Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Africa Campaign

Brian Buck

My niece has offered to mount my father's medals for display, as she did for her father (my brother) a Normandy Veteran.

My father served in France from May 1916 to February 1917 and in East Africa from January 1918 to the end of 1919.

His MIC shows the Victory and War Medals. I had always thought he also had the Africa Star for his service in the WW1 East African Campaign. Was a medal issued for this and if so which one and what were the criteria?

The Africa Star was for WW2, Brian. He could have got the 14/15 star for either France or East Africa had he been there. It is possible, I suppose, that he may have qualified for an Africa General Service Medal. Phil B

Brian,

No medal was issued for the East African campaign. Your mans proper entitlement should be the VM and BW given the dates above.

Given the date he went to GEA it would seem likely he was involved in the landings from Kilwa and Lindi. The KAR forming part of one of the HANFORCE columns under General Harrington and Northey . These columns eventually crossed into Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa).

Roop

It's a shame that the WW1 medals were not more campaign specific, like the WW2 issue.

Thanks for the replies. It seems strange that I got the Africa Star for service in Kenya and my Dad who was in action in the WW1 campaign in German and Portuguese East Aftrica got nothing.

Given the date he went to GEA it would seem likely he was involved in the landings from Kilwa and Lindi. The KAR forming part of one of the HANFORCE columns under General Harrington and Northey . These columns eventually crossed into Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa).

Thanks. I have a brief account of what he did in his diary and a good friend and Forum Pal got all the relevant war diary entries for me from the PRO. These are somewhat different from the battalion war diaries as the EA units operated in columns and forces.

Of course I wish I had asked Dad all about this when I was alive. Here is a photo of him, he is on the left.

post-31-1110359522.jpg

Of course I wish I had asked Dad all about this when I was alive.

I hope you've written down your recollections of your time in Kenya aswell as your brother's exploits in Normandy, because one day someone will be saying "I wish I'd asked Brian about Kenya."

Mick

Morning Brian,

If it is of any interest, the IWM photo archive has a large selection of KAR photographs close to the period of your fathers involvement.

Unfortunately, this requires a personal visit, but in my own case proved very fruitful.

Appointments can be made with Ian Carter on 020 7416 5333 . Ian is very helpful and saves you a lot of time by having the goods ready.

Roop