:

No. He was Thomas Collinson. Joined up with a chap named McNulty. Trained at Kinsale.

Sorry to jump on the thread but would be grateful to know if this chap was Martin McNulty - Regards Mark