Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Staffordshire

Roy Evans

Roy,

Many thanks for posting the two images, seems like 16/17th were bad days. If possible, could you please re-post the first of the two images, I'm having trouble downloading a readable version.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Roy,

Many thanks for posting the two images, seems like 16/17th were bad days. If possible, could you please re-post the first of the two images, I'm having trouble downloading a readable version.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

The original is far from perfect, my copy appears to have been taken from an original 'carbon copy'. I have attached the scan again but if you still can't get what you want, P.M. me your address and I'll mail you a photocopy.

Roy

post-336-1131825292.jpg

Chris,

The original is far from perfect, my copy appears to have been taken from an original 'carbon copy'. I have attached the scan again but if you still can't get what you want, P.M. me your address and I'll mail you a photocopy.

Roy

Roy,

Second time lucky, thanks for your patience..

Regards,

Chris.

Roy,

I forgot to mention. The business about no entry for the 17th is a bit odd. Checking back on SDGW for casualties between 15th and 20th Feb, there are 64 listed. But they are ALL dated 17/02/1917! So what happened and on which day? I guess we can only speculate. It is stated that "casualties both in officers and other ranks very very heavy" - judging by the normal understated tone of a typical War diary, this could mean bloody awful and I wonder if such an attack would be pressed home on a second day on an already alert enemy.

Regards,

Chris.

Roy,

I forgot to mention. The business about no entry for the 17th is a bit odd. Checking back  on SDGW for casualties between 15th and 20th Feb, there are 64 listed. But they are ALL dated 17/02/1917! So what happened and on which day? I guess we can only speculate. It is stated that "casualties both in officers and other ranks very very heavy" - judging by the normal understated tone of a typical War diary, this could mean bloody awful and I wonder if such an attack would be pressed home on a second day on an already alert enemy.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

In the light of your comments, I have re-read the relevant entry in the diary. On the 16th it mentions being in Bruce Huts in the evening and it then goes on to say "At 5.45 a.m. our barrage opened ......"

This must mean 5.45 the following morning which would be the 17th.

Roy

Chris,

In the light of your comments, I have re-read the relevant entry in the diary. On the 16th it mentions being in Bruce Huts in the evening and it then goes on to say "At 5.45 a.m. our barrage opened ......"

This must mean 5.45 the following morning which would be the 17th.

Roy

Roy,

I think this must be right. I missed the point you've made. But sadly, the 17th was a black for the battalion. I wonder what lies behind the comment "It afterwards transpired that the attack had been given away and the German line reinforced with men and machine guns. "

Regards,

Chris.

Roy

Could you please post the diary entry for 22/7/16,I'm trying to gather info on a Walsall man killed in action that day.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

No help at all. Was he K.I.A. or D.O.W.?

They don't seem to have been in action for a couple of weeks prior to this date.

Roy

post-336-1132079978.jpg

Thanks Roy

It would help if i gave the correct date it was the 27th.

The entry gives me the answer I required,the man was killed in action that day,the entry says that they relieved the Royal Fusiliers under heavy shell fire,so I would hazard a guess this was when he was killed.

Regards Doug.

Thanks Roy

It would help if i gave the correct date it was the 27th.

The entry gives me the answer I required,the man was killed in action that day,the entry says that they relieved the Royal Fusiliers under heavy shell fire,so I would hazard a guess this was when he was killed.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

In the light of this, I've just gone back to check that there is no continuation for the 27th and there is not, it's all on the posted page.

Roy

Roy

Thanks for checking.

Doug.

At enormous expense, is that another pint you owe me?

Hello Roy,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me out.

My great grandfather James Harris was in the 2nd Batallion, he joined the South Staffs at Lichfield on 22nd March 1900, he was under age and so he used an Alias of William Jones. I have his army book and other documentary evidence that links James Harris & William Jones to be the same person both having the same army number.

As a prequel, he served in the 2nd Boer war and then in India, he served 9 years and then left the regulars, going to the reserves. I think that he had finished the reserves when the Great War started, but as an 'old sweat' he was called up quickly and he served nearly all the way through the war.

He was killed by a shell on the morning of the 3rd February 1918, I have some letters one of which says that he was with Company Headquaters as a cook, when a shell exploded and killed 6 men.

He is buried in Met-en-Coutre cemetery in the Pad-de-Calais

I was wondering if you were able to locate any information regarding the events of 3rd Feb 1918 and if at all, where he would have likely to have been when he was killed.

Kindest Regards

Neil Harris

Hello Roy,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me out.

My great grandfather James Harris was in the 2nd Batallion, he joined the South Staffs at Lichfield on 22nd March 1900, he was under age and so he used an Alias of William Jones. I have his army book and other documentary evidence that links James Harris & William Jones to be the same person both having the same army number.

As a prequel, he served in the 2nd Boer war and then in India, he served 9 years and then left the regulars, going to the reserves. I think that he had finished the reserves when the Great War started, but as an 'old sweat' he was called up quickly and he served nearly all the way through the war.

He was killed by a shell on the morning of the 3rd February 1918, I have some letters one of which says that he was with Company Headquaters as a cook, when a shell exploded and killed 6 men.

He is buried in Met-en-Coutre cemetery in the Pad-de-Calais

I was wondering if you were able to locate any information regarding the events of 3rd Feb 1918 and if at all, where he would have likely to have been when he was killed.

Kindest Regards

Neil Harris

I'm sure I can, I'll have a look when I get home.

Roy

I'm sure I can, I'll have a look when I get home.

Roy

Ok, Roy thanks, I'll look forward to what you can discover. Please though, there is no rush, as and when you can - I'm just greatful for the help :-)

Kindest Regards

Neil

Neil

Roy will give you the entry from the diary,but this is some information from the "History of the South Staffordshire Regiment" by Jones

"The Battalion remained in the La Vacquerie sector all the month of February. There was normal trench warfare until the 3rd, when the Germans shelled the lines throughout the day, causing many casualties by direct hits on left support Company's Headquarters."

Regards Doug.

Neil,

Diary page as requested, let me know if you want more.

Roy

post-336-1132341791.jpg

Neil

Roy will give you the entry from the diary,but this is some information from the "History of the South Staffordshire Regiment" by Jones

"The Battalion remained in the La Vacquerie sector all the month of February. There was normal trench warfare until the 3rd, when the Germans shelled the lines throughout the day, causing many casualties by direct hits on left support Company's Headquarters."

Regards Doug.

Hello Doug,

Thank you very much for replying aswell to my question, its been a big help. I now have a better idea of what happended to James.

Kindest Regards

Neil

• 1 month later...
Hi I would be interested in any mention of Captain Henry Mitchell Powell KIA 9/12/1914

Many Thanks - Richard

Richard,

Do you know which Battalion he was in?

Roy

Roy

He was in the 2nd Btn,but was attached to the 1st Btn Dorsetshire Regiment.

Regards Doug.

Roy

He was in the 2nd Btn,but was attached to the 1st Btn Dorsetshire Regiment.

Regards Doug.

Thanks Doug.

Richard,

Sorry but I can find no mention of your man in the 2nd S. Staffs diary.

Roy

Roy

Could you please do a look up for 29/7/16.

Regards Doug.

Just as an aside here pals.......

The 6 S/Staffs war history book that Roy obtained for me has a number of

names added to the picture plates.

For example, on the plate between pages 64+65 showing three soldiers on Hill 60

someone has added these names under each person.

From left to right they are

Len Tinsley....Bill Bissell.....Jimmy Borick

There are as I say quite a few more with names added.

PM me if you want any more info guys.