Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Nameless Trench

egbert

Nameless Trench was a scene of severe fighting and heavy casualties at the end of March 1918, when the 4th Australian Infantry Brigade engaged IR 49. Where is it please? Any trenchmap?

Here you go, Egbert.

Centre of scan. (Between Gommecourt and Hebuterne)...

Dave.

post-4-1109260354.jpg

As usually: thanx Dave!! So actually Nameless trench is the old German 1st line as of 1st of July 1916! Please, do you have a date on your scanned map by chance?

Dave, do you have by chance also a scan from around March/April 1918 with area Hebuterne south (to include cemetery where my Granddad fought against 13 Bn/ 4th Brig AIF) towards west of Serre????

Egbert,

Have you looked at the Australian Official History here;

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/5/index.asp

That will have some information for you. I am going to the AWM in a few weeks so if you are looking for any specific days from the 13th Battalion War Diary, I could copy them for you.

Thanks for the Revolver Kanone info, by the way.

Chris Henschke

Thanks for the offer Chris: when I stumbled over the webpage I copied all the Hebuterne stuff immediately. so its already in my Granddads archive. They have some nice Hebuterne March 1918 pics though -they would be nice.... :D

So actually Nameless trench is the old German 1st line as of 1st of July 1916! Please, do you have a date on your scanned map by chance?

So it is! - I'd not noticed that when I scanned it!

The date of this map is 14th June 1918. (It's also map sheet 57DNE ed.5d(local), if this is of any use to you).

Dave.

Dave, do you have by chance also a scan from around March/April 1918 with area Hebuterne south (to include cemetery where my Granddad fought against 13 Bn/ 4th Brig AIF) towards west of Serre????

Unfortunately, I'm pretty devoid of maps of this area between Feb.1917 and June 1918 (I'm unsure if there actually were any, to be honest), so ed. 5d is the nearest I can do.

Anyway, this scan shows the cemetery in the centre (near Pasteur Trench). Is this what you are looking for? If I've got the wrong place, just say and I'll do it again.

Dave.

post-4-1109276098.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm pretty devoid of maps of this area between Feb.1917 and June 1918 (I'm unsure if there actually were any, to be honest),

You're quite welcome, Egbert.

There are "in between" maps ,by the way. I've found reference to a May 1918 edition of the same map. Whether there are any more - I don't know.

Dave.

Dave,

I am very much interested in May edition, since Grandad fought near Hebuterne between 26 March and 3 April 1918. Fighting their way coming from Achiet-le-Petit via Serre up to Hebuterne cemetery

Dave,

I am very much interested in May edition,

I don't have that one Egbert, but I notice that the WFA have it as a B&W copy. I can't see the trenches being much different to the June edition though.

Dave.

Dave,

I am very much interested in May edition,

I don't have that one Egbert,

However....

A German map showing the frontline as of 5th may...

post-4-1109370194.jpg

...a German view of the trenches in existance (15th August 1918)...

post-4-1109370323.jpg

The next 3 are from the (British) Official History showing the situation on certain dates...

1. 27th March 1918...

post-4-1109370458.jpg

2...31st march 1918...

post-4-1109370530.jpg

3....5th April 1918...

post-4-1109370610.jpg

Excellent Dave!

Except the fact that the Brit official history is more "favorable optimistic" than the actual A.I.F. (Bean) history, which clearly states that "my Granddad" held the Hebuterne cemetery (Southern Hebuterne) until after dark on the 28th :P . Only than the cemetery was taken by the 13th Bn

• 2 years later...

No, I didn't delete them Egbert. I think its just down to the age of the thread.

I'll have to re-scan them if I'm to repost them, but first, I'll have to find the maps themselves (Nearly all my British trenchmaps have been packaged away ready to be sold!!!! :ph34r: ). Leave it with me though and I'll get around to it some time over the next few days (The Official history and German maps will be no problem as I'm not selling them).

Dave

This image is from the maps extracts bit on my website (I thought that I may have put an extract on there as it's from one of my all time favourite maps). If you want a wider view of the more general area, just say...

post-357-1201351669.jpg

The german view...

post-357-1201351937.jpg

5th April O.H. map...

post-357-1201352257.jpg

29th March....

post-357-1201352431.jpg