Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was this tank in action?

squirrel

I am trying to find where this tank was in action. in August 1917 -any assistance greatly appreciated.

Pedantic answer: F26 was a crew number not a tank number. 

Fearless was in action on 31 Jul 17. Fearless II was in action at Cambrai. It is possible that they were the same tank. What is certain is that they used the same crew number. But this doesn’t mean that they had the same people.

Thanks for this - any idea where it was in action on 31st July 1917?

Squirrel 

Google Landships answers your question. It is a brilliant research tool.

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/3rdypresnarratives/3rdypresnarratives-byunit/f-tank-battalion-ob-3rd-ypres

and

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/3rdypresnarratives/3rdypresnarratives-byunit/17company31july1917

6 Section.

F26, 5:53am - Ditched in British front line, 100yds N.E. of Pagoda Wood in large shell hole full of water; Penetrated by shell fragments. Abandoned 11.30. (W23)

You should be able to get the war diaries for F battalion and the 3rd Brigade of the Tanks Corps for free from The National Archive Website.

INW

Thank you very much - greatly appreciated.

On 28/08/2020 at 21:15, INW said:

Interesting links... I don't know much about the Tank Corps... Discovery at the National Archives is only showing Brigade war diaries yet, the link is showing company and battalion so is there anywhere I can find which company and battalion were in which brigade...?

The F Bn/6th Bn WDs are in WO 95/107/2 and WO 95/107/3.

There's also a good published history of 6th (previously F) Bn - available in reprint from Naval & Military Press: https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/war-history-of-the-sixth-tank-battalion/

John

F26 Fearless: Relevant War Diaries

I haven't actually downloaded these diaries but I do think they will be the ones you require.

3 Brigade Tanks Corps 

1917 July - 1917 Aug

WO 95/104/2

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/085fdde0ae154e8e8a73c77f020c2481

6th Battalion Tank Corps

July 1917

WO 95/107/2

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5ae8a4e2e89a493fb05ecebaaa94ddee

6th Battalion Tank Corps

Aug - Nov 1917

WO 95/107/11

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/12911270ace24644a46a22b89c886ea3

No guarantee!

INW

Thanks everyone - very much appreciated.

CIMG0019.JPG

Thanks - it is the Emhar 1/35th kit. The stowage is from the spares box, cam net is bandage from our first aid kit, unditching beam is scratch built from balsa, card, dressmaking pins and the chains some cheap jewellery from a charity shop. The kit is not the easiest to build, fit of some parts is poor, especially at the rear end and the beam rails are a nightmare so I adapted them by cutting into sections, then trimming with some added plastic strip .

Tank number is from the kit transfers, F26 from a set of RAF number transfers. From reviews of the kit it seems that the detail and scale are not entirely accurate either but I think it looks the part and there is always the budget to consider.

Edited by squirrel

Agreed that painting is the key to how the finished model appears but I need to work in the larger scales as the eyesight is not what it was...after the groundwork for F26 I shall attempt the Emhar 1/35th "Whippet"...

• 3 weeks later...

[modeler mode]

Actually you do realise that that particular design of German barbed wire didn't come into service until three weeks after the action you depict . . .

[/modeler mode]

I'm kidding, I like it.

I've got a more serious point (though it's still not very serious). According to the records, on July 31 F26 didn't get much further than the British front line - it ended up stuck in a shell-hole, and incidentally would have been covered in mud. I think your model shows what the commander and crew were hoping would happen. So don't let my comment concern you - it's a fabulous model.

All the best, John 

Thanks John, I appreciate your comments and it's one of those grey areas as to what happened - history of the 6th tank battalion is unclear on whether or not the tank actually got to German front line before subsequently becoming ditched in a shell hole in front of the British front line. 3rd Tank Brigade diary is equally unclear.

FWIW I think that trying to replicate the mud accurately on a small model covers up the detail and to my mind doesn't look right so I have just aimed for a weathered look. 

Tank with same F26 marking also took part in the battle of Cambrai when it was relatively dry... 

52 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

[modeler mode]

Actually you do realise that that particular design of German barbed wire didn't come into service until three weeks after the action you depict . . .

[/modeler mode]

I'm kidding, I like it.

Thanks for your comments - appreciated. The coiled wire is an 00 gauge model railway accessory, the other wire is polystyrene . I suspect that the Germans had access to neither at the time....

Hi, in some ways the model depicts Cambrai better than 3rd Ypres - on November 20, 1917, F26 reached the German lines and would have received the kind of reception you've shown. Also there was no protracted artillery bombardment beforehand, so the tanks weren't covered in mud and that part fits. The only fly in the ointment is that at Cambrai the tanks carried fascines to enable them to carry the especially wide trenches.

Anyway carping aside, congrats again on a great model.

John

Edited by johntaylor

The model looks great!!! 

I have two boxes at home... Mark IV male and female... never made a model in my life but got them from a friend who HAD to clean out his close to 400 unopened model boxes at home... 

I hope to not screw them up... if I come to find the time to make them one day... 

M.

Well, as the saying goes "there's no harm in trying" so do get one of them out and make start. Best to read the assembly instructions through first as they can be a little confusing sometimes. The results are always worth the effort.

On 22/09/2020 at 08:58, squirrel said:

Finally finished the project.

Fearless 7.jpg

Very nice - and you seem to have found a use for rice cakes!

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Very nice - and you seem to have found a use for rice cakes!

Thank you. Are you referring to the expanded polystyrene on the sides? If so, not that much difference in flavour to rice cakes then...

Edited by squirrel