Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR Able Bodied seaman?

Simon Robert John

Obviously it's hard to be certain because of the different poses and headgear, and there is obviously about a 20 year gap between the photos, but I suspect that they're different people. The ear is very similar, but the chin, lips, eyes and bridge of nose look different to me. To my mind, the 2 men look similar, but not identical. But I accept that it is very hard to tell and I wouldn't base any ID solely on a comparison between those 2 photos. 

Edited by headgardener

3 minutes ago, headgardener said:

Obviously it's hard to be certain because of the different poses and headgear, and there is obviously about a 20 year gap between the photos, but I suspect that they're different people. The ear is very similar, but the chin, lips, eyes and bridge of nose look different to me. To my mind, the 2 men look similar, but not identical. But I accept that it is very hard to tell and I wouldn't base any ID solely on a comparison between those 2 photos. 

I have been looking at this photo comparison for the past 5 mins or so & my thought is that it is not the same man.

Like HG I thought the left ear might be similar, but I cannot see anything else close.

I agree its pretty hard to make a definitive comparison here with at least a possible 20 yr gap between photos.

headgardener

I don't have the photo, and don't know who does. I didn't think about the colour, it has to have been changed in some way. Maybe Pauline and co. will find it. Sorry. 

My wife is pretty good at faces, she really wasn't at all sure. I'd love a few more photos, and over the years in between. I can't convince myself that they are the same.

Simon

Edited by Simon Robert John

• 3 months later...

In the RNVR Index,1903-1922, after his given birth date (1894), it says 'Between 1904 and 1914'. That would have given him 10 years in the ? cadet group?

'Between 1904 and 1914'.  This is part of the Description of the TNA Item and refers to the time period from which those records are drawn, in this case the records of the pre-war Bristol Companies. Nothing to do with Cadets. He was in No.1 Coy Bristol Division RNVR from 2 Dec 1912.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year to you all.

I received a reply from Navy Command returning my cheque and pointing me to the same documents in the National Archives that headgardener had found.

They seemed to have missed the question I asked about inter-war service. Should I try Army? Territorial Army?

Pauline had a major distraction with a very sick child in the family and no one has yet looked at the photos. Reassuringly she has had her two shots against covid.

The post I put on the Iron Duke facebook page garnered a few likes and no further information.