Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Ogilvie-Grant

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

I am starting preliminary research on James Ogilvie-Grant, 11th Earl of Seafield, Clan Chief and Captain.

He was in the 3rd Bn Cameron Highlanders, attached to the 5th Bn.

He died of wounds on 12 November 1915 and is buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.

I decided to look into his military career after seeing his name on the Glen Urquart War Memorial by Loch Ness.

Whilst not wanting the Pals to do my research for me I would be grateful for some pointers :rolleyes:.

Has anything been written on this man before? I have 'Google' searched the web and all the enteries I have seen say he was killed in action in France, but there doesn't seem to be much else.

If someone has a clue as to when, and where, he was wounded I would be grateful to hear it. And I would also be grateful if someone could point me to a good book on the Cameron Highlanders, particularly the 3rd & 5th Battalions.

Many thanks for any assistance on this one! :wub:

Lee,

You will find a short biography on page 197 & 199 and photograph page 198 of The Earl of Seafield in "The Sword of the North - Highland Memories of the Great War" by Dugald MacEchern. pub 1923. Unfortunately no mention is made on the action he received his wounds (SDGW), in fact in a previous paragraph unrelated to his biography it mentions that eleven days after taking command of the 5th Camerons he was killed in action?

Alan Seymour

Lee

I had a look at PROCAT but couldn't find any reference for his service papers.

Not very helpful I'm afraid but I thought I'd try

Michael

Lee

As you probably know James Ogilvie- Grant was born and brought up in New Zealand. Have you seen the photograph of him as a boy with a penny farthing ?

If you search Google using Cycling Photographs Victorian & Edwardian you will find it.

Myrtle

Guest Hill 60

Alan - Thank you, I'll see if I can get the book from the library. The SDGW-CD states he died of wounds, but other references I've seen say he was killed in action in France, the CWGC state he is buried in Belgium.

HP - Thanks for the site info.

Michael - Thank you for looking, even if you were unsuccessful it was good of you.

Myrtle - What a cute little kid! Glad I never had a bike like that!! Thanks for the tip. It turned up trumps for Jean as there are a few pictures of WWI military cyclists there as well.

Lee & Jean

I thought Jean would like the site if she hadn't seen it already. I think the stance of the left hand man in "Three British Officers with Cycles " is rather fetching. :)