Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRANDAD WOUNDED IN WW1

shazza

Hi everyone I'm new here and hoping to shed some light on my maternal grandad.  He was seriously wounded but survived of which i have found a piece of information online at FMP but unable to find out anything else so i wondered if anyone could point me in the right direct to look for more information. 

James Henry Jackson 22695 DCLI

Much appreciated

GBM_WO363-4_007408380_00025(1).jpg

His medal roll shows he was in the 7th and 8th Battalions  of DCLI.  He does not appear to have any other service number. He also does not appear to have been discharged due to being wounded nor received a Silver War Badge or claim a pension. So from that would appear he recovered from this wound without any disability. Only his medal roll and card coming up against his service number. No sign of a service record I'm afraid.

On ancestry James Henry Jackson
Military Year: 1914-1920
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: Duke of Cornwall´s Light Infantry
Regiment Number: 22695
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Where was he from? Any siblings etc

This FMP record shows that he suffered from a severe gunshot wound to his right thigh in March 1918, with the 8th Bn. He was 21 years old, and had been at the front for 1 year and 3 months.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FGBM%2FMH106%2FMH106-1355%2F0051&parentid=GBM%2FMH106%2FP2%2F370404

Edited by IPT

Thank you  Kind regards

31 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

His medal roll shows he was in the 7th and 8th Battalions  of DCLI.  He does not appear to have any other service number. He also does not appear to have been discharged due to being wounded nor received a Silver War Badge or claim a pension. So from that would appear he recovered from this wound without any disability. Only his medal roll and card coming up against his service number. No sign of a service record I'm afraid.

32 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:
On ancestry James Henry Jackson
Military Year: 1914-1920
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: Duke of Cornwall´s Light Infantry
Regiment Number: 22695
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Where was he from? Any siblings etc

Thank you he had a brother Alfred William I believe served with the Royal Field Artillery but that's all i know

29 minutes ago, IPT said:

This FMP record shows that he suffered from a severe gunshot wound to his right thigh in March 1918, with the 8th Bn. He was 21 years old, and had been at the front for 1 year and 3 months.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FGBM%2FMH106%2FMH106-1355%2F0051&parentid=GBM%2FMH106%2FP2%2F370404

Thank you so much this information helps me enormously Kind regards

Where were the family from?  There are several Alfred William Jackson’s 

Thank you all for your help sorry if i have posted replies incorrectly but your help has helped me so much as i am researching my mum's paternal family tree (she is 82).

1 minute ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Where were the family from?  There are several Alfred William Jackson’s 

They were from Islington London and i believe he was in the Royal Field Artillery and he was a couple of years older than my grandad. Kind Regards

Ok possibly a Wandsworth family

45 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Thank you for your help

There is a Jackson family in Islington in 1891 census if you can access that

Unfortunately the War Diaries for Salonika, where Jackson was serving with the 8 DCLI when he was wounded 29/1/1918 are not yet digitised so can only be viewed by visiting Kew (which is a little difficult now).

I see that the Daily Casualty List that was published 18th Feb 1918 (some 3 weeks after the actual wounding) has his origins as Kentish Town.

The other DCLI names on that same list are all 8th Bn men so all injured at the same date, I suspect.

Copp F 16015

Dexter CJ 15963

Hollyer HV 14319  (not 143101 that is on the sheet you posted above !)

Martin LCpl WJ 14969

3 of these men have surviving service records on FindmyPast so you might (be v careful) be able to draw some parallels by looking at their records. Interestingly Martin was awarded the MM in the LondonGazette 10/4/18 for Salonika. Gazette entries often appeared 3 months after the event so perhaps there was something particular that end of Jan 1918 ?

Lots of digging for you to do.

Charlie

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Unfortunately the War Diaries for Salonika, where Jackson was serving with the 8 DCLI when he was wounded 29/1/1918 are not yet digitised so can only be viewed by visiting Kew (which is a little difficult now).

I see that the Daily Casualty List that was published 18th Feb 1918 (some 3 weeks after the actual wounding) has his origins as Kentish Town.

The other DCLI names on that same list are all 8th Bn men so all injured at the same date, I suspect.

Copp F 16015

Dexter CJ 15963

Martin LCpl WJ 14969

3 of these men have surviving service records on FindmyPast so you might (be v careful) be able to draw some parallels by looking at their records. Interestingly Martin was awarded the MM in the LondonGazette 10/4/18 for Salonika. Gazette entries often appeared 3 months after the event so perhaps there was something particular that end of Jan 1918 ?

Charlie

Thank you lots of info for me to start investigating!

16 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

There is a Jackson family in Islington in 1891 census if you can access that

Yes thank you I have this info now

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Copp F 16015

Dexter CJ 15963

Martin LCpl WJ 14969

Charlie

HI can you advise where i can find the Daily Casualty List for the 18th Feb 1918 please as i am having trouble finding it? Many thanks

Hi Shazza, Welcome to the forum.

The Balkan winters are particularly harsh so no battles or actions (small battles) took place in the winter months. However the British army was always active so regular patrols were sent out most nights into no man's land. There were also fairly frequent trench raids where a small force would attempt to capture an enemy soldier to find out which enemy unit was occupying the line and to gather any other useful information on enemy activity.  Your Grandad may have been wounded on one of these raids or patrols. Both sides sides tended to sporadically shell each others lines on an almost daily basis, so he could have been wounded by shrapnel.

Your best chance of finding out what might have caused his injury is the battalion war diary, he is unlikely to be named, but there may be an entry at the end of January 1918 recording the casualties from a raid, patrol or bombardment, usually along the lines of "1 OR killed 3 OR's wounded" (OR being other rank i.e. not a commissioned officer).  

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Shazza, Welcome to the forum.

The Balkan winters are particularly harsh so no battles or actions (small battles) took place in the winter months. However the British army was always active so regular patrols were sent out most nights into no man's land. There were also fairly frequent trench raids where a small force would attempt to capture an enemy soldier to find out which enemy unit was occupying the line and to gather any other useful information on enemy activity.  Your Grandad may have been wounded on one of these raids or patrols. Both sides sides tended to sporadically shell each others lines on an almost daily basis, so he could have been wounded by shrapnel.

Your best chance of finding out what might have caused his injury is the battalion war diary, he is unlikely to be named, but there may be an entry at the end of January 1918 recording the casualties from a raid, patrol or bombardment, usually along the lines of "1 OR killed 3 OR's wounded" (OR being other rank i.e. not a commissioned officer).  

Thank you, if possible could you possibly point me in the right direction to look as i have been round and round in circles and cannot find anything on the battalions war diaries.  regarding wounded soldiers Greatly appreciated Sharon

10 hours ago, shazza said:

HI can you advise where i can find the Daily Casualty List for the 18th Feb 1918 please as i am having trouble finding it? Many thanks

The Daily Casualty List for the 18th Feb 1918 is part of the contents of the War Office Weekly Casualty List, No 30 (26th February 1918)

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144768575

Cheers

Maureen

12 hours ago, shazza said:

Maureen has given you the link but it wont give you any more names for DCLI than those I've listed and apart from home town will add nothing to your research.

2 hours ago, shazza said:

Thank you, if possible could you possibly point me in the right direction to look as i have been round and round in circles and cannot find anything on the battalions war diaries. 

As I said above, the War Diaries have not been digitised yet so are only available by personal visit to Kew or paying a researcher ( unless there's a 8 DCLI afficionado on this Forum)

Charlie

Hi Shazza, sorry for not responding sooner I have been out all day, if you follow this link to the National Archives you will see the reference for the 8th DCLI war diary, unfortunately it has not been digitised and so cannot be viewed online, the original can be viewed only by visiting the NA at Kew in London.

8 DCLI War Diary

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Shazza, sorry for not responding sooner I have been out all day, if you follow this link to the National Archives you will see the reference for the 8th DCLI war diary, unfortunately it has not been digitised and so cannot be viewed online, the original can be viewed only by visiting the NA at Kew in London.

8 DCLI War Diary

Thank you much appreciated

7 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Maureen has given you the link but it wont give you any more names for DCLI than those I've listed and apart from home town will add nothing to your research.

As I said above, the War Diaries have not been digitised yet so are only available by personal visit to Kew or paying a researcher ( unless there's a 8 DCLI afficionado on this Forum)

Charlie

Thank you