Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

 Michael Feery: Croke Park, Bloody Sunday


Recommended Posts

@Jervis do you think you got everything you needed to answer your questions re Michael Feery?

 

Do you have any plans re the data collected re Feery?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, doyle3 said:

@Jervis do you think you got everything you needed to answer your questions re Michael Feery?

 

Do you have any plans re the data collected re Feery?


Yes indeed I did. It wasn’t what I expected, but very interesting all the same to get an insight into the type of life Feery led. No plans on doing more with this info. 
 

Thanks for your help

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started a thread for him a few minutes ago :)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@doyle3

 

If you click on the three little dots on the top right of you post, you get a drop down menu, click "hide" on that and your post disappears

 

Before you do that copy and paste what you need into the new thread

Edited by corisande
Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60

   A thank you to Jervis and all others for this thread.  For 2 reasons- 1) Having read the book "Dear Dirty Dublin" many years ago- about poverty and society in pre-1914 Dublin, then Feery and the details of his life put on GWF have walked straight out of the pages of the book.   2)  You have alerted me to the listings of Irish Petty Sessions on Ancestry- thats the good news. The bad news is that the man we think is my Great-Grandfather has several pages of references to him on this listing and  makes Feery, by comparison, look very well behaved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

The bad news is that the man we think is my Great-Grandfather has several pages of references to him on this listing and  makes Feery, by comparison, look very well behaved.

 

“Der Apffel fellt nicht weit vom Baum.” - Hieronymus Megiser, 1605.

Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
25 minutes ago, IPT said:

 

“Der Apffel fellt nicht weit vom Baum.” - Hieronymus Megiser, 1605.

 

     Exactly- I will try to avoid  magistrates in Donegal for as long as I can.  If not,then I have "disturbed family background" lined up for mitigation,thanks to GWF and Ancestry.  There could be a new successor in all this to the Somerville and Ross-the Irish R.M. stories- if "the men in black" get me.:wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

   A thank you to Jervis and all others for this thread.  For 2 reasons- 1) Having read the book "Dear Dirty Dublin" many years ago- about poverty and society in pre-1914 Dublin, then Feery and the details of his life put on GWF have walked straight out of the pages of the book.   2)  You have alerted me to the listings of Irish Petty Sessions on Ancestry- thats the good news. The bad news is that the man we think is my Great-Grandfather has several pages of references to him on this listing and  makes Feery, by comparison, look very well behaved.

 

looking through the prison and workhouse records I'm expecting to see my Niland family who lived in the area. I'd not seen these records until another researcher found them on FindMypast. I'd assumed that having done apprenticeships and employed as coopers they would have been safe from the Workhouse and have stayed away from prison. So wrong.

 

https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2019/03/03/the-nilands-uncovering-a-19th-century-working-class-dublin-family-story-in-the-american-pension-files/

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My heart felt thanks for posting all this great info. I am a relative of Michael Feery's (his brother was my great grandfather) and until now all I knew about him was that he died on Bloody Sunday and served during WWI. I love that there is a real human story starting to unfold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Barry F said:

My heart felt thanks for posting all this great info. I am a relative of Michael Feery's (his brother was my great grandfather) and until now all I knew about him was that he died on Bloody Sunday and served during WWI. I love that there is a real human story starting to unfold.

welcome aboard Barry :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...