Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Longest headstone inscription 127 characters with address

tharkin56

This is the longest one i have come across

In Proud And Loving Memory Eldest Son Of Mr. & Mrs. J. Leiper Gemmill 16 Dargarvel Avenue, Glasgow Killed In Action Near Thiepval Loved One Death Is Not The End

I thought at first the address inclusion was an error, but it wasn't. Also the first one with an address in. 

https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3257144

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/532046/JOHN ADSHEAD GEMMILL/#&gid=3&pid=3

Any inscriptions more than 127? Curious

Each letter costing 3 and a half old pence.

Should not exceed 66 letters including spaces.

ins.JPG

Edited by Alan24

8 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Each letter costing 3 and a half old pence.

Thruppence ha'penny, please.

Everyone knows the longest epitaph is in Bailleul, I thought.

455 characters: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/199283/

In loving memory of Lieutenant Alfred James Lawrence Evans. B.Sc. McGill. 1st Canadian Division 7th December 1915. Aged 26 years. Born at Quebec. Died of wounds received on 23rd November 1915 while in command of 1st Bde Mining Sec. 3rd Btn. front line trenches, Belgium. Mentioned in despatches for gallant and distinguished conduct in the field. “The brave die never, being deathless they but change their country’s arms for more, their country’s heart.”

I thought 127 was a lot but not expecting over 200 nor 455

Seeing as inscriptions are not in the cwgc downloads and you cannot search on longest inscription then i guess we see if anyone comes back with anymore.

Maybe next book may have the be 'The Great War'; The Longest Epitaphs

The bodies that were found in the 1920's or later did the families get asked if they would like an inscription.? Cost would not have been an issue to some of these families yet no inscription.

Alan24 is it possible to load the whole of this document, I am finding this quite interesting level of detail

Is 455 the highest?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, tharkin56 said:

The bodies that were found in the 1920's or later did the families get asked if they would like an inscription.? Cost would not have been an issue to some of these families yet no inscription.

At least the headstones of some of the recent burials (Zonnebeke 5 to name just one example) have a personal inscription.

Jan

Another long epitaph to Private Edward Rust, 395,

“SERIOUSLY WOUNDED WHILE ADVANCING WITH HIS REGIMENT IN THE FIGHTING NEAR ST. JULIEN SAT. APRIL 24. 1915 HE WAS TAKEN TO THE FIELD HOSPITAL BUT WAS SO EAGER TO UPHOLD THE HONOUR OF HIS REGIMENT AND TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY THAT HE RETURNED NEXT DAY TO THE FIRING LINE AND REMAINED WITH HIS COMRADES UNTIL THEY WERE RELIEVED AND DIED ON APRIL 30TH COURAGEOUS TO THE END AND BELOVED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM”

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/44863/

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

“SERIOUSLY WOUNDED WHILE ADVANCING WITH HIS REGIMENT IN THE FIGHTING NEAR ST. JULIEN SAT. APRIL 24. 1915 HE WAS TAKEN TO THE FIELD HOSPITAL BUT WAS SO EAGER TO UPHOLD THE HONOUR OF HIS REGIMENT AND TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY THAT HE RETURNED NEXT DAY TO THE FIRING LINE AND REMAINED WITH HIS COMRADES UNTIL THEY WERE RELIEVED AND DIED ON APRIL 30TH COURAGEOUS TO THE END AND BELOVED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM”

And yes, it was inscribed on his CWGC headstone!

See photo at Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/55956199/edward-rust 

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

3 hours ago, Alan24 said:

ins.JPG

1 hour ago, tharkin56 said:

Alan24 is it possible to load the whole of this document, I am finding this quite interesting level of detail

I too would appreciate seeing it, and knowing the name/reference and location of this document, please.

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Everyone knows the longest epitaph is in Bailleul, I thought.

455 characters: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/199283/

In loving memory of Lieutenant Alfred James Lawrence Evans. B.Sc. McGill. 1st Canadian Division 7th December 1915. Aged 26 years. Born at Quebec. Died of wounds received on 23rd November 1915 while in command of 1st Bde Mining Sec. 3rd Btn. front line trenches, Belgium. Mentioned in despatches for gallant and distinguished conduct in the field. “The brave die never, being deathless they but change their country’s arms for more, their country’s heart.”

Yes, that one was also engraved on his CWGC headstone - it's a miracle they found the space.

Photo at the War Grave Photographic Project https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/2616425 

30 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I too would appreciate seeing it, and knowing the name/reference and location of this document, please.

No problem.

Will post the whole page when I return home this evening.

Regards 

Alan.

19 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

it's a miracle they found the space.

I have a large photo in my collection showing the inscription, not mine, so I will acknowledge the copyright 

F74C3119-5347-42B3-A94E-D6A432F4298A.jpeg

4 hours ago, tharkin56 said:

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Here's the full form - 4 sides.

The printer's date is November 1922 and the post mark 15 Jan 1923.

My Great Grandmother never returned the form which is why we still have it in the family.

Most families would have returned the whole 4 sides as requested, I guess. 

Regards

Alan.

imp1.JPG

imp2.JPG

imp3.JPG

imp4.JPG

3 hours ago, Alan24 said:

Here's the full form - 4 sides.

Alan,

Thank you for sharing your poignant family artefact.

Edit: I'd missed them earlier [but to now belatedly acknowledge Michelle in post #2 and Squirrel in #4 - so many minds thinking alike  ;-/] and to now expand upon

Another long personal inscription:

CAPTAIN GUY CHARLES BOILEAU WILLOCK
London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) 18th Bn.
Died 25 September 1915
Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos

- is visible on CWGC website

[though like many when viewed on a small screen often found off the bottom of the screen and requires scrolling down to view]

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/527871/GUY CHARLES BOILEAU WILLOCK

SHOT WHILE LEADING HIS MEN OVER THE TOP "HE WAS LOVED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM A BRAVE SOLDIER AND A GALLANT GENTLEMAN OF NEVER FAILING CHEERFULNESS & CONTEMPTUOUS OF DANGER" "PEACE, PEACE, HE IS NOT DEAD HE DOTH NOT SLEEP HE HATH AWAKENED FROM THE DREAM OF LIFE"

It was carved on his CWGC headstone.

Photos available at:

WGPP https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3345604 ]

and FaG https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56458003/guy-charles_boileau-willock 

[also shows another photo of his memorial plaque in Little Bookham Church with another lengthy personal inscription - In ever loving memory of ... Killed 25th September 1915 whilst leading his company in the attack on the German trenches at Loos. ''Loved by all who knew him. A brave soldier and a gallant English gentleman" "Of never failing cheerfulness and contemptuous of danger'']

:-) M 

Edited by Matlock1418
Later acknowledgement of earlier posts

I'm wondering, from the nature of those posted so far, whether these extra long personal inscriptions, which clearly exceed the IWGC 'rule' on length,  might not have been those given by families post war, but are actually the words placed on  original battlefield memorials at the time of death  (or shortly thereafter) as tributes  by their comrades or men under their command. It would make some sense that these would have been acknowledged by the IWGC by their copying of  them on to the official headstones, regardless of whether they exceeded the length restriction, when these were eventually placed years later.  The question is whether there is any evidence - a photo of the original memorials, or documentation in the CWGC archives, say - to go towards proving this.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

12 hours ago, NigelS said:

I'm wondering, from the nature of those posted so far, whether these extra long personal inscriptions, which clearly exceed the IWGC 'rule' on length,  might not have been those given by families post war, but are actually the words placed on  original battlefield memorials at the time of death  (or shortly thereafter) as tributes  by their comrades or men under their command. It would make some sense that these would have been acknowledged by the IWGC by their copying of  them on to the official headstones, regardless of whether they exceeded the length restriction, when these were eventually placed years later.  The question is whether there is any evidence - a photo of the original memorials, or documentation in the CWGC archives, say - to go towards proving this.

It has to be noted that all the examples provided so far are for Officers.

Not withstanding the obvious cost/affordability issue, could there be any other reasons? 

Anyone find an example of Other Ranks exceeding the 55 (1923) or 60 (1953) maximum number of letters. 

15 hours ago, tharkin56 said:

60 Letters for £1 - still only an increase from 3.5d to 4d per letter in 30 years.

On 02/09/2020 at 00:37, NigelS said:

Would be interesting to see what further evidence turns up about possible earlier inscriptions

On 02/09/2020 at 13:21, Alan24 said:

It has to be noted that all the examples provided so far are for Officers.

Not withstanding the obvious cost/affordability issue, could there be any other reasons? 

Private Rust got an earlier long mention

On 29/08/2020 at 12:55, Knotty said:

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Private Rust got an earlier long mention

Oops, missed that one.