Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sutton (St. Nicholas and All Saints) Churchyard

PaulC78

Sutton (St. Nicholas and All Saints) Churchyard, just to the south of St Helens in Lancashire (now Merseyside). There are a total of 30 war graves in this churchyard, 18 of which are from the First World War. I've visited here a few times in the past few months as there are several graves of interest.

P1023341.jpg.ea0dabaa0f9f7e6010b09bfd691ca4a0.jpg

First up is the grave of Pte James Bradburn, 13358, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Until recently this headstone had been face down and according to the CWGC it had been in that state since at least 2004, but a recent enquiry seems to have prompted them into action.

201_BRADBURN_GRAVE.JPG.7f55ec43a316ee2170131fb11f520a17.JPG

The headstone also commemorates his brother, Private Frederick Bradburn, 61395, Manchester Regiment, who was killed in action and is buried at Neuvilly Communal Cemetery Extension.

The headstone of Sjt George Wilkes, 3621, Royal Flying Corps, was also face down until recently. George was killed in a flying accident at home on 2 January 1917. The top part of the headstone has broken off and appears to be lost, and it appears that the CWGC intend to place their own marker on this grave as they are currently appealing for relatives.

1443_WILKES_GRAVE.jpg.5285bb960464a083f18734912f25c2e9.jpg

Driver Peter Heyes (served as Peter Lewis), 37395, Royal Field Artillery, died at home on 24 May 1919. The CWGC description of the headstone indicates that Peter is the first inscription, however it's actually his father (also named Peter) who died in 1911. Burial records indicate that this is the correct grave and the CWGC are currently investigating.

1665_HEYES_GRAVE.JPG.96eaced334526341a5ac78cda893c5f8.JPG

Sapper Henry Makin, 6779, Royal Engineers, died on 19 October 1918. Henry was only commemorated in 2015 and his name was added to Brookwood Memorial in 2017, however he is actually buried at Sutton. Burial records have now been submitted via IFCP.

P1001975.jpg.a41b7df7186347f2e6d8b317851edfa7.jpg

Pte William Ashton, 18953, South Lancashire Regiment, a non-com put forward via IFCP earlier this year. William died on 16 May 1918 from diabetes contracted while serving in France six months prior.

58_ASHTON_GRAVE.JPG.468ef3023ca3d13f4cfd942207e87ec9.JPG

L/Cpl Edward Brown, 372, Royal Army Medical Corps. Another non-com submitted via IFCP, Edward did not serve overseas but died from tuberculosis on 20 November 1916 at the Royal National Hospital, St Larence, on the Isle of Wight. The headstone is damaged and his name is only partially visible.

3560_BROWN_GRAVE.JPG.79b15c5d433537527638499d60c8fcb3.JPG

• 1 month later...

Spent a lot of time in the past with those graves and others of course.

Had a bad fall in there about 7 years ago when it was flooded.

Oh, and I got married in that Church, as did my parents!.  :o

Great work Paul. My nans family are buried there including her dad, John Samuel Leach MM 21/3/18 MGC 30th Div. 

Paul, thanks for posting these since visiting these interesting spots is only a distant possibility nowadays. Great to see a corner of blue English sky!

F100D

4 hours ago, steandpaula said:

Great work Paul. My nans family are buried there including her dad, John Samuel Leach MM 21/3/18 MGC 30th Div. 

Is that 43457 Leach?

Hi KB, yes.

Edited by steandpaula

On 27/09/2020 at 01:30, PaulC78 said:

The headstone of Sjt George Wilkes, 3621, Royal Flying Corps, was also face down until recently. George was killed in a flying accident at home on 2 January 1917. The top part of the headstone has broken off and appears to be lost, and it appears that the CWGC intend to place their own marker on this grave as they are currently appealing for relatives.

If this is replaced by a typical CWGC gravestone, will all the relatives details be lost?

aim

Its a good question,.............. the CWGC will not act with a new headstone unless they have the Grave owners permission.

7 hours ago, aim said:

If this is replaced by a typical CWGC gravestone, will all the relatives details be lost?

I expect they will leave the old one where it is and put a new headstone in front of it.

On 27/09/2020 at 02:30, PaulC78 said:

1443_WILKES_GRAVE.jpg.5285bb960464a083f18734912f25c2e9.jpg

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing these images.  One of my relatives was Sgt Jim Gamble, 3594, RFC and then RAF. Jim was also from St.Helens, Parr Mount to be specific.  I wonder if Jim and George Wilkes went through basic training together?

Jim became a pilot in 1918, going to the front in September of that year flying Bristol Fighters.  He made his first operational sortie in October with an experienced Observer, Sgt Charles William Cooke who was from...Thatto Heath (small world!).

One of Jim's uncles, Samuel Gamble, lived in Sutton. One of Samuel's sons, Stephen Orme Gamble is buried at Ypres.  Another son, Joseph Charles Gamble, was the Company Sergeant Major for the 55th West Lancs Signal Coy.  He married May Fairhurst at St.Nicholas' Church on 14 July 1917.

Apols for the digression but it's nice to find St.Helens connections on GWF.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Buffnut453

3 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Stephen Orme Gamble is buried at Ypres.

:poppy:

http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1937-Stephen_Orme_Gamble.html

4 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Part Mount

or Parr Mount?  I played football against them when I was in primary school - just for your St helens connection!

Reg

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

or Parr Mount?  I played football against them when I was in primary school - just for your St helens connection!

Reg

Yeah...buddy autocorrect!!!

1 hour ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Yep, that's the fella.  Hit by an artillery she'll while his unit was moving through Ypres to the front.  He's buried at Ramparts Cemetery.  

5 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Yep, that's the fella.  Hit by an artillery she'll while his unit was moving through Ypres to the front.  He's buried at Ramparts Cemetery.  

If you join the site (free) then that will open up his page fully and give access to the images - his CWGC Gavestone etc are on there...there is also a newspaper clipping about him and a picture of a gravestone on which he is mentioned.

2 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

If you join the site (free) then that will open up his page fully and give access to the images - his CWGC Gavestone etc are on there...there is also a newspaper clipping about him and a picture of a gravestone on which he is mentioned.

The original cross in fact, before being replaced with the current headstone. You don't see that very often to family!

2 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Hi KB,

I joined the site a few years ago and found the various excellent records and information available.  I'm still trying to locate an original version of the Ramparts Cemetery postcard which shows his original grave marker with his name clearly written.  Alas, all efforts to-date have failed.

Cheers,
Mark

17 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

I'm still trying to locate an original version of the Ramparts Cemetery postcard which shows his original grave marker with his name clearly written.  Alas, all efforts to-date have failed.

Very difficult no doubt..............please feel free to download that image from his page for your own use - no problem!

17 hours ago, steandpaula said:

The original cross in fact, before being replaced with the current headstone. You don't see that very often to family!

Indeed there are not many survivors still left unfortunately.

• 5 months later...

Popped into the churchyard today and the new headstone for George Wilkes is now in place:

P1045158.jpg.396a16f45ca804f1e194418f66dbffca.jpg

P1045143.jpg.620b72ac5117c7e0028122efe354f7f8.jpg