Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cinderford War Memorial

Michelle Young

• Admin

A rather impressive memorial, with some very familiar names of men of the 10th Glosters 

0D5B67D1-89EF-48D1-B0F0-CBBC45E03B09.jpeg

55ACFA6B-926F-4A1A-BD64-0EF34FE1E470.jpeg

34C5E8FB-9CEF-4A21-A175-1C1C8E07A6C4.jpeg

E3B406A0-2A43-40C6-948E-14CE6299DD38.jpeg

D8821773-643E-44AA-B23B-D1D82AD00487.jpeg

The varying sizes of lettering gives the list of names a slightly odd appearance, and even some of the ranks are different sizes. I can't remember seeing another memorial like that. Thanks for posting it.

It appears to be the longer names that are in a different letter size, possibly to give the overall appearance of the plaque a uniformity when viewed from a distance.

Michelle, 

Thanks for posting the photos of Cinderford War Memorial; a pleasant surprise. I live a few miles away and see it most days and it is one I have taken some interest in and researched.

There are 135 men of the Great War who are commemorated on the two original name plaques and a further three were added on an addendum plaque in recent years.

The names include no less than nine pairs of brothers. There are the often found detail errors, such as two Royal Navy men who are listed with the rank of Pte. instead of A.B. Also included is the highly decorated Sjt. Miles John Sterry, Royal West Kent Regt., D.C.M., M.M. and Bar, all awarded in the last 100 days as I remember. And there is also one man who deserted and later re-enlisted using an alias. 

There is one particularly interesting story relating to one of the men - Pte. Reginald Thomas Packer, 15437, 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards. He was the subject of an article I co-wrote for The New Regard, the journal of the Forest of Dean Local History Society, (No. 25) 2011. Reggie Packer was a pre-war Regular and in early October 1914 he turned up in the town with his head swathed in bandages and walking with a stick claiming to have been wounded in the Battle of the Aisne. He was the son of the town's Inspector of Police and was regarded as a hero and an example for others to follow. He had, in fact, deserted: the 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards being still in England awaiting orders to proceed to the Front. The deception was short lived and he was soon returned to his unit, court martialed and imprisoned. His sentence was commuted and he was sent to join his battalion in the Field. He was killed in action on 20 December 1914. and was buried in Ration Farm Cemetery, La Chappelle -D'Armentiers. His misdemeanour never, apparently, became public knowledge and amidst much public sympathy money was raised to install a pair of gates to his memory at St. Stephen's Church which he had attended. The gates were dedicated on Sunday 14 November 1915.  

His brother Ernest George Packer, Pte. 18517, Coldstream Guards died on 28 July 1918. Reggie seems not to have been forgiven by his father as there are no next of kin details given in the Ration Farm Cemetery register, whereas they are in the register of Berles New Military Cemetery where Ernest was interred.

Eric Nicholls

St. Stephen's Church Gates.JPG

• Admin

Many thanks for this very interesting information. 

Michelle 

• 3 years later...