Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did all war dead get a death plaque?

Sharonp

Just curious,

The individuals who were executed during the conflict, "shot at dawn", did their families receive a death plaque, or even any medals that they were entitled to?

Thanks,

Sharon 

The numbers of plaques issued outnumbered the total of commonwealth War dead. Plaques were issued in respect of individuals whose deaths fell outside the 'usual' WW1 date perameters so who would not therefore be conventionally regarded as 'war dead'. I'm also not clear as to the numbers of plaques that were returned as 'undeliverable' (recipient moved away or dead) in the way that many campaign medals were returned for the same reason. 

I think that confuses the calculation as to whether plaques were issued in respect of every commonwealth war death. 

As for whether 'Shot At Dawn' cases were explicitly excluded from the plaque scheme, I simply couldn't say. 

Edited by headgardener
poor mathematical skills

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember the number of death plaques was 1,355,000

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember the number of death plaques was 1,355,000

Yes, 1,355,000 with "He Died" and a further 600 with "She Died".

Source: Medal News Yearbook 2018.

9 minutes ago, headgardener said:

So, almost 2 million plaques, yet only about 1.7 million commonwealth War dead. An interesting statistic......

Not quite sure of your numbers there!

I thought is was 888,246 commonwealth dead - same number as the Tower of London Poppies. (I'm sure there are several different numbers commonly used by historians.)

Total Plaques 1,355,600.

Be interesting to know what kind of souls the other 467,345 were.

Edited by Alan24

CWGC state 1.7 million commonwealth War dead. As for plaques, my mistake, I counted 600 'she died' as 6,000..... 

So that's about 344,000 fewer plaques than war dead. Hope I got those figures right! 

EDIT: NO...! I got it wrong. 1.7m war dead in total, WW1 was about what you said.... Sorry, bit distracted this morning.... 

Edited by headgardener

So deserters wouldn't have received a death plaque or medals?

Sharon

:wub:

Deserters' campaign medals were usually forfeited unless they subsequently rejoined. And obviously they wouldn't have received a death plaque if they survived long enough to have rejoined....... 😉

What about those that were shot for deserting, would their family receive anything?

S x :wub:

I simply couldn't say whether or not they received a plaque. The system by which they were issued was completely separate to the system under which the army issued campaign medals. Men who were executed are commemorated by CWGC so I don't see why a plaque wouldn't have been issued. As for medals, I think most MIC's for the executed men show that their medals were deemed to have been forfeited on account of their desertion (or 'cowardice' or 'disobedience' or 'murder' or whatever other charge they were found guilty of - not all were shot for 'desertion'), but I seem to recall that a few medals were indeed issued. Their families or dependents typically were not given a pension. 

Ok well at least i know now, did have clue this morning.

Thank you as always.

S.x :rolleyes:

The five New Zealanders shot at dawn for desertion and munity were not entitled to any medals or penny.

John Braithwaite

Frank Hughes

John Sweeney

John King

Victor Spencer

Mentions on their service files: Medal action complete - 'no entitlement to medals' or 'no medals to be issued'

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm just wondering if a soldier would have received a plaque if they committed suicide ?. I know this digressis from the original question but it's something I've wondered about for ages.

Regards Mike 

Their families received their campaign medals, so no reason they wouldn't receive plaques.

50 minutes ago, deacs said:

I'm sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm just wondering if a soldier would have received a plaque if they committed suicide ?. I know this digressis from the original question but it's something I've wondered about for ages.

Regards Mike 

Oh that's nice to know that they would have cheers very much.

Regards Mike 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2020 at 18:42, deacs said:

Regards Mike 

Yes is the answer, I have a plaque to a Warrant Officer, Remount depot cause of death "Gunshot Wound Head, Webley Revolver self inflicted".

Memorial Plaques & Scrolls were to be issued to the next of kin of all members of His Majesty's Forces who died on active service between 4/8/1914 and the end of the war (10/1/1920 Western Europe), (30/4/1920 other theatres). Except those that suffered death by Court Martial. 'Active Service' includes those on Home Establishment, those who died from sickness, accident or suicide (except under particularly disgraceful circumstances). And all those whose deaths were attributable to war service & died within 7 years of its end. Only women under contract to the War Office were eligible. ie (Those entitled to the King's Certificate of Discharge). Lists of names were submitted to the Plaque Factory& LCC School of Art by the War Office (Officers) or Records Office (ORs). Plaques were sent direct from the factory & scrolls through the Officers i/c Records. 

Regards. D

• 3 weeks later...

The Regulations regarding the issue of the Plaque, Section 2 - Principles Governing the Issue of the Memorial Plaque and Scroll - Paragarph 2

" The Plaque and scroll are to be given in respect of all those who die on active service (except those who suffer death by sentence of Court Martial) betweem 4th August and the official date of the end of the war as promulgated by Order in Council......"

To receive a plaque inscribed "He died for freedom and honour" for a relative who was shot for deserting, murder or similar might seem to be taking satire a bit too far.

Edwin