Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying army band

Colin M

This photo postcard was sent to my grandmother and is postmarked 17th October 1918. The sender mentions "our band" and "we are on duty at the officers mess from 9 till dawn". The signature is indecipherable, but there is a printed stamp elsewhere on the card which appears to read "E.Bransom, Tarporley". Tarporley is in Cheshire. The seated officer seems to be wearing a dog collar and could be a chaplain?

Can anyone identify the group? Thanks. Colin M.Band.jpg.8f99886c4872501cf815a19488f87b17.jpg

5 minutes ago, Colin M said:

This photo postcard was sent to my grandmother and is postmarked 17th October 1918. The signature is indecipherable. 

The seated officer seems to be wearing a dog collar and could be a chaplain?

The seated officer is indeed a Chaplain. 

Any chance of a scan of the back of the card. The collective eyes of the forum have managed to decipher many an “indecipherable”signature.

A close up of the shoulder titles may help. 

Edited by GWF1967

12 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

The seated officer is indeed a Chaplain. 

Any chance of a scan of the back of the card. The collective eyes of the forum have managed to decipher many an “indecipherable”signature.

A close up of the shoulder titles may help. 

As requested. Good luck with the signature!:)Band_closeup.JPG.fa2f5346a8ee48a5c3035f9ed6477c88.JPGBand_card_signature.JPG.29a1c540e35c60eb7be53cc2ef64c01d.JPG

8 minutes ago, Colin M said:

As requested. Good luck with the signature!:)Band_closeup.JPG.fa2f5346a8ee48a5c3035f9ed6477c88.JPG

The shoulder titles appear to be Royal Field Artillery. Your assessment of the signature as “indecipherable”does not seem to be an exaggeration. 😂

The 'signature' is simply his initials - looks like "RJW". 

The only visible shoulder titles are of a large 'block' style. The cellist's looks like it ends with the letter 'A', so almost certainly RFA. T he CF is wearing 2 overseas service chevrons. 

In 1911, chauffeur Edwin Bransom and family lived at The Lodge, Portal House, Tarporley. There's a small cart (military?) and a Union Flag flying in the left background of the photo in front of what might be a stable. A faint possibility of the Officers' Mess being in the house and the photo taken in the grounds?
Acknown

I'd have thought E Bransom is the photographer. There are examples of his postcard work in Tarporley on the internet. Could be the same fellow though.

I suggest the resident band at Portal( Auxiliary) Hospital. A black and white revival style house, and the stables or whatever are in the photo background.

The comments on the volunteers at the hospital on the BRCS Archive are quite extensive.

Thank you all for you input and suggestions. So, in summary it seems to be a RFA band and chaplain (looking somewhat dour!) possibly at the Portal Auxiliary Hospital in Tarporley which is considerably more than I knew at the outset. The names of the individuals or the band remains a mystery......................

Colin M