Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Butte de Warlencourt

Mike Steele

Having something of an interest in the Durham Light Infantry I have always wanted to go and see the famous Butte de Warlencourt where Bradford lead the 3 battalions of the DLI in their ill fated attack late in the Somme offensive.

I am familiar with the old wooden cross that is now back home in my birthplace, Durham, and also that the WFA now own the land.

My question is what exactly is there to see there now ??

My best guess from a couple of visits you can see at least five miles in each direction but at times the path has been a mess.

I was there about 4 weeks ago, and I regret to say that the growth of bushes on the Butte is such that you can not see anything at all from the summit.

WFA has engaged contractors in France to keep the Butte 'shaved' - not a small undertaking - but their effect appears to be minimal. We could see where the bushes had been cut back, but already this years growth was overtaking it.

At the top, now surrounded by this growth, accessible via a footpath, is the WFA memorial that you can see on the photo-tour of the 1916 Somme battlefield at www.1914-1918.net.

Just to confirm what Chris has said - even when I was last there with a walking group in April, the view from the Butte was limited. I had thought/hoped that whoever was responsible for the work, would clear some trees at the top so the commanding view can be appreciated.

The "steps" to the top are also still a bit of a Heath-Robinson affair, but having said all that the Butte is a wonderful place; perhaps even best appreciated from the ground below it - so that it dominates you, just like it dominated the fighting at the end of the Somme in 1916.

Mike: by to 'see', do you mean the view or to 'inspect'? If it's the latter you will find your visit enhanced by a copy of Bradford's graphic and lucid account of the attack of the Durham terriers on the Butte in November 1916; it is enlivened by Bradford's personal opinion of the worth of the attack expressed in language some might find unsoldierly.

In particular it contains quite a decent pictogram of the Butte with key features of the battle indicated. It enables a quick then and now comparison and orientation on your visit. I have used it with good effect when I have taken visitors there

You can find a copy at the DLI museum at Aykley Head in Durham City; a copy was also included in the booklet produced by the WFA for the official 'opening' of the Butte by the WFA in 1991. Failing that I have a copy which I can scan and email

Thanks Hedley, you are spot on, it was more what is there to view/investigate that I was interested in, than the actual view from the top !! I was at the DLI museum only last year but didn't see any copy of a Bradford account of the attack on the Butte otherwise I would have been straight onto it. Being a Durham lad by birth I am back in the area quite regularly.

The only account I have read of the attack was in the 50th divisional history which while very descriptive was by the natural scope of the book, somewhat brief.

I would very much appreciate a copy of the document. I will PM you my email if that is ok with you ??

many thanks for everyones suggestions and help, I will be definitely be visiting the Butte on the way back to the autoroute from my exhausting 24 hours on July 1st !!!

Mike

Mike - I have a spare copy of this booklet somewhere. If you want it and can get to Delville Wood on 1st July, I will have it there for you. Free of charge, of course.

Mike - I have a spare copy of this booklet somewhere. If you want it and can get to Delville Wood on 1st July, I will have it there for you. Free of charge, of course.

Cheers Paul, I shall of course be popping into Delville Wood on the 1st anyway :)