Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gt gt grandfathers medal found on ebay

D Rider

that'll be why all those old cap badges look as smooth as a 20yr old kylie minogue's bottom cheek then......

42 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Pioneer John Sutcliffe  enlisted 28th January 1917  discharged from duty aged 29 (reason sickness) on the 19th July 1918 

awarded SWB No 433 190  previously 9th Training reserve Bn , Reg No 33144

annoyingly it makes no mention of when he was gassed on the SWB page.

18 minutes ago, D Rider said:

that'll be why all those old cap badges look as smooth as a 20yr old kylie minogue's bottom cheek then......

Yes it will do a number on brass badges also.  I have a couple shots of well polished medalsin my database but d***d if I can locate them now !!

Here is a comparison image of polished and unpolished medals:

compare_barlow_littlewood_700px.jpg

Edited by regimentalrogue

Thanks for posting RR.  Lots of Brasso application there!  Deffo see the highlights are worn down. 

I have one (Victorian) worse than that but I am unable to locate it in my photo data base.  Will post should I locate it.

Best...Bryan

There's a pension doc for him under 281981 in the WFA pension docs of FOLD3.

Neurasthenia attributed to his service.

Cheers,

Derek.

thanks derek, aye I have a copy of it ,which is how I confirmed his service number.....

I have just received his medal in the post and having just held it I wonder when he himself last saw and held it or the last time a family member did the same.....

How do people stop the medal ribbon fraying without ruining it? Also any recommendations on mounting companies or people to do it? I'm in southern scotland.

thanks

m

thanks derek, aye I have a copy of it ,which is how I confirmed his service number.....

I have just received his medal in the post and having just held it I wonder when he himself last saw and held it or the last time a family member did the same.....

How do people stop the medal ribbon fraying without ruining it? Also any recommendations on mounting companies or people to do it? I'm in southern scotland.

thanks

m

I think I've found the date when he was wounded if FWR gen is pukka, he was wounded/gassed 17th December 1917 and entitled to wear a wound stripe, there is a war office daily list number, can these be found still? Also some archive ref number NLS1917_Wlist21 , what is that ?

Hi m,

You can see an actual image of the published War Office Casualty List at the National Library of Scotland - link. NB the date of the publication of the list would usually post date the date of the actual wounding by several weeks.

Regards

Chris

Well done that man

Congrats on the medal find

I found my GU's medals after years of looking, always good to share our finds to encourage others looking that they can achieve the impossible

Regards and good on you again 

Be certain to check the big UK auction sites (DNW, Spinks), frequently they lot low value medals together in lots of a dozen or so like medals instead of listing them individually.  There is a good chance his medal might appear in one of those lots.

Of course the downside of that is you are buying a pile of medals you have no use for & dont want!

But its a possibility.....

Best.....Bryan

Further to my post above, there is a Search option on those auction sites.  Enter his name into that search box & if his medal is listed in their auction it will come up.

Saves you searching thru a huge number of lots.

Same would apply to most on line dealer listings.

I would not use any metal cleaner even silver dip will damage Medal surface if left too long. I clean my own medals annually for Remembrance Day by using a rubber eraser followed by gently rubbing with a make up pad and it works well without effecting the Medal surface.. As others have said there’s a hundred years of patina on the Medal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2020 at 22:22, D Rider said:

Well I got it back for the family, it cost £32 +pnp.   My gt gt grandfather was Pnr John Sutcliffe RE.   I wonder if the dealer or whoever else it was that bid on it is on here or t'other medal forum ?

I quite rare jackpot, congratulations :D

Just to balance this out a bit... My great grandfather's brother's QSA (Sgt, Lovat's Scouts) with clasps, was gone from the family so I started looking for it a few years back. Found it for sale on a medals website. I came right out and told the seller that the recipient was family.  I told him the whole story.  He agreed that it should be back in the family's custody and offered to sell it at his price, which was still too rich for my blood.  He was kind enough to photograph it from many angles and email me the photos. A couple of years later, he contacted me and lowered his price because he felt that it should stay in the family.  He didn't want to lose money on it, which I understood. So it is back in the family and is beautiful.  It is in a plastic case that looks as if it were made for medals and the ribbon, medal and clasps are in great shape. I guess I was lucky, but I know the satisfaction you must feel of bringing it back home.

Mike Morrison