Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gt gt grandfathers medal found on ebay

D Rider

I recently found my great great grandfathers medal for sale on said site and am unsure of how to proceed without the seller taking advantage...... If anyone on here had found a medal on ebay that was a relatives would you contact the seller and let them know that fact or would you just bid and keep quiet about it else they bump the price up more?

I wouldn't say anything and just make sure my bid is high enough.

Agree with AOK4, place a good high bid to try to ensure you win the medal.

Might you reveal which medal is and\or place a link to it here?

I might assist you in evaluating the medal. Or if alternately if you prefer, PM me pls.

Best wishes,

Bryan

2 hours ago, D Rider said:

I recently found my great great grandfathers medal for sale on said site and am unsure of how to proceed without the seller taking advantage...... If anyone on here had found a medal on ebay that was a relatives would you contact the seller and let them know that fact or would you just bid and keep quiet about it else they bump the price up more?

I’d keep quiet and bid high as suggested by Bryan. 

Medal prices are elastic  depending on Regiment, when and where a man served, whether he survived, and if killed, where and when.

Medals for an Infantry man killed on the 1st day of the Somme will command a much higher price than a man who died of wounds later in the offensive. 

Aye that's what I've done, it's a shame that that's the way it has to be to avoid being fleeced eh.... it's a corps medal,  he survived but was medically discharge due to being gassed.

There may not be a lot of interest in this medal as its named to a Corps, but then again, if a collector is a specific Corps collector that could pose a tense bidding situation, but that it improbable as this man was not a casualty. Also his Victory medal is missing & that will come into play as well, many collectors do not buy medals that have a missing medal(s).

A specific name collector is another possibility.

However I feel  the OP has a good a chance of securing his gggrandfather's medal in the ebay auction.

Best to all!

Bryan

2 minutes ago, D Rider said:

Aye that's what I've done, it's a shame that that's the way it has to be to avoid being fleeced eh.... it's a corps medal,  he survived but was medically discharge due to being gassed.

The seller may think this medal is valuable, thus the starting price. I have seen this for many years on ebay, also the silver value has to be factored in as well (& its not that great, certainly not 30 quid), but some sellers think the BWM is valuable as its silver.

I dont think his medical discharge will play heavily on the final price.  As GWF has mentioned,  if he was a 1st day of Somme casualty then that would considerably affect the final price achieved. 

Best...Bryan

20 minutes ago, D Rider said:

I dont wish to make comments on the integrity of the seller as I dont know who is selling the medal, & I expect that would not be permitted on the Forum, but that is exactly what the seller wants - two or more bidders bidding off each other for this kind of reason, each wants the medal(s) for a specific reason known only to each of them.  Hopefully this will not happen in this auction.

I feel the OP has a better than average chance of securing this medal.  Its simply not that desirable to a 1WW medal collector.  Many many soldiers were discharged due to various medical reasons in & out of action.

Best....Bryan

Well I got it back for the family, it cost £32 +pnp.   My gt gt grandfather was Pnr John Sutcliffe RE.   I wonder if the dealer or whoever else it was that bid on it is on here or t'other medal forum ?

Thats Super mate! It would not hurt to axk the vendor if he has any other medal(s) named to yr gggrandfather, & as you have already mentioned it on the BMF there would be eyes watching out for you there as well. 

Basically you have the most important medal here as it was the BWM, being silver, that got melted down in that big silver panic of 1981-82, your medal has fortunately survived.  The Victory on the other hand was bronze (or as some say, brass) its chances of survival was virtually 100%.  It "out there" & somewhere someone has it in their collection. 

IF you live long enough you may be able to re unite it with his BWM. 

Best....Bryan

I got a BWM to a serviceman with my surname. It was listed as being awarded to a MM winner. When I'd paid for it, the seller said he had the man's Military Medal also. I felt duty bound to buy the MM too, to avoid splitting them. 

It's not unknown for sellers to have matching medals as yet unadvertised. 

Edited by depaor01

1 hour ago, D Rider said:

Well I got it back for the family, it cost £32 +pnp.   My gt gt grandfather was Pnr John Sutcliffe RE.   I wonder if the dealer or whoever else it was that bid on it is on here or t'other medal forum ?

Congratulations. 

You May have been bidding against another branch of your own family tree!

Edited by GWF1967

Silver dip, then a soft wipe with silver powder, off my head cannot recall name, its a pink powder, been using it for yrs.  PM me Mat.

Best Bryan

37 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Personally I wouldn't polish it as it has a nice even patina.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 18.14.26.png

I’m with Ivor.

There’s 100 years  of history in that patina. 

good evening,

here's the Medal Card found on Ancestry :

30850_A001508-02182.jpg.7454d3a9635aec276647865730ea99b1.jpg

regads

michel

Ivor, is that a usual sort of conditioned medal as they go? my grandads LSGC and Canal zone GSM medals look dull, the canal zone clasp is patchy (shiny and dull vertical stripes, cheap monkey metal I guess?) 

Pioneer John Sutcliffe  enlisted 28th January 1917  discharged from duty aged 29 (reason sickness) on the 19th July 1918 

awarded SWB No 433 190  previously 9th Training reserve Bn , Reg No 33144

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I’m with Ivor.

There’s 100 years  of history in that patina. 

Polishing or not polishing a medal is a real bugbear with medal collectors & some can get really worked up about this topic in a discussion.  I dont wish to get into that here by mentioning it, but only the owner of the medal can mak the decision to polish or not to polish.

All I would like to mention is - if you are going to polish a medal(s)  ---  DONT use a harsh polish such as Silvo or Brasso.

This liquid will remove a tiny bit of the surface of the medal as you rub it into the surface, & you dont want that. Use it often enough & the surface of the medal will be worn down.

However, I have sent you a PM Mat,

Best.....Bryan