Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

books

Alecras234

I just want to watch something to reinforce what im reading.   I'm interested in battles,  the battle of frontiers, marne, aisne to ypres.   I'm not really interested in how the war started, yes i know about Sarajevo and the assassination of FF and his wife but im more interested in the battles and the alliances.

I want to know more about these battles that im reading about, that's why i asked about this book as it tells me more about Liege and mons.    History of The Great War: The Three Beginning Events: The Battle of Liege, Frontiers and Guise (Box-Set) by [Daniel van Basten]

28 minutes ago, Alecras234 said:

I just want to watch something to reinforce what im reading.   I'm interested in battles,  the battle of frontiers, marne, aisne to ypres.   I'm not really interested in how the war started, yes i know about Sarajevo and the assassination of FF and his wife but im more interested in the battles and the alliances.

I want to know more about these battles that im reading about, that's why i asked about this book as it tells me more about Liege and mons.    History of The Great War: The Three Beginning Events: The Battle of Liege, Frontiers and Guise (Box-Set) by [Daniel van Basten]

I would be very wary of a Great War book with a cover illustration showing a post-war tank Alex.

The reviews on Amazon also look suspiciously vague-

https://www.amazon.com.au/History-Great-War-Beginning-Frontiers-ebook/dp/B01H4IRDOQ

Just my opinion

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

I see,  I just want to watch something to reinforce what im reading.   I'm interested in battles,  the battle of frontiers, marne, aisne to ypres.   I'm not really interested in how the war started, yes i know about Sarajevo and the assassination of FF and his wife but im more interested in the battles and the alliances.

I cant find a ww1 documentary that covers battles of the entire war, apart from the bbc documentary called the great war which i think is too detailed, interesting but i get lost while watching it, i lose whats going on.

Also im reading my book called the Great War Explained but im forgetting parts,  what do you suggest on how i can remember what i forget please?

Thanks,  Ash

9 hours ago, Alecras234 said:

I cant find a ww1 documentary that covers battles of the entire war, apart from the bbc documentary called the great war which i think is too detailed, interesting but i get lost while watching it, i lose whats going on.

Also im reading my book called the Great War Explained but im forgetting parts,  what do you suggest on how i can remember what i forget please?

Thanks,  Ash

Try framing your reading around a question. Ex. “Why were the French and British able to stop the German attack at the Marne?” As you go, have a notebook and make short notes on what you’ve read. A good book on the early battles is The Marne, 1914 by Holger Herwig. He covers the run-up to and the Battle of the Marne itself from the German, French, and British perspectives. Peter Hart has written Fire and Movement, which is about the 1914 campaign from the British perspective. I haven’t read it yet, but Peter is an oral historian, so you will get a lot of excerpts from the men that were doing the fighting. His book on the Somme is a really good introduction if you ever find yourself interested in that battle. 

Are you primarily interested in the early battles and the British side? Or are you interested in other aspects?

I have made these question and answers from my book,   Do they sound ok and i want to pick out some questions to write in my notes to learn,  how many would you say to pick out?  Does it matter which i choose, can i pick out any?  I'll delete a few.

who put up an unexpected resistance against the Schlieffen Plan?  The Belgian army

What prevented the Germans attacking Liege?   Forts that surrounded the city

When did Corporal E Thomas fire the first British shot of the WW1?  22 August 1914

Why did the British government decide to keep one third of the BEF?  To defend against possible German attack

How many men of the BEF set off from Britain?  Around 100,000

Where in France did the BEF assemble in August 1914?  Maubeuge

Who was in overall charge of the BEF?  Sir John French

Who was commander of BEF1 corps?  Lt Gen Sir Douglas Haig

Who commanded BEF 2 corps?  Lt Gen  Sir James Grierson

Who replaced Lt Gen Sir James Grierson?  Sir Horace Smith-Dorian

Where was there an unexpected resistance against the Germans?  Liege

What surrounded Liege?  12 Forts

When was the siege of Liege?  5 August 1914

What were the siege guns used in the destruction of the fortresses at Liege?  Big Bertha

Edited by Alecras234