The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Staffordshire

Roy Evans

Just as an aside here pals.......

The 6 S/Staffs war history book that Roy obtained for me has a number of

names added to the picture plates.

For example, on the plate between pages 64+65 showing three soldiers on Hill 60

someone has added these names under each person.

From left to right they are

Len Tinsley....Bill Bissell.....Jimmy Borick

There are as I say quite a few more with names added.

PM me if you want any more info guys.

Graham,

That book just has to be a bargain! Enjoy.

Roy

Roy

Could you please do a look up for 29/7/16.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Two look-ups, here's page one ....

Page two ....

Jim,

No mention of your man by name but here is the diary entry for 24/11/15 (on two pages)

Page 1

24/11/15 Page 2

Roy

Is there any mention in the diary for July 1916 or there abouts of a draft to the 2nd Btn from the 7th Btn. The history by Vale mentions a draft of men from Gallipoli who were in the line end of July who had not been issued with steel helmets. I'm researching one of these men and trying to find out when he joined the 2nd Btn.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

14th May 16

"A draft of 77 other ranks joined the Battalion this day. About half of these men had seen active service before in France or Gallipoli."

18th June

"A draft of 20 other ranks joined the Battalion this day."

3rd July

"........ and 45 other ranks joined the Battalion."

Roy

Roy

Thanks as always for your great help. :)

Regards Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Roy,

Please could I trouble you for the BWD entries for 8-9th August 1916. There appear to be some discrepancies between the 17th Middlesex war diary and South Staffordshire regimental history.

I should also say that if you ever need any information about the 17th Middlesex that might assist with your 2nd South Staffordshire research, please let me know.

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR,

There appears to be a problem posting pictures at the moment. When this is resolved I will happily post the info that you need.

Roy

AGWR,

The action is on two pages and the print quality is not good but here is the first.

AGWR,

Second page.

Roy,

Thank you for this. It certainly adds a few useful details. On the next page does it state whether Capt Walter Fluke was commanding a party of 17th Middlesex or 2nd South Staffs?

Regards,

AGWR

The only reference to him in this action is on the second page posted. From that I would infer that he was still with the S. Staffs. What makes you think otherwise?

Roy

This extract is from the 17th Middlesex war diary for 8-9th Aug16:

Major WH Carter [2nd South Staffs, but acting CO of the 17th Middlesex] , commanding the battalion was called upon to organise a strong bombing party to isolate ‘Machine Gun House’ from the German system of defences. First attempt was made by a strong party of 2nd S. Staffs at 2:30am the 9th instant. After heavy bombing this failed, the position being too strong. At 4:30am another raid was organised. A strong bombing party with Lewis guns made a determined demonstration towards Point 66 the right flank of ZZ Trench. The enemy immediately retaliated and put over a very heavy artillery barrage. Immediately the CO had decided the demonstration had drawn fire and he thought the enemy had concentrated towards that point, he ordered Capt Fluke, 2nd S. Staff to proceed with the bombing party of 20 Brigade bombers and 50 bayonet men of 17th Middlesex from Point 56 along German trench running SE. '

It's a bit confusing. I have spent hours trying to disentangle the various fragmentary accounts of this particular attack. Does this extract tally with your understanding of events?

Regards,

AGWR

Quote "It's a bit confusing. I have spent hours trying to disentangle the various fragmentary accounts of this particular attack. Does this extract tally with your understanding of events?" Unquote

No idea! Now I know where you're coming from I'll look into it in more depth.

Roy