Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archie Davidson - soldiers effects

Hi- sorry to piggyback off this post, but I'm hoping that @ss002d6252 can help. In the attached picture, the effects of Archie Davidson went partially to his brother William, who I believed until now had died in childhood. I was very surprised to see that he was alive in 1920. Is there any information that I might be able to find through any soldier files about William's address or status at the time? What does 'For Distribution" mean? 

42511_6117462_0158-00278.jpg

I've split it in to a new topic.

The 'For distribution' seems to refer to the fact that the £3 originally due for payment to the father was instead distributed between William and the father. It would suggest there was a Will.

It gives no further details as the location of William - it appears that they couldn't track down the father though.

Craig

His Pension Card shows his mother got a dependents pension. She was living at 122  Graham St, Glasgow

Hello Heather and Welcome to the Forum,

The Soldier's Effects record would normally use 'For Distribution' to share with other siblings. It does not show his father William as 'Sole Legatee'.

But, below the line for Distribution by brother William, there is another lines showing 'Retained Share' of the same amount to his father William.

There is no Soldier's Will on the ScotlandsPeople website.

On Fold3 there is a Pension Index Card showing a pension of 5/- per week to his mother Mrs. William Davidson, 122 West Graham Street, Glasgow.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Archibald Davidson, Private 34980, is listed on Page 154 of the Highland Light Infantry Chronicle, page 154, among the NCOs and Men reported as Missing.

I have posted the page 154 with his name highlighted..

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

HLI Chronicle 1918 p154 34980 Pte Archibald Davidson full page.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang