Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Album Lt A.V Monk RN

Alan k

• Michelle Young changed the title to Photo Album Lt A.V Monk RN

There's 96 photos in the book and 6 loose .photos of  other ships from the fleet in action and some of the officers and crew at work and play on board. 

Might you post some of the photos Alan?  I am certain many of us would be interested in viewing them.

Thanks,

Bryan

have turned your last shot 90deg, easier to view....  the B\S photos are really nice Alan.

20201005_185856.jpg.9635502487dd3ee69179b3d1f330cf25.jpg

same......

officers grand fleet.jpg

officers.jpg

These are very interesting pictures of the Grand Fleet and at least some are definitely early in the war, when cameras were (supposed to be) banned.

Thanks very much for posting them.

Some of those shown are;-

Midshipman Arthur S. DONOVAN

Assistant Paymaster Hilton C. TIDY R.N.R.

‘Sky Pilot’ may be Rev. Cecil W. POIGNAND

Lt. Cmdr. William A. NORMAN R.N.R.

Lt. Cmdr. Eric C. WARD

Cdr. Guy P. BIGG WITHER

Regards,

Alf McM

Is there someone who could collect the album from Southend on Sea area and use the photos for the benefit of the forum? Unfortunately my photography skills are not quite adequate. 

Had another look at these. They show some early evidence of camouflage.

The HMAS Australia clearly shows the dark grey 'destroyer shape' painted on her hull to try and fool submarines.  These were carried by the battle cruisers early in the war, but there are few pictures with them.

One pic is wrongly captioned. It is not Bellerophon in the wake of Benbow, although Bellerophon was normally second ship in her division in 1915 (Benbow being flag of 4th BS).

It looks like it is Erin, normally her next ahead - there is also another shot captioned as Erin firing, but Iron Dukes look similar from this angle. Either way it looks like she is sporting another early camouflage experiment as well - a large light grey panel on the bow.

I was looking for anyone who has or had a connection to A.V. Monk so I could pass the album on. I will gladly give it to the forum if it would be of use. 

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Alan k said:

I was looking for anyone who has or had a connection to A.V. Monk so I could pass the album on. I will gladly give it to the forum if it would be of use. 

Unfortunately, the forum doesn’t have a repository for artefacts. Horatios suggestion above is a very good idea.

Michelle 

Can anyone tell me what headgear the Chaplain is wearing as I've never seen anything like it before. It looks a lot like a mortarboard, but I can't imagine that this would be very practical on board, let alone on deck at sea......! 

Thanks Horatio for that. I'll contact them. 

I'm sorry I couldn't take better photos, there are many interesting ones . If any member would like to copy the photos first I'll arrange postage. Hope I've stirred a memory or two.    

Regards Alank20201006_093759.jpg.f04516a685d0480d618336710afd1c52.jpg20201006_090744.jpg.dba4ac3582e892b60ea24b3de27634bf.jpg

The Chaplain's headwear does look like a mortarboard. Many naval chaplains had a dual appointment as Instructor. He would teach Midshipmen and ratings wanting to become Pety Officers. Perhaps he wore the mortarboard for classroom based lessons?

Regards,

Alf McM

TThanks Horatio for that. I'll contact them. 

I'm sorry I couldn't take better photos, there are many interesting ones . If any member would like to copy the photos first I'll arrange postage. Hope I've stirred a memory or two.    

Regards Alank20201006_093759.jpg.f04516a685d0480d618336710afd1c52.jpg20201006_090744.jpg.dba4ac3582e892b60ea24b3de27634bf.jpg

Royal Marines serving onboard were entitled to wear military moustaches (and some ship’s stewards and Reservists also go away with facial hair on top lip only), remainder had to sport full set, or nothing!

MB

photos reversed...

sailors.jpg

marines.jpg

Photos are very nice, thanks for posting.

Best...Bryan