Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers and stepmothers

Kathie

Of my twenty soldiers about, a number had mothers who died in childbirth (usually after a great many children) and then their fathers remarried pretty quickly and continued reproducing.

I dont know where to find information on death in childbirth and remarriage. Any ideas where I might find something interesting. I want to put in about two paragraphs about chldren, no contraception (or inadequate), midwives, lack of anaesthetics, what people died from in childbirth - I seem to remember puerperal fever (???), the need to remarry becauase of bring ing up childen etc. Has anyone got thoughts or informatin which I can use to fill up.

Thanks

Kathie

Browse for Lennox's Dundee for more of this sort of stuff. Gives a good essay on social conditions in Edwardian Britain. What things were like in 'Dominions' etc .... dunno.

Des

At the turn of the last century, Dundee was an industrial city with few pretensions - a hard town. According to the 1901 Census, its crowded streets were home to more than 163,000 people, concentrated in a far smaller area than today’s city boundaries. With Edward VII newly on the throne, Dundee people went about their everyday lives in much the same way as those of other Scottish cities, but poverty and its effects were notable, even by the standards of the day. In 1901, the Registrar General noted that, of the Scottish cities ... ‘the highest death rates among children in their second year were 8.13 per cent in Dundee’ ... and ... ‘the mortality of infants under 12 months ranged from 13.93 per cent in Paisley ... to 21.28 in Dundee.’ Young children, in particular, fell fatally victim to whooping cough, diarrhoea and measles, while respiratory diseases – pneumonia, phthisis, bronchitis and the like – took their grim toll from all age-groups. The Dundee Year Book of 1903 illustrated the cycle of privation and disease. Poor, ill-ventilated rooms ... ‘with the walls and the ceiling running with moisture or crumbling with decay’... were commonplace in the tenements, where often there were absolutely no sanitary arrangements, or an outdoor convenience serving eight or ten families.