Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers

peter blackwell

What was the roll of the Royal Welsh at Port Said? 

Do you have a particular period in mind? I won't be able to help (beyond googles capabilities) though I imagine there are other members who would willingly assist given a little more background, good luck with your quest.

Simon

Hello it would be 1916 after the were evacuated from Gallipoli. Thanks Pete

Sorry yes I did mean the Royal Welsh Fusiliers cheers pete

10 hours ago, peter blackwell said:

What was the roll of the Royal Welsh at Port Said

I am not trying to be funny, but do you mean "roll" or "role" ?

Sorry it was role Pete

24 minutes ago, peter blackwell said:

Sorry it was roll, I spelled it as it was written on my grandads medal index card. If you could please tell me what they did while they were at Port Said Pete. 

Edited by peter blackwell

1 hour ago, peter blackwell said:

Sorry it was role Pete

Pete, it would help a lot if you explained specifically which battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers that you are referring to?

Sure it was the 8th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 40th Brigade, 13th Western Division thankyou Pete. 

Hello Pete

The Orders of Battle for Egypt show 13 Division under XV (formerly Indian) Corps between their evacuation from Gallipoli in early January 1916 until their departure for Mesopotamia in February 1916. There are no War Diaries for 13th Division in the Egypt block in WO95 but I think that XV Corps were employed on the Suez Canal Defences during the relevant period.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Pete

The Orders of Battle for Egypt show 13 Division under XV (formerly Indian) Corps between their evacuation from Gallipoli in early January 1916 until their departure for Mesopotamia in February 1916. There are no War Diaries for 13th Division in the Egypt block in WO95 but I think that XV Corps were employed on the Suez Canal Defences during the relevant period.

Ron

Thanks very much Pete

Edited by peter blackwell

4 hours ago, peter blackwell said:

Sure it was the 8th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 40th Brigade, 13th Western Division thankyou Pete. 

Most units on the Suez Canal Defences were combining periods of guard at various key points along the line of the canal with intensive training to bring the battalion back to peak fitness after Gallipoli.  This involved individual, section, platoon and company level training, including skill at arms, section and platoon battle drills, and physical and bayonet training.

See: https://eefinww1.weebly.com/life-in-the-eef.html

21AFCF72-8A92-4A8A-9C59-68DF2AD9412E.jpeg

0A030EAF-5C25-4E88-A203-F57BB033CA99.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thankyou so much I'm realy grateful Pete. 

1 hour ago, peter blackwell said:

Thankyou so much I'm realy grateful Pete. 

It wasn’t all unrelenting grind Peter.  Battalion routine would have involved church parade on Sundays, if the chaplain was available, as well as sport (mainly cricket and football), which was encouraged.  Strenuous physical activity was avoided during the hottest part of the day (usually noon to mid-afternoon) whenever possible.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I can understand the importance of church parade and the need for spiritual comfort, and also sporting events to improve morale. Thanks again Pete.