Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to find WW1 medals!

KyleW1996

Hello all,

take this as a plea from me to try and trace down my great uncles WW1 medal trio. He is 18504 Pte S White, 6th York and Lancaster Regiment.

if there is anything anyone can do and/or anything that anyone knows of, could you please help me! My uncle Sams BWM was auctioned in 2016 so I know 1 is definitely out there!

thank you 

Hi there Kyle,

i know what you mean, I would dearly love to find my great grandfather’s Trio plus several other family members’ I have now discovered via Ancestry.

You could try setting up an alert on Medal Tracker:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker

It is possible to put a notification on Medal Tracker to advise that you are searching for the medals:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker/submission

You can also set up an auto search for a surname on Ebay and also on The Saleroom, which will alert you to any item you are searching for that pops up in an auction somewhere:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

I would also highly recommend signing up to the British Medal Forum and post your message there too, especially the bit about Uncle Sam’s BWM having been sold at auction in 2016 (in fact, the links I have posted above are thanks to Mark over on the BMF) 😁

There are many experts on the BMF and lots of friendly and very helpful advice to be had too. It also has a comprehensive list of auctioneers and medal dealers on one of its sections:

https://britishmedalforum.com

Out of interest, do you know which auctioneer sold the BWM? I ask only as they may well still have a record of the buyer and could possibly enquire on your behalf as to the possibility of it being sold back to you. The buyer may also have the Star and VM too, you never know - may have bought the BWM to complete the Trio!

I hope you find them, all the best.

Martin

Edited by MartyG

Hi Martin.

many thanks for your reply! I have placed the details on medal tracker yes, and am currently awaiting verification on the BMF:) I have contacted the auction company that sold the medal, and I sent in a hand written letter which they say they have forwarded on to the buyer for me. I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall at the minute but since discovering 1 of his medals has been sold I just can’t stop looking as I know it is out there!!

many thanks for your reply the advice was really helping Martin,

take care,

kyle 

Just to echo what Martin has said above...I saw some items of my Gran's brother that never came to down to us , but as they were only a small part of his belongings we needed to find the original vendors, the auctioneers were really good and went back through the records, unfortunately in our case they came from a collection in a deceased estate....the point is they did their best to help, so keep trying.

15 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Just to echo what Martin has said above...I saw some items of my Gran's brother that never came to down to us , but as they were only a small part of his belongings we needed to find the original vendors, the auctioneers were really good and went back through the records, unfortunately in our case they came from a collection in a deceased estate....the point is they did their best to help, so keep trying.

I most certainly will do! I’m hoping and praying that the auctioneer has indeed sent my letter to the buyer and that I can get the 1 medal I’ve seen back...

thank you..

43 minutes ago, KyleW1996 said:

I most certainly will do! I’m hoping and praying that the auctioneer has indeed sent my letter to the buyer and that I can get the 1 medal I’ve seen back...

thank you..

I just noticed the medal went through the Sheffield Auction Gallery...it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the other medals and his death plaque could still be in the area...might be worth contacting the Star and see if they'll run a story on your search. 

Edit...it looks as though it came from one mans collection looking at the dates.

https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/biggest-medals-hoard-goes-under-hammer-sheffield-460556

Edited by sadbrewer

5 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I just noticed the medal went through the Sheffield Auction Gallery...it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the other medals and his death plaque could still be in the area...might be worth contacting the Star and see if they'll run a story on your search. 

Edit...it looks as though it came from one mans collection looking at the dates.

https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/biggest-medals-hoard-goes-under-hammer-sheffield-460556

Top research! 

15 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Wow really interesting! I mean reading that it definitely ties with the dates that my uncle sams medal was sold. I have contacted the Sheffield star yesterday in hopes they will put a piece in the newspaper, so just hoping to hear back from them. I am keeping faith, I have a feeling that somewhere down the line I will rightly be reunited with these sentimental assets. Just keeping everything crossed! 

thanks 

1 hour ago, KyleW1996 said:

Wow really interesting! I mean reading that it definitely ties with the dates that my uncle sams medal was sold. I have contacted the Sheffield star yesterday in hopes they will put a piece in the newspaper, so just hoping to hear back from them. I am keeping faith, I have a feeling that somewhere down the line I will rightly be reunited with these sentimental assets. Just keeping everything crossed! 

thanks 

Another avenue to try is The Sheffield Forum...A long shot but you never know.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forum/5-sheffield-history-amp-expats/

They also have FB page to try.

2 hours ago, KyleW1996 said:

I have a feeling that somewhere down the line I will rightly be reunited with these sentimental assets.

I'm not sure your use of the word 'rightly' is either useful or correct.

The medal is the lawful property of its current owner, unless it can be proved it was stolen at some time.

The medal would initially have been issued to your uncle.

It was then his property, and he was free to do with it as he wished in the same way as any other of his possessions.

He could have sold it, or it may have been inherited after his death by any person, maybe not even a family member.

Title of ownership would then belong to them.

Being a relative of a medal winner bestows no rights on you whatsoever to reposses that medal.

33 minutes ago, KyleW1996 said:

I have just posted 3 seperate ads in the Sheffield forum! Thank you for your help,

kyle

Im surprised I've never spotted them as I use it fairly regularly.

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The medal is the lawful property of its current owner, unless it can be proved it was stolen at some time.

It was then his property, and he was free to do with it as he wished in the same way as any other of his possessions.

He could have sold it, or it may have been inherited after his death by any person, maybe not even a family member.

Being a relative of a medal winner bestows no rights on you whatsoever to reposses that medal.

Agreed...but I think there is a moral right....I would never refuse a family member who wanted to get back a lost heirloom from my ( small) collection.

Edited by sadbrewer

6 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Agreed...but I think there is a moral right....I would never refuse a family member who wanted to get back a lost heirloom from my ( small) collection.

Oh yes I quite agree.

I merely wanted to point out that there is no legal right.

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

seen as though my uncle was KIA and never actually got to receive his medals, I highly doubt he sold it. 

ive put this thread on to try and get some positive help/guidance. I’ve not one said I want to ‘repossess’ it, I’ve said that I want to track it down so I can have a chat with the ‘owner’ and see if there is anything I could do to get it back.

your helps appreciated however,

kyle

12 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Im surprised I've never spotted them as I use it fairly regularly.

I have literally just put them on the last hour or so, hopefully someone sees them!

kyle

Hang in there Kyle and good things will come your way. 

My grandmother gave me a photo of her brother Leonard when I was sixteen, Leonard was KIA 11 August 1917. 

Seventeen years ago I started researching Leonard and then came the need for more personal items and his medals Lost!

They took ten years to be found along with early photos of his grave and silk postcards sent home to his mum and the penny.

Enjoy the research and the journey

Got to say you look like Sam

Wendy X

56 minutes ago, Wendy Macpherson said:

Hang in there Kyle and good things will come your way. 

My grandmother gave me a photo of her brother Leonard when I was sixteen, Leonard was KIA 11 August 1917. 

Seventeen years ago I started researching Leonard and then came the need for more personal items and his medals Lost!

They took ten years to be found along with early photos of his grave and silk postcards sent home to his mum and the penny.

Enjoy the research and the journey

Got to say you look like Sam

Wendy X

I most certainly will try.. I will not stop until I find something that’s for sure. I’ve just been in touch with MEDAL NEWS and will be having something put in their magazine. The medal is also live on the medal tracker so fingers crossed I get some good news. I have exhausted all possible routes and feel there is nothing more I can do. 

it must have been a very emotional day when you were reunited with them, I’m hoping to share the experience soon enough. 

& really? That’s the first time someone has said that to be honest, however it’s a real compliment so thank you. I can imagine Sam was such a brave individual and I would do anything to have met him... however all I can do now is try and carry on what he did for us, and feel that by doing what I’m doing I am forever making him proud. 

thank you for your kind words, Wendy

You take care and keep safe,

Kyle

back in the eighties or nineties I contatced the Gloucester Regiment museum about my great uncles, they replied that they had seen (not visibly but on paper)  them in 1972, so not much hope...

have a read, anything is possible.. main thing is although you are a relative, as I was, you might have to pay for them..

Edited by chaz

• 1 month later...

Hi Kyle,

Go to the MIC records on Ancestry for 18504 Sam White and leave a message in the comments box on the right, you can do this on all the records. It worked for me when a collector had done just that. 

Regards Barry

2 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Kyle,

Go to the MIC records on Ancestry for 18504 Sam White and leave a message in the comments box on the right, you can do this on all the records. It worked for me when a collector had done just that. 

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

I do not have an ancestry account unfortunately. I’m still yet to hear anything though. Still hoping and praying!

kyle

Just now, The Inspector said:

Hi Kyle,

You may be able to get help from your local library.

Regards Barry 

Thank you Barry I will look into this,

take care,

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would leave this here, I am hopeful that I have finally been able to track down the medal of my great Uncle Sam and am just waiting out for the potential delivery once the individual who currently has it confirms it has been sent.

just want to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice and helped me find information/photographs of my Uncle Sam, I cannot explain how much it is appreciated.

take care all,

kyle 

• 2 weeks later...