Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Chaplain Reverend Sidney Fidoe

kinsalegreg

I am writing a brief piece on the dedication of the local War Memorial in 1921. Most of the names in the newspaper reports are easy to identify and follow up. There is one name - Sidney Fidoe - that I have not been able to identify in any email beyond that he was an Army Chaplain. It is a small part of the story but I would like to know more about him - especially if he served abroad as Chaplain. Any help gratefully received.

His MIC click - confirms the Moose Jaw posting 1920 to 1926

He does not seem to have served overseas

His Officers file is on TNA. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C694244

Edited by corisande

..and this Ancerstry Tree looks correct and ties with Crockfords - click

It shows his arrival in Canada as a Priest, his marriage there, return to England and his death in Leicestershire

His grave is shown on FindaGrave

fidoe.jpg.0523181ce47e89b4bf5ddbfe506e48c4.jpg

And LG - click - shows that he was appointed temp Chaplin to the forces 4th Class on 7 Jun 1918

All that and I don't see a connection to Ireland :(

Edited by corisande

Many thanks all. I do not have a current Ancestry account but will explore. He attended the dedication of the Tadcaster ( now North Yorkshire) memorial in 1921 ( though appears to be in Moose Jaw?) and I wondered if he had any regimental links with the sponsor, Lord Brooksbank, who lost two sons on the Western Front both in the Yorkshire Regiment. Essentially I wondered why he was there as there seemed no link to Tadcaster.

Edited by kinsalegreg

Hi Headgardner, Yes it is close but I'm not sure he would just turn up. I'm sure he must have had a connection unless there was a call for an Army Chaplain. A few year's ago the CWGC changed the headstone of my grandfather (Serjeant Frederick Baker, Connaught Rangers) as there was a mis-spelling of his name. This was in Dublin and we had a small re-dedication ceremony at which, out of the blue and very much welcome, a Chaplain from the Irish Army turned up.

Here is an extract from the Yorkshire Post reporting the ceremony and you can see Fidoe mentioned by name and in (fairly) illustrious company: "A large number of persons joined in the impressive service. In addition to relatives of the fallen, there were members of the British Legion (Tadcaster and District Branch), who paraded under the command of Major F. Colley. D.S.O. the V.A.D.. with Miss Brooksbank as commandant; Sunday school children: the combined Church and chapel choirs, conducted Mr, K. W. Herbert: and the Tadcaster Brass Band. There were also present Sir Edward and Lady Brooksbank. Mrs. Harbord (Nun Monckton Priory, York). Mrs. R. Nickols (Spofforth Hall). Capt. and Mrs. W Riley-Smith (Toulston), Mr. C. K. Blackett (Toulston Grange), Mrs. A. Newton-Smith. Miss Newton-Smith, and Miss E. Newton-Smith (NewtonKyme) Dr. J P. Scratchard Mr. G. A. Bromet. Miss Bromet. and Miss D. H. Bromet, , Mr. Samuel Smith, the Vicar of Tadcaster (the Rev. J. R. Jones), the Rev, H. Scott (Wesleyan minister), and the Rev. Fidoe."