Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erased MM to identify

garfyboy

Hi folks

This may be impossible but i have to try, i have a George V 1st type MM that has  been erased but there are some details remaining, is there any chance of finding the recipient through these minimal detail ??

NUMBER -   1 ? ? 5            RANK - SJT                NAME -                             REG - 5 ????????  

There are some methods for revealing erased numbers involving acid and an electric current but this may damage the medal. If you have a camera with a macro setting you could take a close up photograph of the rim, post it and see if any of the forum pals can identify more of the missing details.  

Thanks bill

I’m afraid I don’t have a macro setting, I have tried to take close ups but to no avail, there are a couple of letters visible in the name, I will try again but I don’t hold out much hope

Try very lightly tracing onto a piece of paper along the rim of the medal. I tried doing a couple of wildcard searches of the ww1 medal database on TNA's website, but no hits for an MM MIC. Maybe you're misreading one of the digits? 

Edited by headgardener

If you're absolutely certain that the service number is confined to four digits, beginning with 1, ending with 5, the only one of the British recipients that fits, that I could see would be:

1415 Sergeant William Albert Prior, MM and Bar, 5 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps.

51 minutes ago, Nigel Marshall said:

If you're absolutely certain that the service number is confined to four digits, beginning with 1, ending with 5, the only one of the British recipients that fits, that I could see would be:

1415 Sergeant William Albert Prior, MM and Bar, 5 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps.

I think more info from the OP is necessary. I came across Prior when I did some wildcard searches (mentioned earlier in this thread). There are 2 problems with linking him to this partially erased MM.

The first is that the initial award was issued to him as "Pte" so this is what should appear on the medal. The bar appears to have been officially issued as "Pte (a/Sgt)", but this wouldn't appear on the medal, only in the LG.

Also, Prior's MM MIC shows "Sgt." so (in theory at least) the rank on the medal *should* read the same as the one listed on the card. The OP records it as "Sjt.", so this is how should appear on the MM MIC

So, for those reasons, I'm sceptical that it's Prior's MM. 

On 06/09/2020 at 16:06, Nigel Marshall said:

Apologies for the late reply (family emergency)

Firstly, many thanks for your research, great work,  i have just spent some time under a glass and i am not certain there are only 4 digits but i can see 1??5  i cannot be certain but it could be 1445 then SJT then possibly a A then a totally erased letter or two and then another A and what looks like GGT, so possibly  So possibly A. ??AGGT??

I know its vague, sorry

Here is a pic ive just taken, so you can see the numbers to the left then SJT (not good to see at this angle) and then some of the name as described in earlier quote

IMG_3091.PNG

IMG_3093.PNG

Based on those photos, and without getting a really clear view of the partially erased number, I wonder whether it could be 14295 Sjt. J. G. MADDISON 5/YORKS?

It may just be an illusion, but the letters and numbers do not appear to be stamped or impressed at the same level - the bottom of the 5 appears to be lower than the SJ. Likewise letters in the name. Might it be that the medal is a fake blank, which has  been stamped and then erased leaving a few tempting clues, to give a degree of plausibility?

That could be a possibility, I’m not sure if there is room for 3 numbers between the 1 and the 5, the two ‘GG’ could certainly be ‘DD’

6 hours ago, 14276265 said:

It may just be an illusion, but the letters and numbers do not appear to be stamped or impressed at the same level - the bottom of the 5 appears to be lower than the SJ. Likewise letters in the name. Might it be that the medal is a fake blank, which has  been stamped and then erased leaving a few tempting clues, to give a degree of plausibility?

Thank and Yes I agree , that does look to be the case and I have looked at other medals and also Williamson’s book and this doesn’t seem unusual, I have enclosed a couple of images from the book, one thing for certain is that this is a original medal

F661CED9-E202-4B5A-ACF5-446D1D212E2D.jpeg

3C0D391B-19BF-4671-9E41-3F2007935C32.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Am I seeing square  letters after the DD. Like  WADDELL or similar?

Yes, I would say three square letters after the DD / GG first one being a T or a E

I did some pretty broad wildcard searches of the MIC's (using '*ADD*' and '1*5' and 'serjeant' - or 'sergeant' in case the spelling was mistranscribed by TNA) and there are only 4 hits with MM's, and only one of which had a regiment beginning with the number '5', which is MADDISON as listed above). 

If you want to get to the bottom of it, I'd suggest either taking clear photographs of each part of the details around the rim - preferably using a magnifying glass - and confirm whether you're certain that the letters you can read are '1**5' + 'Sjt' + '*ADD****+' and regiment starting with '5'. If you're certain that's what you're seeing then the possible list of recipients is very very limited. 

Edited by headgardener

Thanks head gardener, you’ve done a great job, I have a zoom function on my phone, when I’m home later I will try taking some images with that as a last try

A suggestion; try getting your shots in focus, then try blowing up the images rather than trying to get in close and ending up with unfocussed images. Take 1 or 2 shots each of the number, rank, initials, surname and regiment. 

Nice one, thanks 

Hi

Another suggestion regarding taking a picture of the rim, I always place the medal flat on the edge of a work surface with the rim just slightly hanging over. then get down parallel with it for your photo. This gives a better chance of getting the engraving/stamping crisp.

Steve

Thanks steve, I’ve just Done that, photos added

8C2ACF20-B602-44F6-9C11-A07AB7A4C1EE.jpeg

20C0A467-E4B8-45AA-9F52-F667DBA5D604.jpeg

4186ACA9-7657-45F9-B7AC-D58017CA4943.png

99B805A9-E7E5-4FBD-BA27-6B6B7AF84C1E.png

B7229F24-EF3B-4A23-B31C-F9B22E80357F.png

8BE38B99-FE36-4586-8FEE-0C5E48F2119B.jpeg

That’s the best I can get photo wise, I understand it may be a impossible task but it has to be worth one last go, appreciate everyone’s efforts

andy

I think that is a good an image as we'll get. Someone definitely tried to make it illegible. Additional marks have been made. 

1d.jpg

1c.jpg

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson