The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Riding Yeomanry - Oswald Darneley images

Doctord84

These are from some recently discovered negatives in a private collection, printed up and copies supplied to us at East Riding Museums. The photos were taken by Corporal Oswald ('Ossie') Darneley, 1896-1947, who came from Hull. He served in the ERY from July 1913 until 1917 when he was wounded (possibly at the 3rd battle of Gaza). He was shot off his horse and later discharged due to his wounds. There was a handwritten list with the negatives. Captions were put on by the owner and have now been revised in some cases. I thought it worth posting a few for general interest. Quite a few individual soldiers are named, but often only with first names or surnames, so sadly they can't always be identified. The owner of the originals is keen to learn more if possible. They will be going on our website / social media outlets as well in due course. I particularly like the one with the heliograph being used and the image of Turkish prisoners - the first ERY image I've come across that shows the other side I think.

Ted Field Puffy Calvert.jpg

Chapman with field Helio.jpg

Chapman in telephone dug out.jpg

50. Turkish Prisoners v2.jpg

Phil Percy and Billy.jpg

Reg Walters.jpg

Tim and Ollie.jpg

In full marching order.jpg

Arthur Voase.jpg

Ambulance train.jpg

Surprised the usual suspects haven’t jumped in on these wonderful images.

Corporal Oswald (‘Ossie’) Darneley

Medal index Card, (MiC) shows him as Private 1263 then Private 50163 Oswald H. Darneley, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry.

Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal plus received the Silver War Badge. Remarks section simply shows as discharged. (Possible transcribed Pension Ledger Card on Ancestry – indexed as Oswald Hugh Baokett Darneley).

Silver War Badge transcription on FMP shows enlisted 8th July 1913 and discharged, as a Corporal, 29th March 1918 under an Army Order reference rather than Kings Regs. He had served overseas and was 21 years old when discharged.

There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

The birth of an Oswald Hugh B. Darneley was registered with the Civil Authorities in the District of Hull in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1896.

On the 1901 Census of England & Wales the 4 year old Oswald H B Darnely, born Hull, was recorded living at 34 Spring Street, Kingston upon Hull. This was the household of his parents Edury(?) M, (a House Joiner, aged 45, born Hull) and Kate, (35, born Hull). As well as Oswald the couple have six other children plus two live in servants.

The family were still at the same address on the 1911 Census of England & Wales, and father Edury(?) Maltby is still shown as a Carpenter & Joiner, but the additional information new to this census is that he was an Employer. Edury, then 55, and Kate, (45), have been married 22 years and have had 7 children, all then still then alive. The 14 year old Oswald Hugh Baskett Darneley was still at school – possibly just how the school year had worked out, or an indication that he had stayed on beyond the normal school leaving age.

Hull Daily Mail Wednesday 5 February 1919 Page 3.

Article headlined “Beverley Solicitor’s marriage” covers the marriage of Captain Neville Hobson, 19th London Regiment, of Bevereley to Miss Sarah Kathleen Darneley, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Darneley, of Hull, the previous Tuesday. Mr Oswald Darneley, (brother of the bride), was best man.

Hull Daily Mail Wednesday 16 December 1931 Page 1.

Article headlined “Hull Builders. Mr. Oswald Darneley the New President”. At the annual dinner of the Hull Master Builders Association the previous evening, Mr. Oswald Darneley, (of Messrs A.J. Darneley and Son , Ltd), was elected president.

Hull Dail Mail Tuesday 5 September 1933 Page 6.

Article headlined “Well known Church Worker. Funeral of Mr. E.M. Darneley”,  confirms he was Edwy Maltby Darneley, that Baskett was his mothers family name, and gives a history of the company.

Oswald is almost certainly the 8th person in the household at 39 North Bar Without, Beverley on the 1939 Register – FMP have been unable to transcribe the first name but the individual concerned was male, a Master Builder, born 12th April 1896. He was also widowed, according to the FMP transcription. However looking at their scan of the actual document it clearly looks like the first name is Oswald H B, and looking at the entries on the rest of the page, I would say it is clearly an “M” for married rather than “W” for widowed. This makes it likely that the 9th person in the household, a married woman Isabella Darneley, born 17th March 1899, is his wife. The first two people in the household are also likely to be married to each other – they are Neville Hobson, a Solicitor, and Sarah K Hobson. Oswald also has an entry in the Civil Defence Column of the Register when he is shown as being with the ARP Service on Demolition duties for Hull Corporation.

I could not find a marriage of Oswald and Isabella recorded in England & Wales.

The death of Oswald Hugh Baskett Darneley at the age of 50 was recorded in the Bakewell District of Derbyshire in Q1 1947 – two of the sources I checked mistranscribed the surname as “Darnsley”. The 1947 Probate Calendar records that Oswald Hugh Baskett Darneley of Dale End, Bradwell, Derbyshire, died 5th January 1947. Probate was granted at the London Court on the 16th June to Isabella Thomson Darnely, widow.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

Ted Field

Possible MiC match – Private 50777 Edwin Field, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Private 622293 Labour Corps. Entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. No additional information on the card.

Puffy Calvert

Only MiC match for Calvert – Private 1173 Wilfred Calvert, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Private T/422546 Army Service Corps. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. No additional information on the card.

Chapman

Possible MiCs

Private 1503 Cyril J. Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later  Corporal 1503 & 50320 same unit. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Noted on card as Disembodied. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Private 1510 Hubert Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, then 50324 same unit.

Second MiC as H. Chapman shows 50324 then Private 403790 Royal Air Force. Entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Noted on first card that medals to be issued by Air Ministry. Second Card is for the 1914/15 Star as he was serving with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, (M.E.F.), from the 6th November 1915. There do not appear to be any surviving Army service records. His Airmens Service Card shows he joined the Army on the 31st August 1914 when he was 25 years and 10 months old. He was born circa 1888, at Norwood, Surrey. His next of kin was his mother, Mrs Mabel Chapman, of 3a Grafton Street, Beverley Road, Hull.  His civilian occupation was Electrician. He was described as 5 feet 10 inches tall, with brown haie, dark brown eyes, and a dark complexion.He joined the Royal Flying Corps on the 24th August 1917, transferring into the R.A.F. when this came into existence on the 1st April 1918. He was discharged fron the RAF on the 21st April 1919 with his address on discharge shown as 15 Flox Road, Nottingham.

Lance Serjeant 1419 Hillyard Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Colour Serjeant 165953 Machine Gun Corps. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. No additional information on the card. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Private 1653 Jonathan Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Private 50608 Corps of Hussars. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. No additional information on the card. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Private 1445 Cyrus Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Private 150217 Machine Gun Corps. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Looks like the medals were returned in 1923 and subsequently disposed of. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Private 1176 Frederick Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later 15045 Machine Gun Corps. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. No other medals issued, so I suspect there is another MiC. Looks like the medal was returned, possibly for amendment. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Private 1358 Wilfred L. Chapman, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Lance-Corporal L-11016 Corps of Lancers. Qualified for the 1914/15 Star as he first landed in Egypt 10th November 1915. Also entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. He was commissioned on the 14th February 1919 and as an Officer he then had to apply for his medals. This he did in October 1923, giving his address as Thirlmere, 22 Victoria Avenue, Hull. There do not appear to be any surviving other ranks service records – what remains is likely to be in his officers service records..

Reg Walters

No obvious candidate in the MiC record.

Arthur Voase

Medal Index Card for Corporal 2562 Arthur Voase, East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry, later Corporal 150319 Machine Gun Corps. Entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. No additional information on the card. There do not appear to be any surviving service records.

Hope some of that helps,

Peter

Great photo's. Thank you for sharing.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Peter, lots of info there! I'll have check my database in case I've missed any of that. Very kind of the family to allow me to share these great pics. I'll put some more up next week.

On 19/09/2020 at 20:15, Doctord84 said:

Thanks Peter, lots of info there! I'll have check my database in case I've missed any of that. Very kind of the family to allow me to share these great pics. I'll put some more up next week.

wonderful phoyographs. I was just about to ask if they are avilable online.

Thank you and please thank the family.

Assaf

Assaf

They will be going on our East Riding Treasures Online website as well, with as much information on them as I can piece together. Am also putting the ones with named soldiers on flickr - the Humber Museums Partnership page, where we already have 300+ portraits. I still do bits and pieces of research on the ERY in my spare time....

Here's another batch, including various 'touristy' shots in Egypt in 1916. Apologies for some of the captions, these were put on before I had a chance to see the list and offer some interpretations of Ossie's rather dodgy handwriting. So 'Hareem' is Hassan (image no.9) and no.31 was taken at Sheik Zowaid. 

Bivovac.jpg

front view Sultan Hareem.jpg

No. 3 Troop.jpg

Phil in dug out.jpg

Temple of the Sphinx. Cairo.jpg

View from Gaza mosque.jpg

Rafa Pipers.jpg

Native funeral.jpg

More great pictures. Thanks again for sharing...

Thank you for the Flicker page and the new set of photographs.

I find #19 to be a bit strange, after 3rd Gaza the city was in ruins and i don't see any ruined buildings.

Assaf

Wonderful pictures. 

• 1 year later...

Oswald’s father was Edwy (not Edury) and he built the house at Dale End, Bradwell, Derbyshire.  I know this because I live in it!  It is blessed with plenty of his excellent joinery - panelling, fire surround, intricate windows.  He also built Oswald House in 1907, also in Bradwell - no doubt named after Ossie.  Its for sale at the moment, you can find it on Rightmove.  Oswald’s great niece Alison lived in Dale End until about 5 years ago having been evacuated there from Hull in the second world war.