Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Medal - Examples of This Award to Royal Navy Personnel

Ivor Anderson

3 hours ago, GrenPen said:

Hello Froderick and Igor (google if this makes no sense)

Owing to the GWF forum software (Invision) upgrade, threads that had not seen any activity for 3 years (I think) were locked. This does not affect your posts on the British Medal Forum, which uses different software.

A rolling programme of unlocking the threads has been taking place, so all being well, it should be possible to add to the existing threads. 

Have not a clue what you are talking about!

To use a North American phrase, there are three "takeaways"

1. The forename of GWF user Ivor Anderson is not Igor but is Ivor

2. The forename of GWF user RNCVR is not Froderick but is Bryan. Igor and Froderick are mentioned in the film "Young Frankenstein".

3. Although you could not reply to the old thread last month owing to a change with the system, that should now be undone, and the ability to reply has been restored.

Ok, never saw the movie, dont know the characters & never heard expression 'takeaways' in that context, thought it was takeaway fast food!

However pleased topic is now open again, was unaware it was closed\locked.

PS - actually over here expression is -- 'take out food'

Edited by RNCVR
Food.

Whereas the Scots refer to it as a "carry out"...

Meanwhile, back on topic :)
G.V.R. (S.D. 1133. A. REILLY, DK. HD. R.N.R. BRISTOL CHANNEL. 22, DEC. 1917). Arthur Reilly was born in Wicklow, County Wicklow, Ireland on July 15, 1882, the son of William Reilly and Hannah Reilly. He enlisted with the Royal Naval Reserve on May 28, 1915, later serving aboard HMS Idaho on November 6, 1917, a steam yacht requisitioned by the Royal Navy in April 1915 and fitted with a machine gun for use as a patrol vessel, based at Milford Haven, Wales. Reilly was awarded his DSM, as mentioned in the London Gazette on February 22, 1918, "For services in action with enemy submarines." on December 22, 1917. It was possibly awarded for services when S.S. Hunsbrook was torpedoed by a U-boat in the Bristol Channel on that date, the ship being successfully beached with the loss of three lives. Lieutenant A.J. Mackenize, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, HMS Idaho won the Distinguished Service Cross on the same occasion. Reilly deserted the RNR on May 1, 1918 and "voluntarily surrendered" at Milford Haven on May 17th, duly awarded sixty days imprisonment with hard labour in Carmarthen Gaol (Jail). He was discharged from service on March 5, 1919. Sold in 1916: https://www.emedals.com/europe/great-britain/groups-single-decorations-for-gallantry/distinguished-service-medal/a-1917-d-s-m-for-action-with-enemy-submarine-in-bristol-channelScreen Shot 2020-11-25 at 08.34.52.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Although REILLY was borne on the books of HMS IDAHO, the Milford Haven base, from November 1917 he was actually serving in MARGUERITE. This was probably the Q-Ship of that name (the sloop HMS MARGUERITE being Malta based in early 1918). Neither REILLY nor Lt MacKENZIE appear to have any connection with the loss of  SS HUNSBROOK.

Thanks Horatio. Do you know how he earned the DSM? Are there naval unit diaries/ship's logs that would say?

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 19.04.28.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 19.03.55.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I have no further information, I am afraid. As you know, his was one of more than 50 DSMs "For Services in Action with Enemy Submarines" promulgated in the same LG. 

• 1 month later...

Does It mention this man?

Lt  Reginald William Stewart MC DSM RE

1890 - 1968

The son of a Methodist minister, Reginald  was born in Whitby, Yorkshire. A steam engine fitter by trade he enlisted into the Royal Navy aged 20, on the 27th July 1915 for the duration of the hostilities.  His description on enlistment showed him to be just over 6 ft tall with brown hair, grey eyes and of fresh connection.

An ERA 2nd class, he served with Pembroke II as part of the Defence Flotilla from enlistment until he joined HMS Coquette (Actaeon) on the 8th April 1915. He was in the engine room when she was sunk by a mine laid by the German submarine UC 10, approximately 10 nautical miles east of Clacton-on-Sea on the 7th March 1916 with the loss of 22 officers and men.

ERA Stewart was subsequently awarded at the Distinguished Service Medal for his part in the incident which read:

ERA 2nd Class R. W. Stewart showed great gallantry in entering the engine room after the watch had left and working the engines single-handed until the steam was exhausted.”

On the 8th March 1916 he was discharged from the navy so that he could take up a commission in the army and on the 11th May 1916 was commissioned into the Royal Engineers as a T 2Lt on probation. He was subsequently posted to No 1 Steam Roller Repair Company in France before his transfer to Z Special Company.

At 7.15 am on 1 July 1916  2Lt Stewart was involved with the firing of a large flammenwerfer from a front line trench. The company war diary noted his actions that morning:

“2nd Lt Stewart deserves further mention in that he alone brought in some 50 German prisoners and the proceeded to organise a dressing station to tend the wounded there although under heavy shell fire.

For these very gallant actions this officer has been recommended for the Victoria Cross.”

2nd Lt Stewart was in fact awarded the Military Cross, the citation appearing in the London Gazette in October although omitting the capture of the German prisoners.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He remained for two hours in the open road under heavy shell fire while in charge of a special apparatus. Later he tended the wounded at a spot that was being heavily shelled. He has since been severely wounded.

His wounding was noted in the war diary on the 23rd July 1916:

Lt Stewart was wounded during the morning. He and his detachment were with 1st ANZACS in front trenches.  He was armed with Mills bombs and petrol cans containing distillate oil which were to be used in the German dugouts.

The nature of his wounds were recorded the following day:

1.  Compound fracture  upper left arm

2.  Perforated wound left chest

3.   Abrasion left forehead.

After recovering, he was subsequently posted for work in the Superintendent of the Ministry of Munitions department  and promoted to Lt on 11th November 1917.

Reginald Stewart died at Liverpool in September, 1968 age 76 years.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Yes. Though not in the same detail as yourself! :) 3.5 lines focused on his DSM. 

(many entries are much longer. It includes DSMs recommended but not awarded)

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 19.27.43.png

Thanks Ivor. I asked because I suspect the circumstances of the award of the DSM may have come out of the board of enquiry into the sinking. I have not been able to find any documents relating to the enquiry.

TR

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to find out what CPO Albert Victor Gilbert 147316 won his DSM for? He was a very experienced pre-war professional b.1873, enlisted 1888.

Source - Simon Eyre's DSM register & Ancestry service page:

image.png.38eef6614232169658022308a837faf0.png

image.png.91d1976fe1887ee365fe1421d5acaf26.png

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/657754:60522?tid=&pid=&queryId=a665e350492735b223fe8e95ee0f275b&_phsrc=WWn861&_phstart=successSource

Edited by Ivor Anderson

His award was one of some seventy listed in the LG (mainly to senior ratings)  "in recognition of their services in the Destroyer Patrol Flotillas, Armed Boarding Steamers, &c., during the period which ended on the 30th September, 1916." He was probably the most senior seaman rating (and perhaps the only seaman CPO) in HMS FIONA. I would suspect that the award was for leadership over a long period rather than one specific event. His sixteen months in FIONA (and, indeed, the whole of his WW1 service) saw him consistently assessed as "Superior" ability in his roles as a CPO. "Distinguished Service" describes his time.

Edited by horatio2

Strange way of mounting medals but he obviously wore them that way.

Gilbert's rate was SGT - Seaman Gunner Torpedo.

CPO William Henry Golder 272467 RNAS recently featured in a thread on The War in The AIr section. I was able from that discussion to

identify him in a photo from my grandfather's collection. Golder was awarded the DSM, and I think it was for carrying out a salvage

mission under fire, to retrieve the remains of a Nieuport scout flown by FSLt Irving, shot down on 9/7/1916.

I saw the link to WWW.Naval.History.Net shown earlier in this thread, but was unable to find him mentioned. Is his award recorded

elsewhere? Or at a much later date maybe?

Geoff

1 hour ago, sdparker said:

awarded the DSM, and I think it was for carrying out a salvage

mission under fire, to retrieve the remains of a Nieuport scout flown by FSLt Irving, shot down on 9/7/1916.

Not so. His DSM was in the LG 29635 - 20 JUNE 1916 - To receive the Distinguished Service Medal. - http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishLGDecorationszzDSM.htm so it predates the salvage of Nieuport Ser. No. 8749. This is also noted in his ADM 188 record.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6744963

Ah, thanks for that Horatio 2. I assumed he was awarded the DSM for the salvage operation, and so only looked for dates after that- not earlier!

I won't make assumptions again.

Thank you again for your help

Regards

Geoff

A single unnamed DSM recently sold online for £430. Seems to have been to an Italian sailor.

Image 01 - WW1 BRITISH Distinguished Service Medal GEORGIUS V

Image 4 - WW1 BRITISH Distinguished Service Medal GEORGIUS V

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I was watching that un named Geo V DSM Ivor.  Unnamed DCM's DSM's can go for a good chunk of cash for sure!

I do have a 1WW un named DCM that is in a group as a filler as I doubt I will ever obtain his named DCM.  I do have his named MM tho.

Best w ...Bryan

Likely never worn, its a really nice example.