Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berthier carbine

Chris Burton

I cannot - my reference material on Berthiers is not that detailed.

The Model should however be engraved on the side of the receiver - it is on mine 

Mle.1890
Mle.1892
Mle.1902
Mle.1907
Mle.1907/15
Mle.M.16

The trouble is with modifications sometimes the format does not correspond to the markings!

THIS IS A GOOD SUMMARY of all the basics.

Chris

It looks like a damaged letter C in that case it should be Chatellerault production, when is the damaged G range so probably Saint Etienne, anyway the exact maker should be on barell under upperguard as MAC 1916 to sample for Chattellerault and 1916 , there are english postwar stamps on reciever, on reciever is too the Model designation, M.92 is the oldest artillery carbine, is for 3 rounds?

I see a "G".  There is a footnote in Chassepot to Famas on the 1892 serialization chart saying that Chatellerault skipped the C block. (Pg 253)

What date is the barrel? (Under handguard)  Do recall these were rebuilt extensively, and may have replacement barrels and updates.  Is it 5 or 3 rd?  We can already see a handguard, which is a post 1916 feature...

G90720 would be 1896 St Etienne according to the table.

In case of G as corectly mentioned is Saint Etienne and should be prewar, anyway more details are under upperhandguard.

yes 5 shot converted not mine yet so have to ask about to hand guard removal!  sorry...that would match a MA stamp of 1903 on butt that i showed earlier on this thread,,, thanks again chaps..

Edited by Chris Burton

So Your piece is mostly M92/16. the handguard is easy to remove, the lower ring remove from butt or minimum move to barell front , open the backsight to vertically position, and carefully remove the handguard to top direction with rotating on backside in metall ring, wout damage on wood.

Side spring should be pushed in to buttstock and rings move to front out of the handguard range.