Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frederick Hathaway

MoodieCheshire

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light infantry service number 8436.   Possible something to do with the Blues and Royal ? Wife’s Name Elizabeth.

Any information would be gratefully received .

image.png

Frederick Hathaway alias Frederick Edwin Albert Parish has a surviving service record on FindmyPast that you should also find on Ancestry.

No link to Blues and Royals but he was a horsekeeper before enlistment 1907 in OBLI.

He went with 1st OBLI to Mesopotamia in 1914 but was fortunate to be posted back to India in June 1915 thus avoided the Siege of Kut that together with the subsequent captivity killed the majority of his colleagues.

charlie

Edited by charlie962

There is a note in his OBLI service record saying he fraudulantly enlisted to OBLI whilst still in the Army Reserve. Since he enlisted OBLI aged 24 in 1907 perhaps he did indeed have prior service in Cavalry ?

Edited by charlie962

Well I didn’t expect that! So the attached picture is him wearing OBLI uniform?  And any ideas  with regards to his medal card .  Thank you for the information provided 

image.jpeg

The medal card looks incomplete in that it should also show entitlement to 1914/15 Star. Can I ask where you got his OBLI service number from originally ?

Charlie

If you look at the service recor there are next of kin adresses for a John Parish in Toronto as well as an uncle Albert Stepping in Medway.  Does this make sense ?

His presence in India is recorded in his Service record as well as the 1911 Census.

I have a question about the uniform worn by the mounted soldier in the original post. Could it be ASC dress uniform ? One perhaps for @FROGSMILE

charlie

39 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

His presence in India is recorded in his Service record as well as the 1911 Census.

I have a question about the uniform worn by the mounted soldier in the original post. Could it be ASC dress uniform ? One perhaps for @FROGSMILE

charlie

Yes, it is Army Service Corps (ASC) full dress, but with undress forage cap.

6F231C3C-FD5C-4B24-BA64-89F2F9690EE6.jpeg

90227380-D239-486C-A1FF-267CEEB885C8.jpeg

BF7DF343-4323-4406-AB6A-A5D1E0542F91.jpeg

0C7DC885-24A2-42BA-80A5-DA2DCF570344.jpeg

B375C5A5-33C3-4E0C-B8CA-1597EDC7394F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

54 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, it is ASC full dress, but with undress forage cap.

Thank you for that expert ID. Perhaps there was confusion between wearing Blues and being in the Blues and Royals (which were not formed until c 1969 !) ,

That leads me on to a second question for the OP and why I wanted the service number verified. I think OP also needs to establish from his friend where his Hathaway originated and when, please.

Charlie

Edit-

To me the more likely candidate is a Frederick Hathaway b c 1888 Oxford to Richard and Ellen,  married 1912 Elizabeth Hamlin, joined 4th Oxfordshire LI Militia in Nov 1905 and bought out a week later. Joined ASC  as T/27964 in Aug 1909,2 years with Colours 10 with Reserve. So is on ASC Census return for 1911 but became a Reservist in 1912 when he married. Probably mobilised 1914 back to ASC and continued to serve with them WW1. MC shows entry France 10/8/14. Served at Remounts Depot amongst others.  (various other records exist to expand on this man's time)

(by coincidence his is the MIC adjacent to 8436 on the National Archives copy !)

edited to add a bit more detail on ASC man

Edited by charlie962

Frogsmile have you his a link to his service record that I might be able to follow. Is the uniform you posted something you have? It’s almost immaculate ! Thanks for the info gents

MoodieCheshire- there is not an ASC service record as such but various pieces that can be assembled ! Please could you verify where your Hathaway originates from- ie was it Oxford ?

Charlie

PS yes Frogsmile has (once more) provided superb detail of ASC uniform.

Oxfordshire born lived in Berkshire no where else as far as I’m aware, I will let you know if I find anything else out 

Edited by MoodieCheshire

1 minute ago, MoodieCheshire said:

Oxfordshire born lived in Berkshire now where else as far as I’m aware,

Thanks, That fits perfectly with the ASC man I noted above so I suggest the 8436 man , his alias and the other bits in the first few posts are a red-herring .

When you can confirm this  then I will point you in direction of other snippets if you wish.

Charlie

19 hours ago, charlie962 said:

If you look at the service recor there are next of kin adresses for a John Parish in Toronto as well as an uncle Albert Stepping in Medway.  Does this make sense ?

I don't think it's Stepping....I thought Tipping, but at the moment neither seems to fit.

On 11/10/2020 at 19:37, sadbrewer said:

I don't think it's Stepping....I thought Tipping, but at the moment neither seems to fit.

We've moved on from there as the service number given in the OP was not the right man.

See post 14 for the correct soldier !

charlie

On 11/10/2020 at 19:01, MoodieCheshire said:

Yes that’s been confirmed. Berkshire and Oxfordshire born and bread

Is your colleague also in agreement that the service number given in your OP was incorrect ? I am quite sure of that but you have not yet said where that number was sourced.

charlie

Was as best he could Decipher from a very old note but could not be certain of it. I looked it up and after playing around with the numbers, got a Frederick Hathaway medal card but was unsure if this was one and the same person, as was told he was Blues and Royals.  So asked on this forum for any help to identify him! Thanks for all the help.

Edited by MoodieCheshire