Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE-INTERRED 60 MILES AWAY - TWICE!!

bobpike

A little puzzler for you, any suggestions welcome

Pte Reginald Augustus Sparkes, 8th East Surreys kis 21.3.1918, a friend’s great-grandad’s cousin, is buried at Chauny.Communal Cemetery Extension.

Going through some family paperwork she found a document stating that Reginald was moved from Chauny to Regina Trench cemetery (see attachment the other two attachments, are from the CWGC website record for Reginald).

Is it likely that he was re-buried in Chauny (as per first two attachments), thenoved to Regina Trench (some 60 miles to the north), and then moved back to the same spot in Chauny? :

Its 60 miles from Chauny to Regina Trench which is a battlefield cemetery – created where the dead originally fell in the battle of the Somme.  The CWGC website only refers to concentration from two other smaller battlefield cemeteries nearby

The CWGC website says the cemetery at Chauny was created specifically as a concentration cemetery – why would they re-concentrate to somewhere else?

Then, why is the document referring to the reburial in Regina Trench not showing on Reginald’s CWGC record? 

Burial Return - Chauny.JPG

Graves Registration - Chauny.JPG

move to Grandcourt. Headstone confirmation Chauny (1).jpg

8 hours ago, bobpike said:

move to Grandcourt. Headstone confirmation Chauny (1).jpg

Is it possible to establish whether this is one complete document - or two documents copied together ?

Tom

Would it have been because space was needed for local civilian burials, One of my uncles was buried originally in Montmirail Convent Cemetery, after which he was removed and buried in Eperney French National cemetery 42km away,until they needed the space then moved him again to Terlincthun 300km from Eperney.

I don't know about the British army, but certainly it is very common for soldiers in either the French or Belgian army to be relocated two or even three times. I have never investigated why.

Thank you for your help. Ray and your suggestions, it still seems rather odd, I have never come across anything like this before with reference to Allied soldiers,

Tom,  According to my friend it is pinned to another document, which is what can be seen on the right

9 hours ago, bobpike said:

Tom,  According to my friend it is pinned to another document, which is what can be seen on the right

Just to clarify - so we are looking at two separate documents. Given the dates on those documents I'd have to suggest that the body was never moved from Chauny, which leaves you wondering what the document referring to Reginal Trench is about ? The only suggestion I can make is that it might have been possible that plans were afoot late in 1920 to exhume Chauny Communal Cemetery Extension to Regina Trench and the paperwork talking of the exhumations and reburials was raised pre-emptively ? Its interesting that the form referring to reburial at Regina Trench doesn't give a grave reference.

I'd have to say that I'm a bit dubious about that - but it isn't impossible. Chauny Communal Cemetery Extension is a 1,000+ burial ground, but then a good number of smaller cemeteries were themselves concentrated to Chauny. Maybe that altered plans ?

Try asking CWGC if the "Cemetery File" for Chauny Communal Cemetery Extension contains any relevant notes.

Tom