Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Frederic George Greenstreet

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

I have found this man on a War Memorial in the village of Pattingham Staffordshire. I looked him up on CWGC and his MIC index and the details are as follows:-

Major Frederic George Greenstreet

Nationality:- Indian

Regiment:- 103rd Mahratta Light Infantry Captain, Acting Major

Sec Unit:- 105th Mahratta Light Infantry Captain, Acting Major

Attached:- Gloucester Regiment

Aged:- 36

Died:- 9-1-17

Remembered on Basra Memorial.

Son of Col W.L. Greenstreet and Maud Greenstreet of the Rectory, Compton Bassett, Colne, Wiltshire.

I was wondering as to what his connection is with a little village in Staffordshire ?

Any information would be most welcome.

Cheers

Tim.

This may add to the confusion

Rev W G Greensmith from 1891 Census Vicar for Pattingham Staffordshire

born Madras East India Aged 77

Possibly your man is WG Greensmith's Grandson

Can't see F G Greenstreet in 1871, 1881, 1901 census

Regards

Woody

post-1-1109101379.jpg

Tim

In the March quarter of 1844, the birth of William Lees Greenstreet was registered in Wolverhampton, Volume 17, Page 347. This registration district includes Patingham.

In September quarter of 1869, William Lees Greenstreet married Matilda Christina Kent in Brighton, Sussez. Volume 2b, Page 342a.

The 1871 census does not show any trace of William Lees Greenstreet and his wife. Perhaps they have moved to India by this time? In Patingham at this time, the vicar is William George Greenstreet, born abt. 1814 in the East Indies. He is shown as widowed with two daughters, Elizabeth (26) and Ellen (21).

My presumption is that William Lees Greenstreet was the son of William George Greenstreet.

By 1881, William George Greenstreet was still the vicar at Patingham. Living with his at this time are his grandchildren, Lawrence William Greenstreet (7) and Violet Mary Greenstreet (5). The children are both shown to be born in the East Indies.

In 1891, the Reverend is now 77 years old and remains the vicar at Patingham. Also here with his at this time is his son, Reverend Alfred Thomas Greenstreet, aged 37.

William George Greenstreet died in 1900.

In the 1901 census, William Lees Greenstreet is now shown, aged 57. Along with his wife Matilda, he lives in St Giles, Berkshire with his two daughters Minna, aged 21 and born in Folkstone, and Stella, aged 18 and born in India. William is shown to be a Colonel in the Royal Engineers. (Maud, as shown on CWGC, is often a derivative of Matilda).

Frederick George Greenstreet is shown as having Indian nationality and was aged 36 at the time of his death in 1917, meaning he would have been born about 1881. There’s no reason for him to appear on any of the censuses as he lived in India. Given that he is commemorated in Mesopotamia, it is probable that he never actually set foot in England.

So I think that the connection with Patingham is that FGG was the son of WLG and grandson of WGG. Seeing as WLG was born in Patingtham, and WGG was the vicar for probably in excess of 20 years, this could well explain his inclusion on the war memorial.

What do you think, Tim?

SN

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve, :)

Having done a bit more digging about, I think you're probably right ! I'll do some more digging and let you know !!

Cheers

Tim.

Tim,

There is a small picture of Maj. F.G. Greenstreet, Indian Infantry, in War Illustrated if you want it adding to the thread. No further information.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, :)

That would be brilliant. Thanks.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

Did you get anything from SDGW indicating his place of birth?

Tim

This is from the International Genealogical Index (IGI):

Parents: William George Greenstreet and Elizabeth Jane

Christened at Pattingham, Stafford

11 February 1844 William Lees Greenstreet

19 March 1845 Elizabeth North Greenstreet

11 October 1846 Arthur Greenstreet

15 July 1849 Ellen Maude Greenstreet

22 May 1853 Alfred Thomas Greenstreet

Also per IGI

William Lees Greenstreet married Matilda Christina Frederica Kent on 2nd September 1869 at Saint Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex

Also per IGI

Parents William Lees Greenstreet and Matilda C. F. Greenstreet

Christened at Folkestone, Kent

13 December 1879 Minnie Lucy Margaret Greenstreet

Per the Quarterly Indian Army Lists for January 1st 1912

Frederick George Greenstreet

Birth Date: 7th March 1881

First Commission: 11th August 1900

Date Rank: 11th August 1909

Company: British Officers of the Indian Army

Remarks: 103 Lt. Infantry

Page No: 138

Pam

Hi Steve, :)

Unfortunately he is not on the SDGW !! :(

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Stuart and Pam, :)

The picture and the information on him is out of this world. Thank you both so much !!

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

A little bit more information

Re the wedding of George Lees Greenstreet and Matilda Christina Frederica Kent. He was aged 25 years and she was 21 years. His father's name was William George Greenstreet and hers was Frederic Kent

Also I have managed to find Matilda and the children on athe 1891 Census located at Streatham as follows:

Matilda C. F. Greenstreet (Head), aged 42 years, Born Greenwich, Wife of Officer on Foreign Service

Violet M. Greenstreet (Dau), aged 15 years, Born India, N. W. Papa ?

Minna L. Greenstreet (Dau), aged 11 years, Born Folkestone

Frederic G. Greenstreet (Son), aged 10 years, Born Paddington

Stella M. Greenstreet (Dau), aged 8 years, Born India, Punjab Smila

Pam

Hi Pam, :)

More great information. That is great to get Frederic's place of birth. I must admit I'm surprised to see it's in England !!

Could I just ask about Stella's place of birth. Is it definitely, as you've spelt it Smila or is it SIMLA ?

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

It is difficult to read and could quite easily be as you say SIMLA

There is a birth registration of a Frederick George Greenstreet for the Dec Qtr 1881 in Kensington (which in 1881 included Paddington) but this would conflict with the date of birth per the Indian Army List also if he was registered in Dec Qtr 1881 he should only be 9 years per 1891 Census not 10 years. Could just be the age on the Census is wrong.

Anyway the birth registration may be him but as I'm just looking at the Free indexes which are incomplete the only way of proving it is to look at the complete set of Birth indexes and get a certificate.

Also per the IGI (for India) Violet Mary Greenstreet was born on 23rd October 1875 at Agra, West Bengal, India no parents are given.

Regards

Pam