Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Graham HATFIELD

Lindar

16 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Circling back to Raymond Hatfield in the London electoral rolls, from 1945 to 1947, there is a Raymond Hatfield living alone in Islington in apartment 18 in Maygood House. From 1948 onwards Winifred and Allan Hatfield are also on the electoral roll, living at the same address as Raymond. Since they are both on the electoral roll, they must both be of voting age, which at that time was 21. All three of them continue to appear on the electoral roll, living at the same address, until 1960, and then in 1961 the electoral roll shows only Winifred and Alan living at the same address, with no sign of Raymond. 

A search through the 1939 England and Wales Register brings up a Winifred Hatfield, born in 1989, living with Edward, born 1923, and Alan, born 1925, in Horsham, Sussex. Winifred is married, but there is no sign of her husband, and the three of them appear to be sharing the address with a family named Ings. Alan would be the right age to be eligible to vote in 1948, when Winifred and Alan first appear on the electoral roll with Raymond.

I'm just wondering if I am clutching at straws here, or whether there is something to this? Of course, I also cannot find any trace of a Raymond Hatfield death around 1960/1961. 

Thanks again for help😊

16 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

At first glance he looks like he married Alice Lock in Paddington in 1906....if so he is definitely not the right man...but at least he's eliminated from the enquiries.

👍😥

On 29/08/2020 at 08:18, Lindar said:

Thanks again for help😊

👍😥

Evening Andy and Craig

Someone has put in their tree- all other details are correct - that Charles Edward Weir of Windyridge Nutley avenue Saltden Sussex -died 7 August 1954 at Southlands Hospital Shoreham-by- Sea Sussex. Probate Lewes 10 September to Barclays Bank Ltd Effects £2885 19s 6d. What's your thoughts - could it be our man? As I think you know someone else said he died at sea in 1954  -same year?? Just a coincidence. 

On 19/08/2020 at 08:52, Tawhiri said:

Finally, there is a death registration in the third quarter of 1954 for a Charles E Weir in Worthing, Sussex, with an inferred birth year of 1885/86 from his age at death.

Linda

I unfortunately think that this is the Charles Edward Weir that we looked at earlier, and who we decided was not 'our' Charles Edward Weir, given that his life seemed to be particularly well documented.

9 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Linda

I unfortunately think that this is the Charles Edward Weir that we looked at earlier, and who we decided was not 'our' Charles Edward Weir, given that his life seemed to be particularly well documented.

Ok thanks 😊

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/09/2020 at 09:16, Lindar said:

Ok thanks 😊

Morning Andy and Craig

Hope you guys are well. An struggling to find Charles Weir - can you give me any tips as to where to go now please. 

Kind regards 

Linda 😊

• 2 months later...

No updates on where Charles Edward Weir finished up after the late 1920's unfortunately, but it would appear from the New South Wales, Australia Police Gazette that he decamped from New Zealand to Australia in 1910 after embezzling a large sum of money from his employers in Wellington. Apparently he was passing himself off as a doctor in Australia, and was also an expert tennis player. Arrested in Melbourne in December 1910 and committed to trial in Sydney in February 1911, he then apparently absconded. One wonders whether he then made his way to England from Australia at this time.

Images sourced from Ancestry:

31842_216751-00478.jpg

31842_216751-00502.jpg

31842_216751-00528.jpg

31842_216751-00637.jpg

Hi thanks for replying

Have actually got all the information above and made contact with family in New Zealand where he was born ! Unfortunately no one knows where or when he died. 

He was in trouble with the British government as well ! 

I have found a Charles Weir who married a Mabel Gertrude Stevens in their latter years - this could be him - in Bendigo Australia. Having a job proving it though.

Charles is definitely my grandfather and have recently connected with another grandchild of his through DNA! There are now 10 of us and counting...

Kind regards 

Linda