Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Metropolitan Police connection

domwalsh

Morning.

I'm researching RMA.14517 Gnr Leonard Childs who I believe may have joined the MEPO after leaving the marines in 1921. The records for MEPO appear to be at the NA but wondered if there was an index or roll that might be available?

Thanks v much.

Dom

I did a quick search of TNA's holdings of Met Police 'Registers of Leavers' which gives dates of joining and leaving plus Warrant number and last posting, but his name doesn't come up any time between 1914 and (i think) 1944. 

EDIT: the records I checked go up to 1949

Edited by headgardener

HG  has it about right- No trace on MEPO at The National Archives but the police research people are quite helpful.  Ancestry only has leavers up to 1932 on MEPO pension. But his RM service card shows he was 17 when joined the Royal Marine Artillery in 1915 and -unusually-bought himself out in 1921. Thus, on 25-30 years service before pension, the records may still be closed. 

So if he joined the Royal Marine Artillery in 1915 at the age of 17, (so born c1897/98) and left to go on to join the Metropolitan Police in 1921 and doesn't turn up on the leaver roll which goes up to 1949?

So isn't it likely he will turn up on the 1939 Register? - Perhaps as a Metropolitan Police Inspector who was the only person recorded living at 34 Francemary Road, Ladywell, Lewisham :)

Leonard Childs 34 Francemary Road, Ladywell, Lewisham 1939 Register sourced FMP crop.jpg

(Source: FindMyPast).

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edit Royal Marine record at the National Archive also shows date of birth as 13th September 1897.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7790826

Very much so-Serving policemen should be listed as such on the 1939 Register. I have a number of local casualties who were the sons of policemen-the parents who survived until the 1939 register do have "Police Pensioner" and not just "pensioner" against them.  Have yo zapped his name on British Newspaper Archive? It can be quite helpful in knowing which part of London he might have been in and rank at any particular time- usually in reports of officers giving evidence on court-"Sergeant Bloggs of X Division" etc.

Have yo zapped his name on British Newspaper Archive?

Just tried via FMP but suspect it will be a question of getting the right search criteria - 'Childs' + 'Police' brings up a fair number of coroners inquests for young people from all over the country, while 'Childs' + 'Inspector' brings up cases of child neglect brought by the NSPCC. 'Leonard Childs' + 'Lewisham' got zero returns, while just 'Leonard Childs" seemed to only bring up people being charged or convicted of crimes, not a policeman prosecuting them or giving evidence.

Cheers,

Peter

Very helpful guys. The register confirms he was inspector living in Lewisham in 1939 but I too had no luck on the newspaper archive. Will try those experts mentioned.

Cheers

Dom

Bingo! The heritage centre have just got back to me and forwarded a service sheet for Childs.  He served from 1922 to 1948 retiring at 50.  He died 10.3.81. He was promoted to inspector in 1934. He was with TA Division in Blackwall in 1925 and transferred to TR in Wapping in 1946.

So thanks for the tip offs.  Much appreciated.

Dom

The death of a Leonard Childs, born 13th September 1897, was recorded in the Camborne-Redruth District of Cornwall in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1981.

The 1981 Probate Calendar adds that Leonard Childs of Pudsey End, Richards Lane, Illogan, Redruth, died on the 10th March 1981.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Childs&yearOfDeath=1981&page=3#calendar

Hope that helps,

Peter

So it looks like he is entitled to Defence Medal for serving throughout WW2. Just need to check Jubilee and coronation rolls.  Can anybody help?

• 2 years later...

Just refreshing this, in case anybody can help on whether Childs earned any jubilee or coronation medals.

Thanks.

Dom

Forum member @Toontraveller may be able to assist re the Met Police enquiry.

Good Luck

Steve

6 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion

• Admin

As an aside and out of interest TA Division at Wapping was the Thames River Police.  This means of course that he was in the thick of it during the WW2 Blitz.  

I would be surprised, if the Heritage Centre did not mention the Coronation/Jubilee medals, to see that he was awarded them. They should hold relevant Police Orders etc. I'd get back to them, they are outside the terms of reference for the Great War Forum in any event.

Good morning, In relation to the medals rolls  for the  time period you are interested  in I am not sure I have ever seen such a list in existence, even at the Heritage Centre.

As Kenf48 mentioned above I would go back to the Heritage Centre and ask to see if they can check Police Orders for the dates when the Medals were to be issued. There is likely to be an instruction for the issuing  of the Medals and the criteria for which they would be issued. This would hopefully identify if the Officer was entitled to receive them.

In relation to Metropolitan Police Officers who were entitled to the 1887 Jubilee medal , 1902 and 1911 Coronation Medals I do have a list of  Metropolitan Police Officers and the Medals they received. This list is very helpful as it also identifies Metropolitan Police Officers who served in the Armed Services during WW1.

I can also help if you believe an individual was a Metropolitan Police Officer  who then went onto serve in the Armed Services during WW1.

On 21/06/2023 at 10:32, tullybrone said:

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions, Toontraveller. I'll do what you recommend.

PS apologies for using the GWF for post-war info