Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erased MM to identify

garfyboy

That looks hopeful. That could be the base of a 'W'. He was a sergeant when he won his in 1916:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 18.20.31.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Oh my lord........ that is our man!!! It’s pretty plain to see once the name is out in front of you, i am chuffed to bits that this is no longer a ‘gap filler’ and this mans medal is preserved, I will research mr daggett and compile a file to go along with the medal.

well done 142676265 and thank you to all involved, I really appreciate your help, what a fabulous site the Great War forum is 👏🏼 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼😊

andy

I see that the MM was for actions from 25th june 1916 to 10th July 1916 (Williamsons book) does anybody have the war diary available please

Ivor ......... you are a star, thank you :thumbsup:

Garfyboy, I'm sure you're glad you posted that 'long-shot'!? :D  142676265 had the answer all along!

Edited by Ivor Anderson

3 minutes ago, IPT said:

Daggett, 1765, Sergeant W. (Scarborough) - 19 August 1916 - Hull Daily Mail 

Is  there any chance of finding that article to get a print out?

3 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Garfyboy, I'm sure you're glad you posted that 'long-shot'!? :D  142676265 had the answer all along!

:D I really am surprised, unbelievable

12 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Captain Harold Brown got the Military Cross for that action (he was later KIA on 23 March 1918 aged 39):

Citation: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29724/supplement/8457

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 20.12.26.png

Thus story gets better and better

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

One soldier's number from one war within another from another.

While good to reveal a lost name, it begs the question as to what caused the MM to have its details erased. Therein lies the real detective work.

I suspect that the below article relates to him, due to a 1915 marriage in Scarborough between William Daggett and Harriet Lill.  Quite possibly, he sold the MM to someone who wished to claim it for themselves.

Leeds Mercury - 19th April 1919

OUT OF WORK JOINER’S EXCUSE FOR NON-MAINTENANCE OF WIFE When Harriet Daggett, of 26, Woodhouse Cliff, Leeds, summoned her husband, William Daggett, jun., for desertion. at Leeds, Thursday, some discussion took place on the out-of-work donation. Mr. Willey, having ascertained that the husband, a joiner, was out of work, asked, Are you one of those persons who prefer to ‘draw unemployment money rather than get work? Defendant said he was getting 29s. per week, but was looking for work. Mr. Willey: When you left the Army hadn’t you month’s holiday with pay? —Yes, but I had five courts-martial to pay for. (Laughter.) How much ought allow wife out of 29s. per week? Mr. Willey: Twenty-five shillings a week, then you will get work straightaway. The Chairman (Mr. Walter Foster) said they were satisfied that defendant could get work if he tried, and made order for 25s. a week maintenance, the wife to have the custody of the children.

27 minutes ago, IPT said:

I suspect that the below article relates to him, due to a 1915 marriage in Scarborough between William Daggett and Harriet Lill.  Quite possibly, he sold the MM to someone who wished to claim it for themselves.

Leeds Mercury - 19th April 1919

OUT OF WORK JOINER’S EXCUSE FOR NON-MAINTENANCE OF WIFE When Harriet Daggett, of 26, Woodhouse Cliff, Leeds, summoned her husband, William Daggett, jun., for desertion. at Leeds, Thursday, some discussion took place on the out-of-work donation. Mr. Willey, having ascertained that the husband, a joiner, was out of work, asked, Are you one of those persons who prefer to ‘draw unemployment money rather than get work? Defendant said he was getting 29s. per week, but was looking for work. Mr. Willey: When you left the Army hadn’t you month’s holiday with pay? —Yes, but I had five courts-martial to pay for. (Laughter.) How much ought allow wife out of 29s. per week? Mr. Willey: Twenty-five shillings a week, then you will get work straightaway. The Chairman (Mr. Walter Foster) said they were satisfied that defendant could get work if he tried, and made order for 25s. a week maintenance, the wife to have the custody of the children.

Yes. That likely explains how he parted with his MM. Hard earned, but sold out of necessity. Perhaps the person who bought it had done the same with theirs? 

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Although there a few possibles, I'm struggling to find him as a child of British parent/s, born in America. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd changed some details along the way.

As an aside, he was pinched for riding a train without a ticket in 1912.

Edited by IPT

The marriage of William Daggett and Harriet Lill was in Scarborough district in Q1 1915. The maintenance claim in April 1919 was for her and the 'children'.

A son Ronald Daggett was born in Q4 1915 in Scarborough district (mother's maiden name Lill).

A Ronald Daggett aged 0 also died in Scarborough district in Q4 1915.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

30 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

The marriage of William Daggett and Harriet Lill was in Scarborough district in Q1 1915. The maintenance claim in April 1919 was for her and the 'children'.

A son Ronald Daggett was born in Q4 1915 in Scarborough district (mother's maiden name Lill).

A Ronald Daggett aged 0 also died in Scarborough district in Q4 1915.

Yes, I was confused by that but there are a number of births in Scarborough, under the name Lill, with the mother also being Lill.  George E in 1911, George WD in 1914 and Esther A in 1916. Could be some of them perhaps?

6 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Another fascinating research success by Forum team! Well done.

Yes, a truly fantastic bit of research, what a great knowledgeable bunch

Morning all, I thought I would just add the header page on my research for William daggett, I am still buzzing that a tiny bit of history has been restored 

F327879F-D9B0-4610-91BD-1935E942E19C.jpeg

36 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

Morning all, I thought I would just add the header page on my research for William daggett, I am still buzzing that a tiny bit of history has been restored 

F327879F-D9B0-4610-91BD-1935E942E19C.jpeg

Thank you Garfyboy, another person remembered and story told