Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Deciphering Medical Abbreviation Please.

GWF1967

Hi,

Pte. William Davies 13863. 11th R.W.F.  was admitted to 66th Field Ambulance on 25/10/1917 and was transferred to 31st Casualty Clearing Station the same day.

His ailment is listed as Not Yet Diagnosed -  (P) (R).  I have checked the previous pages in the admissions book,  but have failed to find what the abbreviations (P) + (R) stand for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Image from FMP.

S2_GBM_MH106_MH106-141_0021.jpg

Arthur Brighty 74380 on the same page has a Service Record. This is his AF B 103. Could it be malaria (Mal R). Perhaps a further check on other admissions 27/10 NYD P R for Service or Pension Records will show the same.

Brian

a brighty.jpg

I can't see the image too well.

Does it say NYD(P) (R)?

Do they all say that from the beginning of the book?

Perhaps the first entry is written in full?

Otherwise maybe 'Not Yet Diagnosed (Pyrexia) (Recovered or Relapse)'  ??

2 hours ago, LarsA said:

P is Pyrexia (fever) I think.

Thanks. My first thought was pyrexia. 

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Arthur Brighty 74380 on the same page has a Service Record. This is his AF B 103. Could it be malaria (Mal R. 

Thanks for looking, I’ll have a dig through. 

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I can't see the image too well.

Does it say NYD(P) (R)?

Do they all say that from the beginning of the book?

Perhaps the first entry is written in full?

Otherwise maybe 'Not Yet Diagnosed (Pyrexia) (Recovered or Relapse)'  ??

Thanks, and yes it does say NYD (p) (R).  I was hoping page 1 would have the words written down longhand, with “ “ for subsequent entries; no such luck. 

Most entries are NYD (p) (R), a few NYD (p) (P).  

Only one man recorded as such on the same page returned to his unit, the others were all sent on to the CCS, so favouring relapsed rather than recovered. 

I've previously come across 'NYD Pyrexia' and 'NYD Renal', so these may be what you're seeing here. I'm not sure how (or even whether) NYD Pyrexia differs from PUO. Given that pyrexia would have been perhaps the most consistent symptom of the various illnesses or diseases that might cause a man to be admitted to a FA or CCS, it seems likely that this is what is being recorded by 'NYD P'. 

NYPD, on the other hand....... 

Edited by headgardener

31 CCS was in Greece if that makes pyrexia more likely.

DIarrhoea is down as NYD ?

TEW

Presumably Diarrhoea as the presenting symptom of an otherwise undiagnosed condition - in the same way as pyrexia was the presenting symptom of an undiagnosed condition. 

PUO has a very specific meaning, relating to a fever that persists for more than a specified length of time (2 weeks) and for which no diagnosis has been found. The term is still used today and prompts a shift in focus from acute infections to the set of diagnoses that are associated with chronic fever. 

NYD Pyrexia does not imply that the fever has been present for longer than a specific time frame, though it should be used to mean less than 2 weeks; otherwise it would be a PUO. It just means that the person has a fever and that the cause has not been found yet.

Robert