Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found-My soldier grandad

Doug Lewis

I hope the forum pals don't mind me sharing this,but I knew if any group of people would understand you would.

It's a bit of a story so please bare with me. My mother was adopted at birth after being evacuated during WW2 from Lewisham to here in Wolverhampton. She managed to trace her family to find out she was the youngest of 14 but for various reasons none of them knew much of their family history as the family had been split up,so I paid to have her family history researched. Which was completed and sent to me early this week. On the birth certificate of her oldest sister 1920 it records that her father was an army pensioner of no occupation. I have seen a picture of my grandad in a uniform of a postman in the Royal Engineers circa WW2. The only picture that I thought my mother had of her father, but to my amazement after an emotional couple of hours with my mother going through the family research she said "I have another photograph of your grandad" and produced this picture,after the past three years researching other men I now have my own grandad to research. I'm quite emotional it also feels "funny" to say Grandad and soldier in First World War in the same sentence because I'm used to saying Great Grandad and Great Uncles,if you understand what I mean. I hope I haven't bored you. Here is my grandad Albert James Bailey R.A.M.C aged 19 1915

Regards Doug

post-8-1109279003.jpg

Fantastic news, Doug, you must be chuffed. It is about 23 months ago that a Pal "found" my grandad; if only I had a photo of him.

Peter in Vancouver

Doug,

Great news, will no doubt be a rewarding and emotional research project.

Andy

Doug,

Not a boring story at all but one that I can relate to myself.

Being an adopted person, I have always felt a need to know about my ancestry and through recent family research and some good help from the forum I have found out that my natural Grandfather was a Private in the 1ST Battalion Cameron Highlanders.

I have yet to obtain a picture of him, which I hope to do in a few weeks when I will visit my ‘birth’ Uncle and Aunty for the very first time. These are his only living children of five.

I am 49 and this is going to be the closest I will ever get to my ‘birth’ mother. I’m a bit nervous.

My Mum and Dad have both gone now, hope they understand.

Any photos that I get I will proudly display on the forum for all to share.

Everyone keep sharing your stories, as it is fascinating.

Paul.

Doug you must be really really chuffed!!

Although I have pictures of my Gt Grandad later in life there is nothing from the Great War which is obviously everyone's main interest on this Forum.

very jealous...... <_< , but happy for you too :)

Soren

Fascinating story, Doug. Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep the news coming as you learn more.

Nice photo too, you must be really proud.

Christina

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words, I'm a very proud grandson :D

Regards Doug.

Thanks for sharing it with us Doug. Like you I have recently discovered relatives from the Great War so can appreciate how you feel.

It's the photos that do it really, I have only one photo of one of my gt granddads, and it is something I treasure, it would be nice to get hold of some more photos of my other relatives

I am really pleased for you, it just shows theres hope for everyone, well done!!

Len

Hi Doug,

I'd just like to second the comments here - this is great news.

I also have a genuine question, for the sake of curiosity - why evacuated to Wolverhampton? As an industrial town, I would have thought that it would have been equally dangerous there as in Lewisham - Was it to the coutnryside areas to the west of the town?

regards

doogal :)

Nice one Doug great news

I assume you have downloaded his medal index card?

Private 2252 A J Bailey RAMC

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=6

Best regards

Paul.

Doogal

I have no idea why Wolverhampton,she lived close to the centre of town near to factorys, so I suppose she was no safer.

Paul

Yes I have thanks.

Regards Doug