Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Military Historical Society now closed

MaureenE

https://www.facebook.com/usicafhr/posts/3630782346984735?__tn__=-R

Facebook:  Centre for Armed Forces Historical Research - CAFHR, USI  11 October at 00:05 

"Formed in 1983 as the Indian Military Collectors Society for all with an interest in the military history of the Indian sub-continent (now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar (Burma) and the region), the Indian Military Historical Society (IMHS), of which Field Marshal Sir John Chapple is President, have decided they have no option but to disband at the end of this year. This decision will bring to an end the publication of “Durbar” their quarterly journal and to the closure of their website www.durbaronline.co.uk.

However all is not lost because with effect from January 2021 the entire 37 year run of Durbar, together with various other articles and book details taken from durbaronline, will be accessible in the restricted members only area of The Military Historical Society website https://www.militaryhistoricalsociety.co.uk. A single word search will generate relevant references to all 148 editions of Durbar and to all 282 quarterly Bulletins of the MHS. Articles may then be accessed, downloaded and printed as required. Concurrently the MHS will be more actively seeking articles for publication in their quarterly Bulletin or annual Special Numbers relating to the sub-continent.

For further information please do see https://www.militaryhistoricalsociety.co.uk. 
New members welcome".

Edit: Title changed to Indian Military Historical Society now closed

Edited by MaureenE

• MaureenE changed the title to Indian Military Historical Society to close at the end of the year.

Great shame....

• 8 months later...

In my humble opinion those of us who supported and valued our IMHS have lost out in a big way.

Adil in Delhi was prepared to take the journal on and keep it going - I certainly would have supported that with research and articles.

The Committee, but perhaps not everyone on it, seemed to have planned and executed the demise of the IMHS without canvassing for Membership opinions and attitudes.

The MHS is a great society that is well managed, but the Members' interests, as viewed in the journal, seem to be more into old uniforms, head dress and accoutrements.

I am not enthused to research and write for it about military units and their battlefield actions, because I don't think that enough members would welcome that sort of intrusion into what appears to be a cosy world based on the QM's stores.  But good luck to those lads and lasses that enjoy such a world.

But we IMHS supporters had our day and the journal was always interesting.  Thanks to Cliff's editorship I was encouraged into serious military research and writing, which proved to be an important therapy after a very bad bout of mental illness.  Rana backed me up by consolidating some of my articles, plus brand new ones, into a couple of useful books on the Army of Undivided India in both World Wars.

But I miss the familiar contributors' names and the feeling of comradeship that some of us shared.

In a sense it was like serving in a good, proud unit - and then having to leave it.  Shahbash IMHS from an old soldier who valued and took pride in his Membership.

Harry

Edited by bushfighter
mis-spelling

Harry if you do stumble across an alternative I for one would very much appreciate the heads up. A very very sad loss.

regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

Due to various reasons (mainly involving a mortgage) I let my membership of the Indian Military Collectors Society lapse some years ago, but I always regretted it. With a change in circumstances, I decide to rejoin just as the decision was made to close down! Typical!
Because of this, I have recently joined the Military Historical Society so I could gain access to the Durbar database, in addition to the MHS journal; their data base and excellent publications.
I would also be delighted to hear if a new Indian related historical society restarts, but in the meanwhile, I hope the the MHS include Indian related articles in their journals.
Bushfighter, I for one would read any MHS articles from you with much interest.
I have discovered the East India Company and Raj Research Group 1600 - 1919 on Facebook which I find quite fascinating and interesting (In fact it is the main reason I go onto Fb these days!) .

Edited by Sepoy

Dear All,

I contributed a few articles to DURBAR regarding British IA officers, and feel - as bushfighter so succinctly put it - that we had our day...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

14 hours ago, Sepoy said:

I decide to rejoin just as the decision was made to close down! Typical!

So now we know whom to blame.

Sepoy

Shabash & thank you for advising me of: East India Company and Raj Research Group 1600 - 1919.

I've joined.

Harry

4 hours ago, bushfighter said:

Sepoy

Shabash & thank you for advising me of: East India Company and Raj Research Group 1600 - 1919.

I've joined.

Harry

I hope you enjoy it! 

Sepoy

NB I will make myself known to you when I see you pop up there.

• MaureenE changed the title to Indian Military Historical Society now closed

Sepoy

Likewise. Have joined. Thank you

Regards

Dave

All,

I too lament the loss of the IMHS - I did manage to get a couple of articles published down the years, including the very last issue.

Sepoy,

I have just joined East India Company and Raj Research Group 1600 - 1919 as well - thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Matthew

Edited by Matthew B.

• 5 weeks later...

THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER.

The August Bulletin of The Military Historical Society has fought its way out of the QM's Stores and has edged onto the battlefield with a couple of articles.

Let's hope for further progress towards the sharper end of military life.

Harry

(I don't come on GWF much now because I am IT thick, and it literally takes me about 20 frustrating minutes to find a theatre that I want.  This probably sums me up - but my days are running out now and I want to research and write, rather than get angry with an internet site.  Harry)