Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte C.D.Wilson King's Liverpool Casualty - help with family

davidbohl

Pte Charles Denver Wilson #34357 KLR CWGC

On the 1911 Census is this really his father, if so good on him being 85 ?

The transcript seems amiss.

From FamilySearch

WilsonCD_1911.png.aa61dc3744a9fb006fc8d194e1f2b08c.png

It's a badly-written '35'. Note similarity of his '35' with his wife Frances's '34' on the actual 1911 census document. Ancestry summarises his age as 35.

Acknown

I can't find the family in 1901 to conclude he spent most of his life in Plymouth or Liverpool

I possibly found Violet in 1901, living with grandparents Henry Ralph (a swimming professor!) and Susan Mitchell, in Everton.

Here's her baptism;

Baptism: 16 Aug 1896 St Thomas, Seaforth, Lancashire, England
Violet Frances Wilson - [Child] of Charles Wilson & Frances
    Born: 4 Aug
    Abode: 78 Seaforth Road
    Baptised by: E. A. Ingham

There's a possible marriage in Plymouth in Sep qtr 1897 between Charles Wilson and Frances Louisa Mitchell, but that might imply that she was previously called Nancy Louisa on the 1881, so i'm not sure. 

I can't find a 1901 Census sheet either. The family certainly moved around a lot, perhaps due to father Charles's work as a photographer. Liverpool, Seaforth and Plymouth are by the sea (nothing escapes me). Maybe he was on a ship in 1901, but where was Frances and the children?

The Pension Card is interesting (Ancestry via WFA). His dependent is Frances. Initially recorded as 116 Pembroke Place, Liverpool, crossed out and c/o (name unintelligible), Perth, Australia added, this then crossed out and 193 Townsend Avenue, Liverpool added (with possible 6/2/33 as date of the last addition. Possible?).

So, it may be that Charles senior was aboard or abroad in 1901 and had died by 1916.

Acknown

Thanks all for looking,

there may be an ounce of truth in the Australia connection, a passenger record exists for a Frances L.Mitchell going to Oz.

10 hours ago, Acknown said:

It's a badly-written '35'. Note similarity of his '35' with his wife Frances's '34' on the actual 1911 census document.

Not so sure that it was badly written as that like so many they were confused by the layout and instructions and looks like Charles senior started to write something else and then realised it needed to be a numeric response. There are several other "3"'s in the same  area of the census return, all with similar closed top loops. There is also wear caused by a fold in the relevant area, which doesn't help.

744789741_CharlesWilson7FlaxmanStEdgeHillLiverpool1911CensusreturnsourcedGenesReunitedcrop.jpg.951227acd8dfe3d30a68e9c8f14bc061.jpg

9 hours ago, IPT said:

Baptism: 16 Aug 1896 St Thomas, Seaforth, Lancashire, England
Violet Frances Wilson - [Child] of Charles Wilson & Frances
    Born: 4 Aug
    Abode: 78 Seaforth Road
    Baptised by: E. A. Ingham

There's a possible marriage in Plymouth in Sep qtr 1897 between Charles Wilson and Frances Louisa Mitchell, but that might imply that she was previously called Nancy Louisa on the 1881, so i'm not sure. 

The birth of a Charles Denver Wilson, mothers' maiden name Mitchell, was recorded in the Plymouth District in the same quarter as the marriage.

On the 1911 Census Violet, (14) is shown as born Seaforth, the couple state they have been married 16 years, (i.e circa 1894/95) and also in the household is a younger daughter, Daisy Wilson, (aged 8, born Pontycymmer, Glamorganshire) and Charles seniors Stepmother, the widow Emily Wilson, aged 58 and born Liverpool. The couple also state they had a fourth child, who sadly had died.

Switching to Violet, Seaforth fell within the West Derby Civil Registration District. The birth of a Violet Frances Wilson, mothers' maiden name Mitchell, was registered in the West Derby District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1896.

Turning next to their younger daughter, Daisy, I was able to track down a mothers' maiden name for all the births of a female Wilson whose birth was registered with either a first or second forename of Daisy in England & Wales in the relevant period and there was no match for mothers' maiden name Mitchell. Pontycymmer falls within the Bridgend Civil Registration District and between Q1 1902 and Q4 1903 only five children were registered with the surname Wilson, and two were males. Unfortunately for none of the three females could I identify a mothers' maiden name from the sources available to me, none could be accounted for as having died in England & Wales before the 1911 Census, and none could obviously be accounted for as still living in Glamorganshire on the 1911 census either.

I couldn't find stepmother Emily on the earlier censuses, so couldn't identify her husband and from that check back to Charles seniors birth registration to see if he had any additional forenames.

9 hours ago, IPT said:

I possibly found Violet in 1901, living with grandparents Henry Ralph (a swimming professor!) and Susan Mitchell, in Everton.

On the 1901 Census of England & Wales grandparents Henry Mitchell, (69, born Liverpool) and Susan, (57, born Liverpool), were recorded at 45 Radcliffe Street, Everton. As well as their grand-daughter Violet F., they also have their 18 year old daughter Jessie F, born Liverpool, living with them.

On the 1881 Census the family were at 7 Stephen Street, Liverpool and head of the household, H.R. Mitchell, gives his occupation as Professor of Swimming and his birthplace as Malta. Along with wife Susan Jane, (31, born Liverpool), there are four children including the 5 year old Frances Louisa, (I believe Nancy Louisa must be a mis-transcription). Frances was born Liverpool.

On the 1891 Census the Mitchell family are at 1 Court Rooms Place, Duke Street, Liverpool, (the source I use has transcribed the surname as “Mitchels”), with father “H.R.” recording himself as a Professor of Natation. Only one of the older children from the 1881 Census was still living with them  and it wasn’t Frances, although there is an 8 year old Jessie. Elsewhere there is a 14 year old Frances “Mitchall”, aged 14 and born Liverpool, who was recorded as a live in servant at 96 Scotland Road, Liverpool.

Given that Charles Wilson was a Stage Manager when daughter Violet was christened and a Photographer on the 1911 Census with as yet unidentified wedding details and three children born in different places, and I'm intrigued by the choice of "Denver" as a middle name for his son Charles, then I'm beginning to suspect Charles senior and his family may well have been outside England & Wales at the time of the 1901 Census.

Hope some of that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Good forensics Peter, it's a shame we can't pad out the biography of Denver's short life, his family certainly covered their tracks