Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Clasp Knife Illustration In Archived Topic

Pyrian

Hi everyone

Just a query as to the source of an illustration in a previous archived Topic: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/178951-pocket-knife/ 

The illustration I am interested in features WW1 pocket knives and was posted in this topic by @Lancashire Fusilier - apologies for contact this way - I have just joined the forum and am unable to message you direct.

I collect Old Sheffield Pocket Knives and have an example of the knife second from the bottom right in the illustration you posted. I knew it was from this period but came across this forum whilst doing some other research, and then saw the image you posted. I would love to know where the image came from, as it might help me to find out more about the knife I own.

I have (hopefully) attached said image to this post.

Apologies if anything about this new topic and post contradicts any Forum etiquette - I've read the rules but am a newbie.

Best wishes

Pyrian

Great War Forum Unknown Publication Date_2.jpg

4 hours ago, Pyrian said:

The illustration I am interested in features WW1 pocket knives and was posted in this topic by @Lancashire Fusilier 

Best wishes

Pyrian

Hi Pyrian, 

welcome to the forum. Unfortunately Lancashire Fusilier hasn’t visited since November last year. You could post a photograph of the knife you have and see if anyone can provide any more information. 

Thank you for replying @GWF1967 

Here are some pictures of my knife, as found (i.e. uncleaned.) The maker is Ellis & Son Sheffield, whose trademark was the word PRIMUS. I have Tweedale's book on Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers, which has helped with information on this maker, as I had not come across them before. The knife appears to be complete, apart from a missing shackle/bail. The maker's mark is on the tang of both blades and the tin opener.

Prior to seeing the illustration posted by Lancashire Fusilier, I had assumed that it was just a commercially available knife, dating to the 1910s/1920s approx., but the illustration seems to imply that it may have been a promoted 'private purchase' item for Officers, and also possibly helps with narrowing the date down further, if I knew the source of the illustration.

I'd be interested in any extra information that anyone has about this knife or WW1 private purchase knives in general.

Thank you

Pyrian

HMPK7B AllMetal Ellis & Son Primus (1).JPG

HMPK7B AllMetal Ellis & Son Primus (2).JPG

HMPK7B AllMetal Ellis & Son Primus (3).JPG

HMPK7B AllMetal Ellis & Son Primus (4).JPG

HMPK7B AllMetal Ellis & Son Primus (8).jpg

Welcome Parian,

I presume these horseman’s knives accompanied quite many a chap during the Great War, possibly even the  Boer war war.

Brilliant find, and great condition considering, and I’m sure a little bit of gentle cleaning has brought some of the shine back.

Dave.

As Dave says, a private purchase knife. Using your third picture, going clockwise the blades are: corkscrew, hoof pick, awl for making holes in leather, tin opener, secondary blade, main blade. The two screws and nuts are provided to make an emergency repair in a leather piece such as a broken rein. You overlay the ends of the broken strap or rein, make two holes with the awl and join the pieces with the two screws and nuts. Not a perfect repair or one meant to be permanent but it will get you home.

9 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Welcome Parian,

I presume these horseman’s knives accompanied quite many a chap during the Great War, possibly even the  Boer war war.

Brilliant find, and great condition considering, and I’m sure a little bit of gentle cleaning has brought some of the shine back.

Dave.

Thanks Dave - haven't had the time to clean it yet, but looking forward to it. As you, say, I think it will clean up well. 

5 hours ago, reese williams said:

As Dave says, a private purchase knife. Using your third picture, going clockwise the blades are: corkscrew, hoof pick, awl for making holes in leather, tin opener, secondary blade, main blade. The two screws and nuts are provided to make an emergency repair in a leather piece such as a broken rein. You overlay the ends of the broken strap or rein, make two holes with the awl and join the pieces with the two screws and nuts. Not a perfect repair or one meant to be permanent but it will get you home.

Many thanks Reese Williams. It does feel like an impressive, albeit heavy, knife that means business!