Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research for film: Information on Postmen and Death Notices

LeilaLay

16 hours ago, Kath said:

Leicester University Special Collections Online.

Manningtree p420 Kelly's Directory 1914:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/61010/rec/2

Wow thanks for this - very useful again!!

I have also had a response from the Postal museum which confirms much of what has been said:

Generally during the First World War telegrams were reserved for news of the deaths of officers, other ranks families tended to get letter. Telegrams being more expensive.

Telegrams were delivered by either postmen/women or telegram boys but letters only ever by postmen or women. There was a standard telegram form and envelope. However that said it did vary quite a bit and there were also official army forms issued although I have not seen one of these.

Often letters were sent from the fallen man’s commanding officer and these of course varied a lot.

I have researched the family of a local man Alan Skett who died during the war.

His brother Ernest a postman was refused exemption by a tribunal in November 1916 and was mobilised into the  Labour Corps in medical category C2 (able to walk 5 miles, fit for home service) He had varicose veins which had been operated on, "but does walk 6 mile rounds daily and helps in the laundry". (His mother ran the laundry.) He was discharged in September 1918 as "no longer physically fit for war service" because of varicose veins and was awarded a pension for 30 weeks.

Perhaps this gives an idea of what could be expected of a local postman at that stage.

Jim

5 hours ago, LeilaLay said:

Wow thanks for this - very useful again!!

I have also had a response from the Postal museum which confirms much of what has been said:

Generally during the First World War telegrams were reserved for news of the deaths of officers, other ranks families tended to get letter. Telegrams being more expensive.

Telegrams were delivered by either postmen/women or telegram boys but letters only ever by postmen or women. There was a standard telegram form and envelope. However that said it did vary quite a bit and there were also official army forms issued although I have not seen one of these.

Often letters were sent from the fallen man’s commanding officer and these of course varied a lot.

That’s a very interesting conclusion Leila and I’m glad that you’ve been able to find all the information that you needed, as well as contemplate a few ideas for your plot.  Do please keep us updated about the drama concerned and let us know when it’s due to air.

Edited by FROGSMILE